Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

radios/mixing and Y's

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

radios/mixing and Y's

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 09:00 AM
jamersoniiv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radios/mixing and Y's

Hi, I've putting together a 6 channel plane (.90 Seagull Yak 54), I have a Futaba T6YG (Skysport 6) which is 6 channel however I have 2 seperate elevator servos and 2 seperate Aileron servos. I had planned on using a Y extension on the elevators to plug into 1 channel and a reversed Y on the ailerons. But reading a note in this forum there appears to be a dispute as to the reliability of these things.

So a couple of questions
1: Are they reliable?
2: If not and Iwanted to mix the aileron servos and the elevator servos, would this tx/rx combo do it for me? www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p

if not what would, need to keep this as cheap a solution as possible, without sending it up there and it falling out of the sky due to crappy parts.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give me on this.

James
Old 01-13-2011, 09:15 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: radios/mixing and Y's

No need to reverse an aileron servo, but depending on your setup you may need to reverse an elevator servo (maybe not)

My personal choice is to keep things simple. If no reversing is necessary I would use 2 Y's.

Since it's a 6-channel plane and you have a 6-channel radio you can't really use two channels for either the ailerons OR elevators, so your only solution there would be to use a reversing Y or a JR Matchbox.

Finally, no, the 6EX is a great radio, but it is still only 6 channels (which you have already used up) so you'd have to get a 7 or 8 channel radio if you wanted to Mix one of them
Old 01-13-2011, 12:15 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless the servos are set up in an unusal way, you should just need a standard Y for the ailerons. I know some people are not comfortable with a Y but a good quality one is fine in my opinion. In fact, I often make my own.

I would consider using 2 separate channels on the elevator because it will allow you to fine tune the neutral position and throw on each side if the control horn geometry isn't exactly identical between the two. It isn't an absolutel necessity though. If your radio isn't cable of mixxing then you can use a reversing Y or matchbox if you want. If you do not need to reverse on elevator servo, even better.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:19 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Chuck, he's got a 6-channel plane and a 6-channel radio, so all of his channels are full. So he HAS no extra channel to slave a second servo to.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:30 PM
rlipsett

if you do mixing for elevator servos make sure your radio can link the channels so that when you use the trim lever both elevators move together not just one. I have seen it done master to slave with no linking before and people wonder about the roll
Old 01-13-2011, 02:20 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Chuck, he's got a 6-channel plane and a 6-channel radio, so all of his channels are full. So he HAS no extra channel to slave a second servo to.
Yah, I see that now. 6 channels on a Yak though? No flaps, no gear, should only need 4 channels wouldn't you think? I think they mean 6 channels if you use separate channels for the ailerons and dual elevator servos?

Old 01-13-2011, 02:43 PM
jetmech05

I use Y's, and have only used one reversing Y.....I haven't had a problem....but a reversing Y has a small circuit board on it......the more there is in a circuit the more there is to fail.
Depending on how the ailerons are mounted you should not need to reverse a servo....because the aileron servos or the aileron servo arms are opposite of each other so that the servos moving in the same direction gives you opposite aileron movement.....not so with your elevator servos usually they will have the servo arms both mounted down to have enough room to clear the horizontal stab, but since they are on the opposite sides of the fuselage they move opposite but the servo arms are opposite so you get opposite movement....instead of both moving up or down together.....so you either need a reversing Y or the abillity to set an Aux channel for the elevator.....
I hope that didn't confuse you.
If you can assign an Aux channel to an elevator servo it is better, because there is less in the circuit to fail....
Good Flying
Old 01-29-2011, 03:31 PM
oldflyrw11

JAMERS one solution to your problem might be to use two different brand servos. and use the Y harness. I. E. one futaba and one hi-tec of comparable size. as they rotate different directions. howeve you will have to be sure the transit time is comparable also.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:47 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not a big fan of the Ys or leads but I just built a friend a Cub. His radio is really old, brand new but old, no mixing at all. I thought he had the same radio as I have, the Futaba 9-C but I was very wrong. I set his plane up for the bigger radio and discovered my error. I needed to use the reversing Y on the elevators but just a standard Y on the ailerons. I mounted the servos opposed for the ailerons. It was a set up mistake on my part but the Ys saved the day. Just because I'm not a big fan of something doesn't mean I never use it!! You do what ya gotta do!!!
Old 01-30-2011, 06:02 AM
BillyGoat

James, to answer your first question... I've used the reversing Y with no issues. Although I will admit I didn't have total trust in the product and have not used one in a long time. Not since I started using Hitec's servo programmer and their digital servos.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:26 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It's not hard to reverse a servo if you have some basic soldering skills. That lets you use a standard Y.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:26 PM
jetmech05

I don't recommend using different brand servos on any Y......It has always been my understanding that dual servos on a Y need to be the same brand, type, and torque