Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

aerotech models int p-38

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

aerotech models int p-38

Old 01-24-2011, 03:07 PM
oldflyrw11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aerotech models int p-38

I have aquired through a trade an old A.R.C. put out in the 1980,s from the paperwork I think it was imported from england sold by ziroil plans. It is a foam model covered with obechie veneer. 74 inch wing span requires 40 to 45 glow motors. just wondering if any old or new builders have ever built one any info on this model will be appreciated. I have a printed pic of the finished plane and if I remember it seems there was an article in R.C.M. in the 80's about this kit. thank you in advance. OLDFLYRW11
Old 01-24-2011, 05:36 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: aerotech models int p-38

ORIGINAL: oldflyrw11

I have aquired through a trade an old A.R.C. put out in the 1980,s from the paperwork I think it was imported from england sold by ziroil plans. It is a foam model covered with obechie veneer. 74 inch wing span requires 40 to 45 glow motors. just wondering if any old or new builders have ever built one any info on this model will be appreciated. I have a printed pic of the finished plane and if I remember it seems there was an article in R.C.M. in the 80's about this kit. thank you in advance. OLDFLYRW11
I would like to see some photos of your kit, I don't recall ever seeing one. You can phone Nick and ask about it. If you could post some shots I really would like to see it, the 38 is my all time favorite plane.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw one fly many years back. I knew the builder who didnt think much of the kit, he got it at a swapmeet. He said the wood sheeting on the foam wing delaminated at the seams. I have an aerotech B-17. Same kind of build. The wood sheeting on the wing is doing the same thing. I'm going to have to strip the mylar covering off, fix it, then glass it.
Edwin
Old 01-24-2011, 08:38 PM
oldflyrw11

Guess I should have been a little more clear about the pic's they aren't photos just the pictures I cut off the box and one that was printed on printer paper. I will try to take a photo of the boxtop if you are really interested. I don't know how to post a pic on the forum so will need some help. thanks DALE
Old 01-25-2011, 07:46 AM
oldflyrw11

EDWIN did you get the B-17 kit new? If so when. Can't remember when the kit came out. Sheeting is bad on my P-38 also. I am in the process of resheeting with 1/32 balsa. air frame seems solid and worth the effort. Good luck with yours oldflyr
Old 01-25-2011, 09:24 AM
Edwin

No, I bought it at a swapmeet last year. I bought it because I new the complete history of this plane and know the builder personally for many years. From when it was a kit at a swapmeet, till my buddy bought it and built it. He was not impressed with the build. I bought it cause I've seen it fly for about 5 years. Its a handful but ok if you stay on top of it and dont relax. He told me to land hot, but I didnt think it was that bad. It stayed stable to touch down. Its covered in coverall (mylar) and you can feel the ridges underneith. Havent decided to what extent yet I'll do the repair. I'll probably start the repair next month. I want it ready for flying season this year. I have about 3 flights on it now and am getting more comfortable with it.
Edwin
Old 01-25-2011, 07:58 PM
oldflyrw11

EDWIN what is the wing span on your B-17? I will keep you posted on my rebuild. I think if I use solartex or coverite fabric I can get a smooth everlasting finish..from what I have experinced on my plane is. IF you try to take off the covering the veneer will come off with it. You might be able to smooth out the finish if you put solartex over the mylar then shrink it with a heat gun. I thought about doing that with the P-38 and see if I could pull the veneer ( mine is not covered) down but the veneer was so bad I just decided to redo the whole thing.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:22 AM
Edwin

The ws is 104". Its been reshrunk so many times the seams are starting to loose their tack and some areas just wont shrink anymore. It gets hot enough here in the summer that nothing you do short of using a paint on glue under the covering is gonna keep it from wrinkling. Its just a fact of life everybody puts up with here. If big chunks of sheeting come off while stripping it then I will probably take it down to the foam. I really dont want to do that because I dont have the opposites (I call the shucks) to put the wings in and sheet. It becomes a bigger problem holding with wing true. I dont want to think about it until I see what it does. I bought this as a practice plane for a future DS B-17 build.
Edwin
Old 01-27-2011, 06:19 PM
oldflyrw11

EDWIN where is leander TX. WE spent one winter in farr tx in 2006 now we generally go to AZ. last year we spent a couple of weeks in kerrville in feburary. rained on us the whole time but we enjoyed it. I love those B-17's they are my favorite plane. lived next to an airbase in nebraska when I was a kid and fell in love with ww2 planes. In 1986 I built a 120 inch b-17 from bob holman plans had 4 rossi 40's on it. weighted 36 lbs. and flew like a fighter with that much power. I had 9 flights on it and put a bomb on her for each flight. sold it and it is now hanging in the local airport in Gillette WY. I have tried to buy it back but the guy won't sell so I have been looking in to the D.S. b-17 also cause I could put gas engines on it instead of glow. I fly mostly gas now and a few little electrics. better get off here before this gets boring. OLFLYR
Old 01-28-2011, 04:52 AM
Edwin

Leander is in central Tx outside of Austin. I fly and teach in Austin at ARCA. And yeah, winters are pretty mild here. Fingers cant take the cold.
Edwin
Old 01-28-2011, 12:55 PM
oldflyrw11

Sounds like you are pretty close to Kerrville. We sure did like the looks of that hill country around there. Well good luck with your projects. I will check in from time to time as I work on this P-38 OLDFLYR