Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What elelc motor for .40 trainer?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What elelc motor for .40 trainer?

Old 03-02-2011, 12:39 PM
proffate61

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What elelc motor for .40 trainer?

Well, it was originally a great planes elec arf trainer - 10 some odd years ago. Took a brushed 540 motor and 6 cell nicad back back in the day but with the major advances in RC since then I"m thinking i'd like to put it back to gether and try it again (I gave up the RC hobby after a crash or 2 with it. Back into the hobby now with a rock crawler and RCHeli).

So I've got some 3s lipos and a spare receiver for a spektrum 6DXi, the futaba servos are still in the plane. A bit of a tail fix and it should be good to go.

But I want a modern brushless motor, and what for a prop and mount for he motor and prop.

The plan is good old covered balsa build - not foam, not super light weight, 40" wingspan typical 4 channel trainer. Back in the day it flew maybe 5 mins and had to be hand launched, had a folding prop too.

I know more now, have a sim to play with, know oreintation from flying helis so Ithink this time it may work. And Ihave a 10 year old son that won't shut up about airplanes!

Thoughs and input?Advice?
Old 03-02-2011, 01:54 PM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: What elelc motor for .40 trainer?

What mah and C rate are the lipos?

What kind of budget? Are we talking Hacker and Castle or Turniggy gear from Hobby King?

play around with Ecalc and see what you like
http://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc_e.htm?castle
Old 03-02-2011, 02:17 PM
proffate61

If you want to get specific...HK perhaps? I see brushless motors for under $15, got one for my 450 heli for $11.70 (3500kv outrunner) But for that they list what they're for so I could pick from a few.

For the plane I'm totally lost. Went to an indoor elec fly in outside cleveland back in december and wow, the world of e-flight has changed sooo much from when I was last involved.

The lipos I have on hand are 3S 1100mah, 3 s2200mah and some smaller ones. I doubt the 1100 is good for a plane. The 2200 may be a bit small for flight time but would get me going for cheap.

I have a 60a esc in the heli -overkill but everyone was out of stock on the preferred 40a ones, so I plan to get a 40 and can move the 60 (it's got a heat sink so figure it's better inside a fuse than the completely sealed ones for helis, plus planes probably are not at full throttle or close like a CP heil is so there's more heat to dissipate)

I wasn't too sure about the cheap chinese clone parts but they do work.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:39 PM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

I forgot to ask. what does the plane weigh?

The 3S-2200's are probably the pack to use.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:27 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

http://rchotdeals.com/Products/rc/Br...orsandESC.html

This website lists "combos" that work together. I have use several successfully. But, we really need to know the weight of your plane. I'm guessing it is in the 4-5 lb range. BAsed on that, the smallest combo, on this page, I would recommend is the A 2820/6. You can click on each component and the site will give you the specs for each component. Now, there are 100's of places you can get the power system. Most US sites/hobby shops will help you if you call and give them your requirements. Most Chinese sites won't. And please, if you call a US site for help, buy the equipment from them. This should give you a start. Also, there are many ARFS available for purchase. Find one similar to yours and duplicate that power system.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:29 AM
proffate61

I do try to support american businesses and the LHS. 90% of what I got for my heli came from hobbypartz not HK- not sure how much difference htere is there in reality.

But one has to define 'american'. According to how the US measures car content the Ford F150/250 are not american made vehicles, just most Hondas are.

Based on where the  profit  goes buy Ford, but if jobs and trickle down matter buy Honda.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:02 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am guessing here about the plane. I am figuring it is about the size of an Electric Cub. I had a Cub and started with a brushed 540 and 8 nicds. I am going to put this power setup in my Cub. It should be close to what you need. so a 40 inch span balsa trainer type plane, guessing it will weigh in at about 2 to 3 pounds ready to fly.

Here is the 10 sized [link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/monsterpower-101100kvbrushless-motor.html]motor[/link] or a little bigger [link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/monsterpower-15950kvbrushless-motor.html]motor 2[/link] Here is the [link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/volcano-40a-brushless-electric-motor-speed-controller-esc.html]ESC[/link]

Online calc program

http://www.s4a.ch/eflight/motorcalc_e.htm

I ran the Monster power 10 with a 2100mah 3s lipo, APC 11X6 prop through this calc program and it lists 62 ounces of thrust. So that gives you just over 3 1/2 pounds of thrust.

