Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

3 rudders = Tri-Harness?, or.....

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

3 rudders = Tri-Harness?, or.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 04:11 AM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3 rudders = Tri-Harness?, or.....

Well guys time is coming up for me to make a harness that will operate 3 rudders on my Constellation. Each rudder will have it's own servo. So now i need to either make a harness to connect all 3 servos as 1 for the rudder channel or buy something that will work for this application.

Nose gear will have it's own servo which will be added to aux channel on my RX and then mixed with rudder on my TX.

I just don't know if connecting 3 connectors with lead wires into 1 heavier gauge wire is really a good way to achieve this goal or not. l wonder how guys with DM S Connie models or other Connie models have achieved this goal.....hmmmm
Old 05-05-2011, 04:30 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 3 rudders = Tri-Harness?, or.....

Buy two "Y" harnesses. Plug one into your rudder channel, plug the second one into one port on the first Y harnes. Plug your three servos into the remaining three openings. See if they work without problem.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:02 AM
Props4ever

ORIGINAL: MajorTomski

Buy two ''Y'' harnesses. Plug one into your rudder channel, plug the second one into one port on the first Y harnes. Plug your three servos into the remaining three openings. See if they work without problem.

Major,

Good point, actually i thought about doing the same but was not sure if it will work or now, i will give it a try n get back to U on here...
Old 05-05-2011, 05:15 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JR has a product called Match Box which will allow you to plug up to 4 servos into 1 channel and adjust each individually. Futaba has a similar product. This would be better than multiple wyes. I don't know your other servo requirements, but a power box system might be useable or go with the new Futaba S-bus system. Several safe systems to chose from.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:19 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

A Smartfly Power Expander is a good option to look into also
They have models that you can plug 4 servos into each channel with no power loss to each servo, and the RX won't get overheated powering mulitple servos

I'm guessing a plane like that has at least 10 maybe more than 12 servos

good luck
Old 05-05-2011, 05:36 AM
Props4ever

ORIGINAL: Steve Percifield

JR has a product called Match Box which will allow you to plug up to 4 servos into 1 channel and adjust each individually. Futaba has a similar product. This would be better than multiple wyes. I don't know your other servo requirements, but a power box system might be useable or go with the new Futaba S-bus system. Several safe systems to chose from.

Steve,

My model is much smaller the DS S Connies are, it's 1/14th scale with 96" length and 108" Wingspan with tip tanks installed.

Servos on board will be:

3 for each rudders
2 or 1 super high torque servo in case of 1 servo
2 for ailerons, 1 each
2 or 1 180 degree retract or winch servo/s for flaps!.
small 2-3 servos for gear doors
1 small 9g to operate air valve for retracts
maybe
1 small 9g to operate all the nav lights
1 small 9g landing/taxi lights...

So in total of 14-15 servos will be on my model

Since my model will be powdered with electric motors, no servos needed for throttles!....

Sam
Old 05-05-2011, 05:40 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Steve beat me to it. I use a match box for four throttle servos. Futaba also makes a similar gizmo. If you're using fairly stout servos I would suggest the match box. It also gives you the ability to align them or even reverse a servo pretty easy. I also make my own Y cables when needed. FYI - Eflite has (3 way) Y cables for their tri gear electric retract setup. It comes with the gear. They might sell it separately.
Edwin
Old 05-05-2011, 05:53 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Props4ever,
Why are you using servos to operate your nav and landing lights? You can eliminate the servos (and I assume a mechanical switch) by using an electronic switch such as a Pico switch

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/picoswitch.htm

If you have a heavy load to turn off and on such as a motor or a smoke pump you can use an opt-kill switch used for killing gas engines. They can operate up to 20v and 16 amps.

http://www.rcexl.com/news/Accessories/10.html

Hope this helps

Ken

Old 05-05-2011, 06:00 AM
Edwin

What Ken said. Bad Brad Graphics has some opti-ignition switches for about $20. I've had good luck with those. In addition, I use a power bus splitter from servo city to separate receiver and servo power when using a lot of servos. Its not regulated but a whole lot cheaper. http://www.servocity.com/html/servo_power_boards.html
Edwin
Old 05-05-2011, 08:11 AM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: Props4ever

ORIGINAL: Steve Percifield

Steve,

My model is much smaller the DS S Connies are, it's 1/14th scale with 96'' length and 108'' Wingspan with tip tanks installed.

Servos on board will be:

3 for each rudders
2 or 1 super high torque servo in case of 1 servo
2 for ailerons, 1 each
2 or 1 180 degree retract or winch servo/s for flaps!.
small 2-3 servos for gear doors
1 small 9g to operate air valve for retracts
maybe
1 small 9g to operate all the nav lights
1 small 9g landing/taxi lights...

