Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Balance problems (falls to tail or nose)

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Balance problems (falls to tail or nose)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 02:57 PM
xcz5785
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Balance problems (falls to tail or nose)

I'm all done and have my Seagull Yak 54 on the Great Planes balancer. It is exactly 5 1/2" from the leading edge close to the fuselage. I added weight to the tail to get it neutral. T[:@]he problem is it will fall back or forward if not in the exact center. So it going to be unstable? It's like balancing an egg on a knife edge! Can upload pics if it will help. HELP!
Old 02-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Balance problems (falls to tail or nose)

You're talking about a static balance, the plane sitting still, supported by your balancer or fingers. The problem is your actual CG point is above the support points.

Try flipping the plane upside down. If that doesn't provide a stable static balance, then rig a Vanessa balancer. It involves suspending the plane from a point. The CG will fall directly below the point. Search for Vanessa, you'll find several good threads.

Good luck!
Dave Olson
Old 02-26-2011, 03:31 PM
xcz5785

I'll give that a try. It's mid wing and tried both inverted and upright. I see what your talking about. The weight is always going to be on top making it unstable. Hanging it by the wing tube might be the solution. thanks!
Old 02-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leave it nose heavy and make small adjustments based on flight characteristics. The balance point is just a reference.

Characteristics include down elevator pressure to maintain inverted flight, and 'hands-off' performance during an inverted, 45 degree climb (should just slightly fall off a straight line). Also 90degree banking turns, if the nose or tail falls...
Old 02-27-2011, 09:53 AM
xcz5785

How do you balance your planes? I asked for a GP "pro" Balancer for Christmas now I'm not so sure it works all that well. The last plane I ended up hanging from the ceiling with little eye bolts (picture frame hanger) in the spar!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:41 AM
SeamusG

Vanessa rig.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Fingertips for general setup, and balance based on flight characteristics. Make small changes each flight until it gets where you want it. I think the balancing rigs are a total waste of money as you're only looking for a reference point, and a fraction of an inch either way won't kill you.

Just pick the plane up by somewhere, on the fuse, wing, inside the canopy, wherever you can put enough pressure to grip and lift the plane where the fuse can pivot on your fingers. This is not a precise science until you start your trimming flights.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:47 AM
SeamusG

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

Fingertips for general setup, and balance based on flight characteristics. Make small changes each flight until it gets where you want it. I think the balancing rigs are a total waste of money as you're only looking for a reference point, and a fraction of an inch either way won't kill you.

Just pick the plane up by somewhere, on the fuse, wing, inside the canopy, wherever you can put enough pressure to grip and lift the plane where the fuse can pivot on your fingers. This is not a precise science until you start your trimming flights.
Balancing rigs a total waste of money - my Vanessa rig was made of materials that I had in the basement - cost 0$.

Finger tip setup - early in your experience - it is difficult to tell if a trainer is just nose down or a whole lot nose down. Find a friend so that you can see the plane's attitude from a distance. Then there's low wing, mid-wing and bi-planes.

Everybody's got an opinion. 3-way, 4-way or 5-way chili - personal choice - good to have options.

BTW- there is a rule of thumb when trimming an airplane at the field. 1/4 oz at the tail will move the CGback 1/8". 1 oz. at the firewall will move the CGforward 1/8".

Most importantly - Have fun
Old 02-27-2011, 01:07 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I would have to agree with gaRCfield on the matter of setup. The recommended CG can be off by a few percent of the wing chord and you will still have a successful first flight assuming everything else on the plane is right. Where the rigs really come in handy though is in record keeping. When the plane is flying well, it's nice to be able to write down all the measurements in case you crash and have to do repairs. And if you get in the mood to tinker, you can precisely return the plane to the proven configuration that worked. My rig came in handy a few months ago when I upgraded the engine in my stick. I was happy with the CG, so when I put the heavier engine on I was able to put it on the rig and add lead to the tail until it was exactly the same. I didn't even need to adjust the trim in the first flight with the new engine.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:57 PM
xcz5785

Thanks guys! I'm getting back into this after 20 years. ALOT of changes since then, too many options now, especially since the internet came about. Before we just did the finger method and that was good enough. I will make a Vanessa balancer, seems easy enough. ^I thought my head was going to explode when I was researching batteries! I'm just sticking with NiCds and NiMh for now. But now I cycle them, just used to charge and go back then[X(]. But I digress! If anyone else has an interesting way of doing balancing i'd like to hear it. What is the consensus about hanging it from the wing tube (if that coincides with the suggested CG) between a gap in the fuse and wing?
Old 02-27-2011, 04:18 PM
G-17S

balance it wings off on the tube or pass a string thru the tube remember, that fuel tank will be heavy when it is full balance it empty use 5 cell 6 volt batteries about 2000 mah and fly all day. gary
Old 02-27-2011, 05:11 PM
TedMo

Go with Garcy nothing that critical. Final useable balance is done by flight testing. Do start with slight nose heavy though.