Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fight for what is right or fix it, forget it, move on?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fight for what is right or fix it, forget it, move on?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 01:18 PM
klb919

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fight for what is right or fix it, forget it, move on?

I purchased an AirField 182 RTF from an online retailer that I thought had a better reputation than many of the others I have seen mentioned all over the internet. The plane looks perfect and arrived with all of the pieces included as described and my son and I were pretty excited about it, that is until we pulled the transmitter out of the box and the right stick fell off. We looked closely where the stick is supposed to be attached and the little plastic piece is cracked in half. I called the "Customer Support" number over and over and have been disconnected while in the que every time. I see that is a dead end. I sent an email nearly a week ago to the sales group at the company asking for help and even included pictures as I have learned this is almost always one of the things they ask you to do as they try to protect themselves and not the customers. I know there are probably some folks out there that buy, fly, crash, and try to return and they have to protect themselves too, but this was broken before it was out of the box. Their "online support chat" always seems to be "offline" as well. I feel like these guys are trying to make themselves unavailable because they do not want to own up to their dirty business.I

With all that being said, I have read more and more often here that this practice is becoming acceptable. I am having a hard time swallowing that since at least half of my order was right, I need to just eat it because I got an awesome deal on a RTF plane. I probably could fix the transmitter myself or at least replace it with another 6 channel transmitter of similar quality for $50 or less and that would get me off the back of the .com retailer that doesn't care to begin with. My son would likely be ditching the included receiver for a Futaba 7C if he deccides to stay with the hobby like dear old dad.

I just need a little advice... Is it worth it to pursue this any further and try to force them to treat their customers right and fix what is wrong, or should I just suck it up, realized I've been had, and try again somewhere else?
Old 02-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fight for what is right or fix it, forget it, move on?

Who is the distributor?
Edwin
Old 02-20-2011, 04:11 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you paid by CC or PayPal, file a dispute now!. It may get fixed with no problems, but be on record, in case it strings out for a long period. Filing a complaint will often get the ball rolling.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:49 PM
ron ward

i've completely abandoned buying on-line because of similar "deals". unfortunately, some times the only way to get thier attention is to hit them in the wallet. TLH's advice is right-on. enough card disputesand the CC co. will pull the pin on them.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:07 PM
klb919

I bought the plane from Nitroplanes.com.  From everything I had read in the forums, they did sound better than the some of the other retailers regarding the way customer's problems are handled and most seemed like they were met with some sort of amicable solution. I guess I knew fully well that there was still a potential for problem, but I was swayed by the great price.  
 It has been a week since I sent them the email and have not received a response.  Customer service like that would get me fired from my job. I will keep trying to catch their support person online.  I want to give them a chance to make it right, because I would love to buy more planes and parts from them at reasonably cheap prices.  If this is the best they have to offer though, I'll be heading back to the brick and mortar stores and will contact PayPal for a dispute.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Edwin

I would dispute it right now. Their record isnt that great. They may have tried to clean up their act but giving them a break would be a mistake. Common practice is to out last you and go past dispute deadlines.
Edwin
Old 02-20-2011, 07:21 PM
klb919

I believe you are right, Edwin.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:32 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Nitromodels/Nitroplanes has a support forum on RCU. The guy who maintains it seems to be pretty responsive.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_456/tt.htm
Old 02-22-2011, 11:49 AM
KitBuilder

If you want it done right.... or know what your getting... build it yourself   There are fantastic deals out there.. truly amazing at times.. but buyer beware..
Old 02-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I purchased an AirField 182 RTF from an online retailer that I thought had a better reputation than many of the others I have seen mentioned all over the internet.
I don't know where you got that from, if you use the search feature on this forum you'll find that most people don't recommend Nitorplanes for anything other than a project plane.

That being said, the only way to get support from them is through the Nitroplanes support forum on this site. They'll probably make it right if you don't give them too much time to forget about you.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:39 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was wondering where he got the good references from, also. These complaint threads pop up almost every week.

I have never purchased from Nitroplanes, just because of what I read on RCU.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:07 AM
Edwin

I've purchased from Nitroplanes 3 times. And for the most part went well. Just the quality isnt there. I dont buy from them anymore cause I know its a real hassel getting customer support out of them.
Edwin
Old 02-24-2011, 01:22 AM
klb919

I read a few of the positive reviews here and a handful more on another RC site.  I didn't see hundreds of positive reviews, but there were some, and I was a little more trusting seeing that they showed a trend of at least having communication with customers after the sale. The other place I was considering for a cheap foamy trainer for my son to bruise up a little was Banana Hobby, but I could not find any good reviews for them so I took a pass on that retailer and decided to try my luck at Nitroplanes. I'm not surprised that I ended up with a problem with the order, just disappointed as I was hoping for more.  I'll try the support forum here and see if they want to work with me replace that transmitter or if I will have to send the whole thing back and nix the deal through PayPal.
I have learned a little lesson here and I am happy that this venue is around to educate folks like me on what all is new and different in the hobby.  I am still very new to RCU and enjoy it, so please forgive me for initiating another one of those complaint threads about retailers peddling junk with no service.  I get it now.  
Thanks!  
Old 02-24-2011, 08:30 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

No forgiveness necessary. I'm just glad you haven't gotten discouraged due to a bad first experience.