Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How to remove scratches from canopies?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How to remove scratches from canopies?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:38 AM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to remove scratches from canopies?

I have a couple hairline scratches in my custom Corsair canopy for my 125" F4U-5N Corsair and would like to remove them. But I am afraid of trying to polish them out because it could dull the entire thing. Does anybody have a product and method for removing scratches? Please show me your before and after pix's so I can see how well it turned out. I can't replace this canopy because it was made in the UK by a friend and it was done as a one time thing. So I definitely don't want to make it worse. If I can't remove it cleanly I will just live with it and consider it weathering.

Barry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54760.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	1554643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29601.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	1554644  
Old 01-28-2011, 12:26 PM
TedMo

Default RE: How to remove scratches from canopies?

Afraid I'm not much help but even if I had done so in the past it may not work for you because of the various plastics that may have been used. I do know this since I've done it on plexiglas. Toothpaste is a very mild abrasive and will polish some plasticks.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:31 PM
huck1199

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The silicone stuff that they sell for eyeglass scratches may work.  It is the same stuff they sell for coating minor surface scratches on cars.  I have not tried it yet but  have been meaning to. 
Old 01-28-2011, 12:42 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Future floor wax sprayed with an airbrush will make most scratches disappear .Even if one or two persist, i believe the real planes get scratches on canopies also. Think of it as weathering
Old 01-28-2011, 12:48 PM
NCIS

My canopy is very thick and I think is made out of styrene. It was made by Graham Buchanan who owns Tiger Models and sells the XXL Corsairs. I might email him and see if he has any answers. I just now found a product I bought from my local Auto Body Supply store that sells to body shops. They are also nice enough to sell wholesale to the general public. If I remember correctly I bought this to remove scratches in small canopies. I also don't remember if it worked all that well. Has anyone heard of and used this stuff with good success? I don't know if it has a shelf life either because I bought this along time ago.

Barry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94710.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1554698  
Old 01-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not that product but I have used the plastic lens scratch remover for head light lenses found in auto stores with good results. I do it by hand though and haven't tried the polishing ball. I was afraid of over heating the plastic.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:37 PM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

NCIS, thats all i use on my motorcycle windshields. I have also use it on my CARF canopies with good results. I use it with a rag & polish by hand....Gene
Old 01-28-2011, 03:46 PM
NCIS

ORIGINAL: gene6029

NCIS, thats all i use on my motorcycle windshields. I have also use it on my CARF canopies with good results. I use it with a rag & polish by hand....Gene
Gene,

Are you refering to what I have pictured in my earlier post? If so I can save money and just use it.

Thanks,

Barry
Old 01-29-2011, 01:38 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, i use the Novus products alot. I use the #1 bottle every time i wipe down a windshield. You may have to start out with the #3 on your scratch and progress backwards to#1. when i worked as a line boy at the local airport, our FBO woud only let us use that stuff to wipe the front windshields on our planes.....Gene
Old 01-29-2011, 08:41 AM
NCIS

Thanks Gene!