Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

ARF's are Kits?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

ARF's are Kits?

Old 05-26-2011, 05:59 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ARF's are Kits?

Nice work Dave, did you enlarge the rudder?
Old 05-26-2011, 06:05 PM
warbird addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You forgot one! " self righteous ego maniac blowhard azzwh0le" HANG THAT ONE ON THE ASS END OF YOUR NAME BIGSHOT IT CERTAINLY FITS YOU IF EVER IT FIT ANYBODY.
no offense I mean it in the most disrespectful way possible, you're right I REALLY don't like you and people who even remotely act like you RC or otherwise as you are the embodiment of whats WRONG with this hobby

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: ceecrb1

this is true..

Before that I was flying gliders in scotland.. so the idea of controlling an unbroken-in motor was new to me...

yeah I used to have a PIKE PLUS and a PRODIJ slope racers.
I also hand built a few sloap soares, some from kit & plans... and some from a plan designed within the club that I built from a balsa and ply stock I had to go and buy...
My very first plane was a balsa free flight kit needing tissue and dope covering...

Don't always judge a book by its cover and start acting like a mature adult rather than having a go at anybody in this thread who dares to have a differing opinion to yours.
Also, stop feeling so great about yourself that because you have a skill set, nobody else does. I PROMISE you there are things I can do that you wouldnt have a chance in hell doing. BUT, I am not going on forums, bragging about what I can do and judging others by my own abilities.
Hey Hoss! It ain't bragging if you can do it.

Judging others by my own abilities? Let's see if I got this right? Am I judging by bragging, or bragging by judging? You tell me.

Oh and by the way, people such as David Hayes, Graeme Mears, Mike Selby, Marvin Ebersfeld, Olen Rutherford and Ed Newman to mention just a few don't seem to think that I shouldn't be judging. Whatcha got to say bout that?

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Top Gun Team Scale and Unlimited Scale Outline Judge.

Got anything like that to hang on the ass end of your name?
Old 05-26-2011, 06:11 PM
ovationdave
My Feedback: (16)

No, thats a stock size for the rudder. I am working on the ultimate (midwest kit).........talk about a huge rudder!

Dave
Old 05-26-2011, 07:28 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dave what is under the hood?
Old 05-27-2011, 02:56 AM
ovationdave

I am sure I will get some grief for this.........its an el-cheapo. Its my first venture into a cheap import, an FTL-45 from Hobby King. Ihave run 3 tanks though it on the bench, and it seems to perform well, but I have to admit, I am a bit leary. I have heard this engine is OKbut it needs the front seal replaced so it doesn't suck any air. Iplan on doing that before the first flight, but again, so far just bench tested. Ifigure it if craps out or gives me any grief, I won't hesitate to yank it and put in a DL(that is assuming I get enough initial altitude to get it back to the field in one piece), but Ifigured for the price, I would give one a shot.

Dave
Old 05-27-2011, 03:46 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: GraemeEllis

Why don't we meet in the middle: The box contains a beautifully built and covered fuselage, and printwood, shear webbing and spars to build the wings...

Good business model, or have I alienated absolutely every RC pilot in one go? Nevermind...

The way I see it, every ARTF will end up a kit one day or another. It pays to know how to put it back together, though!
Why in the world would anyone meet in the middle? Bad business model, bad business model. Like building? What is stopping you? Please put that ARF down and step back sir...

Correction: The way I see it, every model (ARF or otherwise) will end up a kit one day or another. Actually, you have available something very close to what you propose. You can buy fiberglass fuselages for most of Ziroli's designs:-)

I think the whole argument (ARF versus kit) is lame, moronic, stupid, idiotic, silly. (and I am only using nice words)

You always find this discussions initiated by a insecure colleague stick kit builder. Yes, their number is shrinking, and from mainstream, they are going into a niche activity. Yes, the breed is on his way to been dead. Well, not dead, some of us will always find something to build, but the numbers are shrinking rapidly, amazingly rapidly. Insecure, stick kit builders attack people that favor ARFs. Oh well. Their share of the market shows this clearly. Heck, to keep the thing going even Top Gun had to open the doors to ARFS.

Enjoy the hobby in any way you see fit! To all those that think that their hobby is better than mine: Get a shrink, they actually can help people like you:-)

Gerry
Do not quote me on this, but I think Donald Trump is posting under an assumed name on this forum;-) I recognize an ego that size anywhere...
Old 05-27-2011, 03:50 AM
GerKonig

To: ceecrb1, I just realized you are in Valencia. I will fly to Barcelona on Sunday, got a couple of questions for you. Will try to find how to send a private message your way.

