Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

is it necessary to remove battery pack out of transmitter??

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

is it necessary to remove battery pack out of transmitter??

Old 02-09-2011, 08:56 AM
emederos
My Feedback: (78)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it necessary to remove battery pack out of transmitter??

i ask this question because i once heard at a club that when not flying take the battery out the transmitter? i have a nimh pack that is 9 months old i always leave it in my radio. I noticed it has like a damp (wet looking part) on the bottom cardboard looking end, i wanted to know if it leaks with heat or for not removing it from transmitter?
Old 02-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: is it necessary to remove battery pack out of transmitter??

Neither NiCad nor NiMh should leak. However, if they were ever exposed to a high temperature or were overcharged at a rate that raised the internal temperature to the point where the gas pressure generated inside the battery blew the seal, then it could leak electrolyte with resulting corrosion and/or degradation of the surroundings. These batteries have a plastic seal at the positive end that can be deformed at high temperatures or internal pressure. This is a safety factor to keep them from violently exploding when improperly charged. An added problem, if the batteries are NiCad, is the generation of black wire disease when that electrolyte leaks. See http://www.hangtimes.com/redsbatteryclinic.html for some good info on batteries including "black wire disease".
Old 02-09-2011, 09:34 AM
emederos
My Feedback: (78)

It's not necessarily a leak it just looks darker in one corner than the other, maybe it came that way and I never noticed it. I keep my transmitter in my aluminium case in my home at 73 degree temperature throughout the day this should be fine right?
Old 02-09-2011, 09:36 AM
jetmech05

Rodney is correct...no leaks....there is no need to remove the battery from the tranmitter...unless you plan on putting it in storage for a while.....perhaps 6 months or more
If you get a new battery, and I would, step up the capacity as well
Old 02-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have always left mine in the TX but I have mine on a trickle charger at all times. I also fly pretty much every week. My battery was 10 years old and I just replaced it last week with a new one I had made up. The cycle was showing it was getting time to replace. I had a new pack made up for me at Batteries Plus.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: emederos

i ask this question because i once heard at a club that when not flying take the battery out the transmitter?
This may have been part of helping with frequency control instead of impounding the radio. If there is no battery, there is no chance of accidentally turning on the TX and shooting down another plane.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:53 AM
ron ward

i don't know about the leaking situation, i never had that problem, but i would think,...when you turn the switch off on the transmitter, it's the same as un-plugging the battery, so it shouldn't leak "electricly".
Old 02-11-2011, 02:37 AM
Oberst
Banned

I don't take the batteries out at all. I keep my planes in my house where it is warm and dry. I only take out the batteries if there's a problem with the charge, and usually- that is very rare and almost nonexistent.

Pete
Old 02-11-2011, 02:43 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

If you charge your radio at the field with a peak charger then you must remove the battery. The diode in the transmitter will not allow the field charger to sense the peak.

And some modellers are now using LiFe/L-ion batteries in thier transmitters. Again, these should be removed to allow the charger to sense the peak and in case of fire.

If you are using NiCd batteries or NiMh batteries and a timed slow charger you can safely leave them in the radio.