Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How Much Titebond Glue Is Enough?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How Much Titebond Glue Is Enough?

Old 01-28-2011, 08:49 AM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How Much Titebond Glue Is Enough?

Like everyone else that has used alephatic resin (water based wonder glues - but NOTGorilla Glue) somewhere along the line the end result didn't cut it. It was bent, twisted, tweaked, ____________ (fill in the blank).

I recently used too much alephatic resin (Titebond, Elmers) with an end result being warped pieces because of water content. Yea, it was left to dry, weighted, and left overnight. When it initially come off the board it was dead straight. Later, a nice bend evolved. There's no doubt in my mind that Iused "too much" glue. But how much is enough? I'm looking to better understand (and share with the RCUcommunity) how best to use alephatic resin. Please - no "aw, you can just shrink the covering, you can reverse bend, you can ...". These are all fixes that I believe can be avoided by "doin' it right"the first time.

So, please share your "best practice" for applying the right amount of alephatic resin for things like:
    [*]Stick end to side - one stick's end (exposed end grain)with another stick's side[*]Sheet side to side - joining 2 sheets (e.g. 1/16" x 3" x 36") to create a bigger panel.[*]Block to block - for instance building up a cowl[*]Sheet to frame - applying 1/16" sheeting to a stick frame (end result has no opening for the moisture to escape)[*]Or any other gluing issue that you have run into.[/list]Thanks for sharing!

BTW- does it ever bother you that RCUtimes out a reply while your typing? Better ctrl-a, ctrl-c the whole mess before hitting "OK"
Old 01-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: How Much Titebond Glue Is Enough?

Look, TB #3 and no warps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Even before the server change there was one server that gave you the time out before you could type and one server that gave you HUGE photos? You would have thought the new servers would have fixed that??? With all these probelms with the new servers I bet someone feels silly for changing at all!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93246.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1554585  
Old 01-28-2011, 09:56 AM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have started typing everything in 'Notepad.' I get it ready, open a new post (or click reply), then copy/paste.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:08 AM
SeamusG

Gene - nice "laughing"horse. Need a profile pilot that looks like that. Son, you do good work.

ORIGINAL: carrellh

I have started typing everything in 'Notepad.' I get it ready, open a new post (or click reply), then copy/paste.
Carrel - when you c-and-p with Notepad (not Wordpad) does the resultant post have the editting garbage too? I've used Word and the results get stunk up with "word commands".

Oh - the field is 65 degrees, sunny, 2-5 mph - outa here ...

Old 01-28-2011, 10:20 AM
carrellh

For stick end to side: I read somewhere that you should apply glue to end grain and let it dry. Then apply a small amount of glue and join the parts. I've never tried this. I guess I got lucky when I built the cointrol surfaces for my Uproar. They are a bunch of sticks and they did not warp.

For edge gluing sheeting I squeeze the edges tight against each other and put masking tape on the seam. Then fold one sheet back, apply glue, wipe off most of it, unfold the sheets, and puta few weights on top to hold it flat. Maybe I've just been lucky but this has worked for me.

I've never glued big blocks

I've heard of applying a thin film of wood glue to framework, letting it dry, then ironing the sheeting on. I've never done it. I'd think you'd want to drill a vent hole in the framework if possible.

I've experienced warpage when using Titebond (or similar) to glue doublers to sheeting, specifically fuselage sides. I do not know a solution so I use CA for this now.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:30 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As a kid I was taught: Apply glue to both pieces. Wipe off as much as you can with your finger. Put the pieces together.

Obviously you can't use this method in all cases, but it gives you the idea of how much is needed
Old 01-28-2011, 10:32 AM
carrellh

Notepad is plain text, sort of. If I type a double quote in notepad it pastes a funny character into the RCU editor. Single quotes paste in correctly. That's the only issue I see. I use the RCU basic editor rather than the WYSIWYG version.
Oh - the field is 65 degrees, sunny, 2-5 mph - outa here ...
I'm jealous...... We have a perfect day today and I can't leave work. The weekend forecast is chilly, cloudy, windy, rainy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60039.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	1554638  
Old 01-28-2011, 10:45 AM
NCIS

I use Titebond and use it sparingly. I add the glue in a small bead and then with a small paintbrush just coat the surface. Then put the parts together and clamp them in place if possible. I haven't ever had a warping problem by applying it this way. In addition doing it this way it sets up in only a few minutes instead of 30 minutes. It just oozs out a little bit and that I wipe clean with 91% alcohol, NOT WATER!!!

Barry
Old 01-28-2011, 11:22 AM
SeamusG

ORIGINAL: NCIS

I use Titebond and use it sparingly. I add the glue in a small bead and then with a small paintbrush just coat the surface. Then put the parts together and clamp them in place if possible. I haven't ever had a warping problem by applying it this way. In addition doing it this way it sets up in only a few minutes instead of 30 minutes. It just oozs out a little bit and that I wipe clean with 91% alcohol, NOT WATER!!!

Barry
Note for the future - keep planes charged up!!!!! Charging is taking waaaayyyyy to long

Barry - never heard of the alcohol approach - makes sense - keep water away from the wood.

Thanks Mike - simple approach, easy to remember.

How quickly does alephatic resin "skin over". Is that an issue in how well or poorly the glue will hold up?

Old 01-28-2011, 12:15 PM
NCIS

The quicker it sets and the smaller amount as long as it is completely coated makes for a much better bond. Otherwise your just gluing glue to glue. I am able to continue work on my builds 15 minutes after the thin coat of glue is applied and sets strong. I have tested it and the parts can not be pulled apart after 15 minutes with my method.

Try it you will like it,

Barry
Old 01-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a Giraffe Bank, Proto type made from walnut, lots of glue but when it's 3/4 inch hard wood there isn't any warp. As to dry time of wood glue. We can glue up a couple pieces of hard wood and in 30 minutes to an hour start turning it on a lathe. The club saftey officer just about had a cow when he found out what a few of us were doing. The club rules now state over night dry time. I use tite bond #3, just a habit but the most used in the shop is #2. I make up custom chopping blocks with the #3 and it is dish washer safe so I would say it's pretty tough stuff. I figure I was using too much for building planes because I was getting a lot of warping. Went back to CA. I still use the wood glue for sheeting foam.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:36 PM
SeamusG

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

It's a Giraffe Bank,
Hey Gene - so what do Iknow about horses and giraffes'

Ilike original Titebond as it sands easier. But, if I were more careful IIor IIImight be a better tool.

Since I'll be repairing my LT-40 soon (poor battery testing on my part today) I'll put this stuff to a test.