Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

New auction plane question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

New auction plane question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:32 AM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New auction plane question

I purchased a Venture 60 plane at our clubs auction yesterday, it is complete ready to fly, but I don't have any other info about it. the plane does not look like it has been flown before, or if it has, very little. It appears like the builder is a good builder and everything looks very clean and neat. He has a battery in it that is wrapped in foam then a piece of balsa holding it in. I could get the balsa out with a couple of hours of work (to take it out and put it back the way it was).

if this was your plane, would you trust the battery that is in it?

would you try to cycle it (I have no idea on how big the battery is)

or would you just replace the battery?

Thanks

I am very excited about this plane
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18413.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1562882  
Old 02-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New auction plane question

Personally, I would replace the battery with one I know about. Why risk the plane for a 20 dollar bill.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:16 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd cycle it a couple of times to be sure of it's capacity and absence of high self discharge. If okay, use it. I'd also pull the tank and check the plumbing; i.e. clunk integrity and clearance and absence of any wear or crimps. Of course checking of all screws etc. shouldn't need to be mentioned.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:13 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No Way - Do not fly that battery as is!

First it is buried you have no way of knowing its age or its capacity and I trust no one, especially someone selling something.

Without that info (batt capacity) there is no way you can properly cycle it therefore it is a crap shoot on its age and performance. On Airplanes like this though brand new its very common for the fellows to stick heavens only knows what in for batteries, could be anything from cobbled up radio shack to good packs and age is of course a complete mystery. Nicds do have a self life and I do not use stuff over around three yeas and I do not give them away to buddys, I value my flying buddies friendships.

There are lots of airplanes like this that often are the product of builders and not flyers, in many cases you have to develop the skills to properly set up controls and balancing so forth. There is nothing wrong with that but you do need to hone your own abilitys.

I have picked up many older and second hand airplanes and I may reuse servos if already there but never the batterys and never the receivers. I always replace packs now with five cell types and always Nimh with capacity of say two to three times what was considered the norm just a few years ago. There are many packs out there now six volt an major mah's for around fifteen bucks. Don't screw around with unknowns.

John
Old 02-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Minnreefer

Thanks guys, I think I will take the battery out and put in a different one. I think it may be a new Futaba battery, the tx that came with it does not look used at all, maybe he built it for someone and they never finished paying of it. I am very happy with the purchase, the plane, a SuperTiger 61, and a Futaba 4 channel tx and rx for $150.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:58 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey MR, yup sounds a lot like someone who was not a flyer. You did not say which model the 4 channel is but even if the battery was never charged the radio could date all the way back as far as the 1991 narrow banding in which case even a battery just taken out of original packaging I want no part of.

John
Old 02-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm of the Buckner school of flying, I would check everything in the plane. If you can't see the battery it could be a 4.8 or 6 volt so I wouldn't know where to put the switch on my cycle machine. I would cycle and see what kind of shape the battery is in though, at least just for grins. If it shows it's good I'm still not sure if I would use it or not??Depends on what my charger is telling me. I love a good auction though, I have gotten some of my best kit deals at them. Something I really miss sense I moved here.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:51 PM
wldhair
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at the same auction and bought 2 aircraft . I got home later that evening and took a look inside one of my purchases . The receiver looked ok but the battery was actually dated 4/99 !
Nice of someone to date the battery ( I do this with all my batteries)
I immediately replaced the Battery and the RX , assuming the RX was just as old .
Put a short charge on the new Battery just to check things out and she jumped to life
Next I checked every screw and bolt on the plane , every connection. Don't skip anything
Double checked balance .Put a few drops of "after run" on the plug hole and worked the prop a few times , as I'm sure this plane was sitting for a long time , the engine loosened up and I'll be ready to try and fire her up as soon as the snow melts LOL
Good luck with your purchase !
Old 02-18-2011, 07:00 PM
FireBee
My Feedback: (34)

Check the fuel tank and stopper for security also.

I just bought a plane at an RC auction and the gent saids he flew it three months ago. Battery Pack 1000Ma Nicad would hold 850 ma after 2 cycles. replaced it with $18.00 new JR 4 cell.

Servos were very old so out they went. 5 standard futaba's.

I went to start the engine and dang if the fuel didn't started running out the wing and fuse joint.

But now, the OS 70 four stroke purrs like it should and awesome flyer.

Firewall secure, plugs, control horns, clevises tailwheel.... Check everything to your standards!!!