Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Hobby Lobby Minitelemaster Floats

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hobby Lobby Minitelemaster Floats

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 05:24 PM
cap 580
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby Lobby Minitelemaster Floats

Where can I find floats for the mini tele? I would like to add floats and a .10 Supertigre brushless motor. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Crash-RCU

Default RE: Hobby Lobby Minitelemaster Floats

How long is the fusalage of the Mini Tele from the front of motor to the rudder hinge line. You want your floats between 70 to 80% of that length. Check out planefunfloats.com or seaplanesupply.com, they both make foam floats in a large range of lengths. If you need some help give them a call and they will gladly help you out and get you just what you need. You can go cheaper and get a set of GWS floats, Herr engineering also makes a set of built up floats that would probably work also they are all balsa and go together fast and are very light weight, they are sold by Sig Manufacturing. Only draw back to some is you have to seal the wood grain but then you can paint them with almost any paint you like. I have a set that I sealed with thinned epoxy finishing resin with no glass cloth then painted to match the plane.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:29 PM
cap 580

Thanks Garry for the info.  I have been in this hobby for about a year.  I thought the Mini Tele would be a good choice for my first attempt off water as it is an easy flier.  Is there anything else I would need to know about this first attempt? 

Old 05-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Crash-RCU

If it is a good flyer on land it should be just as good on water as long as the float you do get are not lead balloons. Give seaplane supply a call, they are very friendly and helpful and can tell you what floats you want and answer any questions you have about mounting them to your plane. They are light weight foam floats so they will never leak you just have to finish them. Float flying is my favorite kind of flying, never have to worry about which way the wind is blowing, no crosswind landing just point into the wind and go, the whole body of water is your run way. You will need to waterproof your ESC, Corrosion X works very well for this. I have a wide mouth quart jar with about 2" of Corrosion X in it, I just throw the ESC into the jar and completly submerge it and swish it around to get any air bubbles out of it I let it set over night then take it out let it drip dry pat it down then I use some alcohol and wipe down the out side so my velco will stick to it. Plug it in and your good to go since using this method I have not lost an ESC to water yet. I can not say the same thing about just using the spray canand trying to spray the inside of the ESC, I lost 3 ESC's to the water before going to the full dunk method. Have fun and good luck, Garry
Old 06-03-2012, 09:37 AM
cap 580

Finally got around to fitting a set of Hobbyzone super cub floats on my minitelemaster.  I am using a Supertigre .10 brushless motor with 2200 lipos.  First attempt was disappointing as it just did not want to become airborne.  Drained battery enoungh it limited Esc.  I tried a smaller prop and fixed that problem but now it when it does flnally come off the water it doesnt seem to have enough power.  Can anyone recomend a motor that would work with my components.  I think it has a 30 amp speed controller.  Even thought about installing an OS .10. Thanks Mike.