Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What does your club do to promote itself!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What does your club do to promote itself!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 10:49 AM
DAKOTANOVASS
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does your club do to promote itself!

I'm curious to see what other clubs do to promote their club and this hobby. I'm a member of a fairly new club "06" and like all clubs only have a few members that take charge to do something. I want to be one of the take charge people to help promote this club. I have wanting to do a two fold flyer promoting the club and some type of fundraiser. So any type of feedback is greatly appreciated. Please show me any type of advertising you may do also.

Thanks

Terrell

[link]http://bamrcflyers.org[/link]
Old 02-21-2011, 11:09 AM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What does your club do to promote itself!

Website - check out the weather tab - online camera and weather station ...

We have free-and-open-to-the-public training nights (trainers & buddy box systems) every Thursday nite (late spring thru fall), hold an annual mall show (January), visit and speak at scouting events, host an airshow in conjunction with a local community's fall parade, volunteer to local university's aero-engineering school (Univ. of CO - Boulder).

Old 02-21-2011, 11:00 PM
ron ward

both clubs near me, have a the open to the weeklypublic night, and occasionally advertise thier flying daysin the local paper , inviting the public to come watch and ask/learn. they both have an annual show during the local "airport day" and one has a show at the shoppingmall in town. one of the two is affilliated with the local hobby shop and there are always fliers there promoting the club's functions. the two clubs fieldsare only about 20 miles apart andmost allof themembers belong to both clubs, yet oddly, there seems to be somewhat, acompetative drive for membershipbetween the two clubs.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:25 AM
Villa

Every year the small full scale airport in town holds a fly-in for full scale planes. Our club puts on a static display of our models in a roped off area and members answer all questions about our hobby. We do the same thing at another full scale airport near by. Last year a few of us helped the local Civil Air Patrol cadets build a SPAD model airplane. We then offered to teach them all to fly model airplanes using our club trainer and our flight simulators. We also flew the plane they had built. We also advertise our club on a free TV advertisement sponsored by a local school. We also have a few fly-in events every year that draws a large croud of people. A few years ago we participated in a program through the AMA that advertised the hobby and we ended up with a few free trainer planes and I believe two free copies of the RealFlight flight simulator. We crashed one of the trainer planes at the event and I believe the AMA replaced it. That is a great program and I believe it was available to all clubs. I am not certain of that so please check it with AMA. That is all I have. I am the club News Letter Editor.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:56 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a number of things our club does to promote itself and the hobby. Each year, we hold an event called the Y Fly, in which we invite parents and children from the YMCA Indian Guides to the field for the day. All children get the opportunity to learn about basic aerodynamics, build gliders or rubber powered planes and fly on simulators. All are then taken up and allowed to fly buddy-box with the club trainers.

We also host the SAE International Collegiate heavy lift contest.

We are now looking into the new AMA program to team with local schools and have been contacted by a local middle school which is looking to start a school r/c club. We will be working with them and are looking to put together a joint project.

We also attended a number of local aviation events in the area.

For the past 4 years, we have had a booth at the AMA Convention in Ontario, which we use to promote the major club events to both the public and vendors. We generally have an AMA sanctioned event every other weekend. In 2010, our Electric Director won a lifetime AMA membership for having signed up the most AMA members that year in the Nation.

Also, our club flys out of a public field that is open to anyone. One of the other things we do is raise money, mostly through our events, to make improvements at the public park. Last month was our grand opening for the improvements in the park flyer area, which includes an 80 foot long shade structure with tables and a solar powered charging station that can supply enough power for dozens of chargers.

Now some things to keep in mind is that our club celebrated its’ 60th anniversary last year, has about 20 Board members, and typically ends the year with over 300 members. We are also located in the second largest city in the country.

There is also a thread in the Clubhouse here on RCU that, while not about our club specifically, is about the field that our club calls home called Sepulveda Basin.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=839955

You can check out our main website at
http://www.valleyflyers.com/
Old 02-22-2011, 08:33 AM
jetmech05

we do toys for tots fly in, entry fee is a toy of 10 bucks or more......IMAC competion,......get with the boy scouts or a school and do a class on aviation, aerodynmatics, and then put the kids up on a buddy box.......offer free flight instruction to new members....advertised with your LHS......and then get a web site...
Good Luck
Old 02-22-2011, 06:55 PM
DAKOTANOVASS

Thanks everyone for the input that you have given, our club does alot of the same events also. We have a mall show coming up on March 5, fun fly in June and September and try to do a snow fly in January. I guess the main thing I was wanting to see was how your clubs promote itself to the public when you have these events, such as (event flyers, newspaper articles, tv advertisments, club brochures, etc). With the being said, would anyone have any type of advertisement they could post to show me. I am not very creative when it comes to making advertising flyers and such.

Thanks
Terrell
bamrcflyers.org
Old 02-23-2011, 11:04 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mall Shows

Local Town parades

Adult night courses
Old 02-23-2011, 04:34 PM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

Our club flies a big blimp at the all the University of Montana men and womens basketball games both at halftime and before the tip off... it has the name of the local mall on it and they give us a stipend for doing this as well as the announcers dropping our club name whenever it goes up
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	uu60836.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1568872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67274.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1568873  
Old 02-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Live Wire

??????
Old 02-23-2011, 06:02 PM
DAKOTANOVASS

That's cool[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-23-2011, 07:04 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

We do a veterans parade and Xmas Gig each year.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94453.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1568939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66696.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1568940  
Old 02-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Mk23socom

ORIGINAL: Live Wire

??????

???.. hmm??

Old 02-25-2011, 06:25 AM
Live Wire

[]???
Old 02-25-2011, 09:25 AM
Mk23socom

[]???
Indeed

Old 02-25-2011, 09:32 AM
Live Wire

ORIGINAL: Mk23socom

[]???
Indeed

You bet atleast TWICE a year Still trying to think of something
Thats how many time I make it to the field[:@]
Old 02-25-2011, 11:59 AM
carrellh

We have a very basic web site that does come up in Google and Yahoo search results and it's in the AMA club search. We do not do any promotion. We get a few new members each year but also lose a few so we average 25 to 30 members year to year. We jumped to 47 several years ago but they were guys who only stuck around for 1 or 2 years.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:38 PM
BillyGoat

Our club has a website and has participated in a parade. Our biggest attention getter is an annual airshow where we simply invite the public out to the field to have hotdogs and burgers while we poke holes in the sky. At this event we also have a couple trainer planes on hand to take guest up on buddy box. It's not uncommon to get a new member or two.