Running the Monster power 15 gives only 3 ounces more thrust.

Buzz.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:38 AM
heavy metal thunder

Not knowing the weight of the plane, The products sold from HobbyPartz, an Alpha 480, with a 30 amp ESC and a 9x5 prop should fit the bill. Add a 2200 mah 3 cell, 20 to 25 C rated battery should give you about 5 to 6 minutes of flying time. This should give you decent performance while keeping the costs down.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:22 AM
RhyanO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

I have also been researching converting an electric trainer (Tower Hobbies Trainer 40) to electric power. 5lb airplane.

I have found a good setup that I think will work and I will attach some links so you have a direction of exactly what to purchase.

HeadsUP RC out of Florida has a motor, speed control, and battery that have all been tested on this exact model so we know it works and what to expect from it performance wise.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail

On the HeadsUP RC website they recommend a 4248-08 motor. A 70 Amp speed control W/O BEC. You will use an external reciever battery. Which is a good thing because you can put that battery up in the nose to help offset the weight difference between a glow engine and the electric motor. They also recommend a 4 cell (4s1p 3200 mAh 25C) battery.

So taking that information I shopped around and found everything (Motor, Battery, ESC, & 4 Servos) at HobbyPartz.com for under $130 with free shipping. Not a bad deal.
Here are those items.

Motor: http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m605-big...020-670kv.html

ESC: http://www.hobbypartz.com/volcano-se...less-esc1.html

Battery: http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl4000-4s1p-30c-4444.html

Servos: http://www.hobbypartz.com/43gexiseb11.html

So from either website you should be able to get a really nice, useable electric setup for your trainer.

Ryan
Old 03-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

My opinion is to use a .40 size electric motor from Great Planes/Tower or E-flite/Horizon. You get customer service and something that you can feel confident will perform to spec. Lots of stuff from Hobby City/China ends up coming out at different kV, falling apart, running hot, etc.

If you are just starting out, you can get a motor from a reputable distributor and learn electric power with a solid foundation.

My first venture to electric power was with a 'decent' electric motor company. The motor is/was WAY over rated, and many of us are having issues. I have been waiting 8 months for a warranty replacement that should perform as rated.

I have a few small electric products with Hobby City parts. The parts might be cheap, but often I find myself replacing, upgrading, or trying something different as basically it's a guessing game.

I'm tired of experimenting; I want planes that fly right, the first time out. Maybe when I'm a little more settled with a house, shop, and a few reliable planes, I'll start experimenting again.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:05 AM
proffate61

I get where you're coming from, but the lure of cheap is very tempting...I have a just finished hobby king 450GT heli, an align 450se2 clone, including 6 ch 2.4g radio,shipping and all for $203.
But the first set of 4 servos had 2 fail - one I fixed one I could not (so you could say $233...). But it works. Even the $39 radio. Would the $600 true align/dx6i be better? Hard to say. I would certainly hope so.

I also prefer things to work right the first time and I know the 'chinese' cheapies - be they tools, car parts, or RC items can be hit or miss. Other than the two servos everything has been top notch. Manuals are weak if they exist at all, there is no warranty/cust support as far as I"m concerned (the shipping to return something to taiwan usually exceeds what is cost in the first place)

If I go with a brushed motor I have a speed control I can use, if I go 'modern' - an outrunner brushless motor then I'll need a speed control, a prop and attachement bits.

I dug out the plane and to be honest, I might almost be better off to buy a new foam based trainer.I've seen some for $150 or less and some include the servos, motor, esc - just add radio. something like this http://www.nitroplanes.com/4chrtffmssky.html perhaps (and it even includes the tx for $139)

I'm familiar with the heli world and wish I knew then what I know now - I'd have saved a few hundred dollars on helis that didn't do what I wanted.

Not sure what the 'ideal' trainer (for outdoor elec flight) is these days.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:49 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

prof, I have thew older version of that plane. It does fly very well. I use a 2200 3s battery in mine. I have a handful for my 450 sized helicopters. So the 2200's get double duty.

Buzz.