Gerry
Old 05-27-2011, 04:16 AM
ceecrb1

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

To: ceecrb1, I just realized you are in Valencia. I will fly to Barcelona on Sunday, got a couple of questions for you. Will try to find how to send a private message your way.

Gerry

Feel free to ask anything. I'll see how I can help.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:24 AM
ovationdave

Speaking as an insecure stick builder (just kidding......well, ok, maybe a bit insecure), I can only say that I have nothing against anyone that assembles, builds, whatever you want to call it, and ARF. If it gets the hobby to expand, I am all for it. I just wish the kit manufacturers would not forget about those of us that still enjoy the art of building, and those older than me that were the pioneers in the hobby. But I don't blame the consumer for that, I blame in industry. Not everyone has time to build, sometimes I am one of them and I just crashed my kit-built plane but need another airframe to get flying quickly before the summer ends.

Can't we all just get along?

~Dave
Old 05-27-2011, 04:42 AM
MinnSpin
My Feedback: (40)

What are the flight charateristics of that Sr Telemaster? What power plant? Does it float like a feather or drop like a rock?
Old 05-27-2011, 04:43 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: ceecrb1

Gerry

Feel free to ask anything. I'll see how I can help.

Thank you, just your recommendations of the best places to visit in Barcelona. My e-mail [email protected] I am staying on the Ramblas close to Plaza Cataluña.

Gerry

Old 05-27-2011, 04:51 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: ovationdave

Speaking as an insecure stick builder (just kidding......well, ok, maybe a bit insecure), I can only say that I have nothing against anyone that assembles, builds, whatever you want to call it, and ARF. If it gets the hobby to expand, I am all for it. I just wish the kit manufacturers would not forget about those of us that still enjoy the art of building, and those older than me that were the pioneers in the hobby. But I don't blame the consumer for that, I blame in industry. Not everyone has time to build, sometimes I am one of them and I just crashed my kit-built plane but need another airframe to get flying quickly before the summer ends.

Can't we all just get along?

~Dave

That's the attitude! I think people are just too polarized! If I like A, why on the world would I force-feed you A if I know you like B? Life is just too short, and time is too precious to waste:-)

Gerry
I am in this hobby because it is fun. I started in my late teens, and I am 60 now (still a kid, I know) and this hobby has been, and always will be part of my life. So do not tell me what is better for me, please:-)
Old 05-27-2011, 05:37 AM
ceecrb1

Thank you, just your recommendations of the best places to visit in Barcelona. My e-mail [email protected] I am staying on the Ramblas close to Plaza Cataluña.

Gerry
Sorry, cant help there.
I have only been to Barcelona twice, both times for work, i´ve only seen hotels, gigs and hotels... I only had 3 hours free one day in about 2 weeks worked in the city...

Have a good time there though!
p.s. it is quite warm here at the moment!
Old 05-27-2011, 05:43 AM
MinnSpin

That's a nice bird.If you ever get bored with it, you mightanimate the pilot figure.........head turn with rudder or isolated switch - a real crowd pleaser on the ground, albeitdifficult to seein the air. Butcool nonetheless.

I got the idea from ebay many years ago - a guyselling one that he built.Following a really roughday of flying I tooka rubber pilot(as seenin my VintagePica Waco)- cut his head off (middle of the neck) (pressure reliever) and performed the following labotomy......
-a 3/8"wooden dowl, glued a HS-55 four way servo arm to one end, fed the other end of the dowel into pilot head and secured with ashoulder screw at the base of hairline just behind the ear. I used two-sided foam tape to secure the servo in the chest cavity so that the gear resided just below the neckline, it took a bit of alignment, but in the end, it worked better than expected with more than 25 degree rotation from center.
- The pilot's head rotated left to right in conjunction with rudder.I have since moved that function to one of the dials on my 9C.
-My next project involves head and arm animation so as to have the pilot wave to the crowd. I haven't found an appropriate pilot figure since the chest cavity must be large enough to house two servos. With the advancement of micro servos, however, and as I write this post, several new ideas have come to light.
Pilot animations are cool and easy to do - hope this helps somebody looking for new ideas. They work well in Kits, ARFS, and scratch builts. Of course, the larger the servo, the more rotation.

Happy Memorial Day...........and if you're a Vet or in Uniform.............Thank You for Your Service past and current!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	zx71895.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	1615211   Click image for larger version

Name:	ay75520.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	1615212  
Old 05-27-2011, 07:06 AM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet

I see referrals to ARF's all the time as ''Kits.''

I read this in ''Build'' threads.

If an ARF is a kit, then what is a Kit?

