Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Crook it engine mount “help”

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Crook it engine mount “help”

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:08 PM
wflite
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crook it engine mount “help”

I have a Hobbico Nexstar I bought used. It looks new; the guy I bought it from told me he had another guy fly it once. He was getting out of the hobby and I purchase three planes from him. I ran the engine like it was new the first time, 10% nitro one tank so I could try to get it to idle. But I saw that something was wrong. The motor mount had come loose from the firewall. After tighten the bolt back down it look like the motor mount is a little out of square with the firewall. Will this affect the flight of the plane?[/b]

I am thinking this will. The engine mount is new and with some kind of shock build in.

I thinking I should shim the engine mount at the firewall. The airplane has not been crashed. Any help

Old 02-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Phoenixangel

Default RE: Crook it engine mount “help”

If the front of the engine is cantered to the right (looking from behind) this is pretty normal as long as it is not to far usually about 2 degrees. Right and down thrust are normal and built into a lot of arf and rtf planes. I suggest posting a picture from the top down over the engine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92457.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	1567816  
Old 02-21-2011, 02:08 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: wflite

After tighten the bolt back down it look like the motor mount is a little out of square with the firewall. Will this affect the flight of the plane?[/b]

I am thinking this will. The engine mount is new and with some kind of shock build in.

Yup it will certainly affect the flight but its a good thing if it is like the drawing posted by PheonixAngel also there may be a bit of pointing downward and agine this is a good thing most highwing cabin types handle just a little better with some right and down thrust.

A shock mount is not normal for that airplane but one can certainly be used if desired.

Congratulation doing a buy out locally from someone who is quitting is a great way to get started and I encourage it. But do understand that frequently setups under these circumstance is sometimes rather poor (CG, control throws, pushrod linkage setups and so on) so its important to get a checkout from an experienced mentor before flying and in some cases before running engines if one is totally new.

John
Old 02-22-2011, 05:34 AM
wflite
My Feedback: (24)

Thanks Phoenixangel, John for the advice. I think the engine is mounted like your diagram show. I am going to try to send pic.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28827.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	1568159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68047.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	1568160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67233.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	1568161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92956.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	1568162  
Old 02-22-2011, 07:22 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

That's just how it should be. Your plane will fly just fine with it.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Phoenixangel

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

That's just how it should be. Your plane will fly just fine with it.
What he said, glad to help, thanks for the pictures. Have fun !