Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

On-Board glow plug starter

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

On-Board glow plug starter

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 07:40 AM
Aiden88
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default On-Board glow plug starter

I am building a 1/5 cub kit and I have my 4-stroke inverted. Can someone recommend a brandofremote glow plug starter and where to buy? Ilooked on tower and they have a couple Sullivans but I would have thought they'd have more brands. Any tips or tricks suggestions are welcome.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: On-Board glow plug starter

This is what your going to hear from most of us, just tune the engine correctly and the on board glow ignitor isn't needed. Another thing is have the tank mounted just a bit lower then normal, {center line of the tank level with the carbs spray bar would be normal} You can look up the EXPERT ON BOARD GLOW IGNITER and read about them. Just having the tank mounted correctly and tuning your engine is the best bet.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:21 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you talking about an on board glow driver as opposed to a remote glow connector then I would suggest that the on board glow driver will be a rather poor band aid for for the real problem. That problem is the choice to use an inverted engine mount.

This problem is endemic with many Cub models simply because its almost impossible to lower the fuel tank low enough due to the upswept nose area. As noted by GB it must be lowered or you will suffer a number of running problems that on board glow can only partially help.

This is why virtually every Cub kit or plan will suggest a sideways mount which will if the model is to be a J-2, J-3 or J-5 then a single cylinder engine will simply be sticking out the right side in the proper position and its simple to add a fake on the other side. If your cub is to be a Pa-11, PA-12 or a PA-18 then the sideways engine is simply hidden in the cowl cheek as on the full scale or perhaps a small cut out for the glow plug or possible the top of the cylinder head.

I can say however many airplanes are lost almost constantly due to the sometimes irrational insistance on no holes in the cowling.

John

Old 04-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

If you talking about an on board glow driver as opposed to a remote glow connector then I would suggest that the on board glow driver will be a rather poor band aid for for the real problem. That problem is the choice to use an inverted engine mount.

This problem is endemic with many Cub models simply because its almost impossible to lower the fuel tank low enough due to the upswept nose area. As noted by GB it must be lowered or you will suffer a number of running problems that on board glow can only partially help.

This is why virtually every Cub kit or plan will suggest a sideways mount which will if the model is to be a J-2, J-3 or J-5 then a single cylinder engine will simply be sticking out the right side in the proper position and its simple to add a fake on the other side. If your cub is to be a Pa-11, PA-12 or a PA-18 then the sideways engine is simply hidden in the cowl cheek as on the full scale or perhaps a small cut out for the glow plug or possible the top of the cylinder head.

I can say however many airplanes are lost almost constantly due to the sometimes irrational insistence on no holes in the cowling.

John

I fly with a no holes guy. So far he hasn't lost a plane over it but I was able to talk him into removing some more of the cowl with every over heating dead stick. The idea of more air out then in finally settled in too. I just finished a CG Cub for a friend. He bought an aftermarket cowl from FGS with the molded in left engine. Even with side mounting the engine I had trouble getting the tank set correctly. The tank also took up a lot of the cockpit area. This little 72 inch Cub is going to be a float plane so he used an OS .91FS engine so a bigger tank was required, or so he wanted?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:19 PM
JohnBuckner

Ah yes the infamous secret society and ancient order of the 'No Holes People'.

Word is out that they are due to be on march yet agine this coming summer and they are recognizable by their secret recognition salute of two crossed 14 inch screwdrivers (AKA) needle valve adjustors
Old 04-02-2011, 02:42 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is link the design I have used now on three planes with twin-cylinder four-stroke engines. Just remove one of the batteries(rechargeable C size) from the diagram for a single cyllinder engine. The sytem is lighter and cheaper than a store bought brand. There is no need for a servo/switch arrangement as with other diy systems. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88...tm.htm#8907536
Old 04-02-2011, 03:50 AM
Aiden88

I obviously have my terminology mixed up. My 4 stroke runs like a champ, yes, even inverted. I thinkthe word "starter" is getting in the way. Does remote glow plug make sense?All I want is some way tostart the engine so I don't have to attachthe glow ignighter directly to the glow plug on theengine. This should have nothihng to do with tuning and all the other stuff you guys were talking about. And holes? What is the "noholes" thing about?
Old 04-02-2011, 05:31 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here you go, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBC35&P=ML
Old 04-02-2011, 06:32 AM
JohnBuckner

And here is another;

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD693&P=7

The difference between the two is often miscommunicated on these forums and that is why I responded with the way I did in the first sentance of my first response noting the differance.