Are ARF's built or assembled?
The way I see it, from a design and manufacturing background, is that the term "kit" simply means two or more separate parts stuffed in a bag or box. For example, when I used to specify replacement components they could be a single item which was a replacement part. If several parts were already assembled and sold as a single unit, like with a hydraulic pump, it was still a part and not a kit. But if the pump was also packaged with some hoses, fittings, thread lock, tape, etc. that was sold as a replacement kit. Mind you that nothing required building, just assembly.

When model aviation was young and ARF's didn't exist it was probably fine to just call a box full of balsa and ply a "kit" because thats all there was. There was nothing to confuse. But the times have changed and since the, what late 70's, we have had ARFs but the generic name for that box full of balsa and ply has never changed. You'd think someone would have come up with a cool acronym for a builders wood kit by now and made it stick. I think Ive heard scratch builders call kits ARB's - Almost Ready to Build.

The point is that an ARF is a kit. Marketing just had to come up the name to differentiate them from ARB kits.
I do think ARFs are Not built because all the major structures are already built. Fuse, wings, tail feathers, etc. One just has to assemble the parts to make an airplane.

Cheers.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:47 AM
Bigshark

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The SR Tele ARF floats like a feather even overpowered with a Tower .75 and a 24 oz tank. It even floats like a feather with about 8 inches clipped from each wing panel and a sheeted fuselage.

It's a Telemaster. It's a hard model to screw up even if you are a prepubescent, Chinese, political prisoner.....
Old 05-27-2011, 10:25 AM
MinnSpin

I see you're from St Lou - we're keeping your fine city and the great "show me" state in prayer.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Superspook

Charles, I recently bought a bud nosen trainer (102") have the plans but no building instructions. I'm not sure there were any but have seen references to them in this forum. anything you tell me would be appreciater. superspool
Old 05-27-2011, 12:49 PM
rcjake

ORIGINAL: rambler53

ORIGINAL: huck1199

I have had ARFs that are more challenging to assembly than kits.
Name it? Doesn't exist as far as I know. Than again there is junk out there I know better not to buy.
Neither are really challenging if you think about it.
I never felt more relaxed and received more enjoyment than building a kit. That goes above everything in fact, except for the maiden flight. That is the full reward right there. If you never try it, you will be missing out on a great moment in the hobby that I can't get the same satisfaction from any ARF I ever touched. The more you put into something the more you get out of it, is a common phrase that applies to this.

I fly outside AMA clubs with people who also hate AMA clubs, therefore we're all cool there, and smile every weekend we meet. Incident free for 12 years and counting. Quit your club if they're too political and self impressed. We did.

I hope that you thank the AMA for getting & keeping the frequencies that you use and fighting for your right to fly your planes while you are out with the other AMA haters.

Jake
Old 05-27-2011, 12:56 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Superspook,

I know that model, they are everywhere and when set up properly, they fly great!. The booklet should be no issue.

Try this link.

http://www.mvrcc.org/Classified.aspx?Id=266

It's a start!
Old 05-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Superspook

many thanx, I have family in Middletown and can stop by lebanon. superspook
Old 05-29-2011, 09:39 PM
RoyR

I am going to make a lot of people mad because I am going to post without reading every 257 posts twice before I comment. But I did read a bunch and I have come to this conclusion and I will stick by it till my dying day-

Yes, I agree with everyone here except for the people I don’t agree with.
In fact I have built ARFs, but I built kits before I built ARFs, and I even scratch built when I was a kid, but I have built a kit after I have built ARFs, and the plane I just finished today is an ARF, but the one before it was a kit, and you are all right, but a few of you could be wrong.

Does this qualify me to run for president?
Old 05-30-2011, 02:25 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am going to make a lot of people mad because I am going to post without reading every 257 posts twice before I comment. But I did read a bunch and I have come to this conclusion and I will stick by it till my dying day-

Yes, I agree with everyone here except for the people I don’t agree with.
In fact I have built ARFs, but I built kits before I built ARFs, and I even scratch built when I was a kid, but I have built a kit after I have built ARFs, and the plane I just finished today is an ARF, but the one before it was a kit, and you are all right, but a few of you could be wrong.

Does this qualify me to run for president?
I believe you're overqualified.

Besides, you took those words right out of my mouth.

Especially this line. "Yes, I agree with everyone here except for the people I don’t agree with."

You should do stand-up.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:23 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well if we go by car standards, yes, they are. A car that comes as a bunch of misc parts you then assemble is considered a kit, and that's precisely what an ARF is.

But since ARFs aren't cars, I say no.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Bigshark

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: CottcoRC

I see you're from St Lou - we're keeping your fine city and the great ''show me'' state in prayer.

Thanks for the good wishes. We've been bloody lucky on this side of the state. A bit of hail and a rather nasty tornado at Lambert Field which caused damage but no fatalities. Joplin, MO on theother side of the state is just a mess. Hard to fathom that kind of devestation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.