Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Plane storage

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:54 AM
planefreak123
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plane storage

Is it bad for a glow motor to hang the plane on the wall by the prop?
Old 04-01-2011, 10:03 AM
eagle1945

Default RE: Plane storage

some of my control line models were hung by the props and never had a problem over the years.  I oiled them up with 10w motor oil before extended inactivity.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:59 AM
jstrach

So along those same lines, I have a GP Super Sportster 40 with an old OS Max 35 or 40 I think it is. I can't see any markings or indication what size it is. Anyway, it's about 20 yrs old - it's been sitting in my parent's garage all this time. The motor was never prepared for that kind of neglect meaning I didn't oil it - and it appears frozen.

SO.... do I have any chance of bringing it back to life would you guys say? Or should I just plan on a new engine?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:04 AM
gearz

I would take the glow plug out and see if it turns over. Maybe add a few drop of nitro or afterrun oil and see if it turns without the glow plug. (Turning by hand). Most likely you may have to dissassemble the motor and either clean or repair parts, or if you want to skip the fun, you can just buy a new one.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:22 AM
jstrach

If I want to go down the path of getting something new/modern as a replacement motor for the Sportster 40, any recommendations on an engine?
Old 04-03-2011, 07:42 AM
Phoenixangel

Soak it for a couple of days in glow fuel, it will free it, then pull the backplate and check for rust, if there is a lot it needs new bearings. If you want a new engine any 40-46 sized is fine.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=GCD A lot of people will suggest an O.S. they are great engines and user friendly. I prefer either of the tigers Super or PRO Thunder. Both are more affordable and excellent engines.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:43 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: jstrach

If I want to go down the path of getting something new/modern as a replacement motor for the Sportster 40, any recommendations on an engine?
A lot of choices and everyone has a favorite. My old SS was a pretty heavy kit built plane and a .46 pulled it along fine. It could have used a little more power though. I like the OS .55 in a 40 size plane. My reasoning is the .55 can be used in a lot of the new 60 size ARFs and isn't over powering 40 size planes. Sort of a duel use engine. Engine choice is up to the buyer, I find OS pretty trouble free and easy for new pilots to tune. A no trouble engine right out of the box is a good thing. It's true though, it also means more money right out of your pocket but you will be hard pressed to find a better engine.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:49 AM
jstrach

Good information, thank you.

What about the Evolution engines that are appearing on RCU pop-up ads?
http://evolutionengines.com/Products...rodID=EVOE0461

Do we know anything about their performance?
Old 04-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Phoenixangel

Some people love them, some people absolutely hate them. I have the one that came with the H9 P-51 pts. I have taken all of the trainer junk off, flywheel, and needle stops. It was a real dog and did not run worth a crap with it on.

That being said it is a good reliable engine now. Not a powerhouse but solid.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Gray Beard

I'm not a big fan of them but I have seen here a lot of people like them. There is a thread floating around here as a poll asking for you to post your favorite engine. Either here or in kit building or beginners forum. Go look around for it and see what other choices are.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:16 PM
planefreak123
My Feedback: (5)

Heres something I learned, try putting a couple drops of lighter fluid in the carb. and the give it a couple hand turns. that usually does the trick!
Old 04-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Gray Beard

Only if it still turns over. Products like Marvel Mystery Oil will loosen things up too if the engine rolls. A couple of drops of lighter fluid is a trick all my east coast and mid west frineds do to get there engines started when it's freezing outside. It's good stuff!!!