The holes referrance in my first post was referring to the refusal many times for folks to provide sufficient access holes in a cowling for access such as needle valves, cooling and even just letting something on an engine stick out where needed and specifically where it may have applied to your airplane was if the engine was mounted sideways sometime a cylinder size releif is nessaary on the right side of a cub type that has a full cowling.

The Cub full scale models I noted also in that first post an the reason was to differentiate between Cub versions with and without full cowels

I am glad that your installation works well for you but with many Cubs It is far preferable to use a sideways mount.

John
Old 04-02-2011, 07:51 AM
Aiden88

Thank you very much fellas. I don't have a problem with holes, especially if it benefits the airplane and motor. I saw member khodges 1/5J-3 a while back andhe had a remoteglow plug thingyand that's where I got the idea.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Gray Beard

I'm still in coffe and smoke mode at the moment but in a while I will show you how to make your own remote glow igniter. The store bought units tend to break, come loose and you can see them. Mine do none of that and cost about half the price to make three of them. I will take photos for you. Now, another cup and smoke.
Gene
So, that's who has been taking my 14 inch drivers!!!! I better check my shop, the fellow was here yesterday!!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Gray Beard

The makem yerself remote glow igniter.
I get the parts from my LHS and Radio Shack. I use the MONO 1/8 INCH PHONE JACK part number 274-248 and I use the male plug in, don't have the number. Then I buy the glow plug caps for both four stroke and two strokes at my LHS. The metal twist on for four strokes and the rubber spring loaded cap for two strokes. I think they are a Cermark product. It's just two wires I solder onto the jack then run the ground wire and plug wire to the engine. Done. Same thing for the male end, just two wires soldered to the jack and two plugs or clips on the other end for your power panel or battery. I also made up a short plug with a glow plug on one end and the male plug on the other so I can also just use my small glow driver. You can see on these two planes how well they hide themselves. It takes about 10 minutes to make one up. The first time a bit longer. I do solder a round connector on the engine ground so I can just attach it under and engine or mount screw. How simple is that? I also am showing an on board glow driver, an EXPERT unit just so people know the difference between a driver and ignitor.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83622.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1587495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31474.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1587496   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27837.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1587497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw64797.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	1587498  
Old 04-02-2011, 02:35 PM
JohnBuckner

Aiden Cool and the hole thing had nothing to do with you that just turned into a little humor with GB and I, Hey GB did you see my 14" screwdrivers laying around the pits or somewhere

Now Aiden I am dying to know from you first post on, that Avitar has been driving me nuts. At first glance it was screaming out either Sparten or Harlow but somehow I don,t thing that is it. The side windows look wrong.

I think there may have been a similar one off civil type from Convair after the war. Any way its driving me nuts so what is it?

John

Old 04-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Gray Beard

Nope but after my firends visit yesterday mine are missing!!
Old 04-03-2011, 04:13 AM
Aiden88

It's a Fairchild 45. The guy in the pic is my dad. He didn't own it for very long, I believe he said it was expensive to fly. He's been gone a lot of years know so I can't ask him more about it. I have another pic ofhim and the fairchildon take off just after rotating. It's a coolshot.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:10 AM
Aiden88

Gray Beard, thanks for taking the time to show me. That's really slick.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:59 AM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: Aiden88

Gray Beard, thanks for taking the time to show me. That's really slick.
Your welcome. I have shown this a number of times but I may do a how to thread and ask it to be a sticky? I have a camera now that can take close up shots so a nice colored back ground would halp the small parts show up.