So in total of 14-15 servos will be on my model

Since my model will be powdered with electric motors, no servos needed for throttles!....

Sam
Why are you using Air for the gear doors and Electric for the Gear Retract Mechanism?, why not use small servos and a sequencer??

Old 05-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Props4ever

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Why are you using Air for the gear doors and Electric for the Gear Retract Mechanism?, why not use small servos and a sequencer??

No, it's the other way around. Retracts are Robart's 630 air operated ones and nose is fully custom gear assembly, it's also air operated.

Looks like technology has changed quite a bit, looks like Edwin and Ken has some very good suggestions here for me to consider. I have never used power box before but i do know then are good for electric power redundancy.

Ken, Can you please take some time and explain to me how power boxes works and what are different ways of using it including my application., I will highly appreciate it Sir!...

Old 05-05-2011, 05:34 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ken, Can you please take some time and explain to me how power boxes works and what are different ways of using it including my application., I will highly appreciate it Sir!...

These are simple "on-off" switches, however the are electronic. You plug the switch into a channel on your radio, and then you plug your device into"in-out" leads of the switch. When the selected channel is at one extreme the switch is "off" and no power will flow through it, move the channelto the other extreme and the switch is"on"and power will flow through it. You can eliminate a mechanical switch and a servo by using these instead.

Ken
Old 05-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Props4ever

ORIGINAL: Edwin

Steve beat me to it. I use a match box for four throttle servos. Futaba also makes a similar gizmo. If you're using fairly stout servos I would suggest the match box. It also gives you the ability to align them or even reverse a servo pretty easy. I also make my own Y cables when needed. FYI - Eflite has (3 way) Y cables for their tri gear electric retract setup. It comes with the gear. They might sell it separately.
Edwin
Yes Eflite does have tri "Y" harness and they do sell it for $7.99/harness.

I will be getting 3 of these tri "Y" harnesses....I don't see a point of making these when they are readily available as such a low price....

@Ken, Thanks for explaining how thees newer switches work, i will be considering it for this model.

Sam
Old 05-07-2011, 05:32 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I will be getting 3 of these tri ''Y'' harnesses....I don't see a point of making these when they are readily available as such a low price....

Sam

Hi Sam, Actually there are several important reasons when using a three way (or more) Y cords to make them yourself. First you will be able to utilize heavy duty wire to minimize resistance buildup from very long runs, something you wont find in those electric suppliers three and more way Y's.

The second and just as important reason is the ability to agine minimise wire by making up the complex Y's to fit the installation.

I have done many throttle Y's on lots of twins, three triples, two Quads and one six pack. In addition I have also done three twin boom center pilot pod airplanes using three ways for two rudders and nosewheel. This remains my preferred method although none are over 100 inch in wingspan.

John
Old 05-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Lnewqban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe a stupid idea, but I would use one central powerful servo with steel cable-sleeve connections to the out rudders.

It is not a 3D model, it is a trike, so rudder will be limited to crosswind maneuvers.

Best luck with your project.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Props4ever

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

I will be getting 3 of these tri ''Y'' harnesses....I don't see a point of making these when they are readily available as such a low price....

Sam

Hi Sam, Actually there are several important reasons when using a three way (or more) Y cords to make them yourself. First you will be able to utilize heavy duty wire to minimize resistance buildup from very long runs, something you wont find in those electric suppliers three and more way Y's.

The second and just as important reason is the ability to agine minimise wire by making up the complex Y's to fit the installation.

I have done many throttle Y's on lots of twins, three triples, two Quads and one six pack. In addition I have also done three twin boom center pilot pod airplanes using three ways for two rudders and nosewheel. This remains my preferred method although none are over 100 inch in wingspan.

John

Hi John.

Good points you mentioned here, it's just that i have never made aby of these type of harnesses before so i don't want to take a chance making them and next thing you know, something woing wrong in flight and i end up losing my rudders!.

I was thinking on same lines as you mentioned, unless You or someone could guide me how to make them properly, then n only then i will give it a shot.....

Lnewqban,

Well it's too late for adding on any mechanical linkages to this build now, but in future i will consider your suggestion on other models. Yeah it's not 3D but having 3 servos operating these rudder is sense of security and insurance also!.

Sam

Old 05-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Edwin

The simplest way to make your own harnesses is to buy extensions with the connectors already on the ends. Cut them to suit you and solder.
Edwin
Old 05-08-2011, 04:48 PM
scale only 4 me

Typically I'll extend a servo wire by soldering an extension, way more reliable than a plug in connection in the middle of a wing or fuse.

Once you solder just pull on the wire if you can't pull them apart you're good,, It is really very simple to do