Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

ARF's are Kits?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

ARF's are Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 07:08 PM
jessiej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ARF's are Kits?

ORIGINAL: Bigshark

ORIGINAL: CottcoRC

I see you're from St Lou - we're keeping your fine city and the great ''show me'' state in prayer.

Thanks for the good wishes. We've been bloody lucky on this side of the state. A bit of hail and a rather nasty tornado at Lambert Field which caused damage but no fatalities. Joplin, MO on theother side of the state is just a mess. Hard to fathom that kind of devestation.

They are in my thoughts and prayers as well.

I spent a few years of my life in Tuscaloosa, AL which was similarly devastated. The news footage of these disasters does not begin to communicate the devastation.

For those able to help in any of these areas, money to worthy causes is, of course always good. (If possible check with someone on the scene to see which organizations are most effective) Other than the usual goods they need flashlights, batteries, work gloves, gasoline and chainsaws with capable operators.

Best of luck to all.

jess
Old 06-02-2011, 07:03 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

ARF's take alot of skill and time to build. With some of the early ones (2 years ago)you had to put in the hinges yourself! I won't buy one now that takes all that work like putting in hinges and mounting the canopy and cowl. No way.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:10 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

OMG.....install hinges!!!!!!!!! WWWWWHHHHHAAATTTTTT.... and a canopy?????? I hope you are being sarcastic

this thread has run it's course and needs to end

sp
Old 06-02-2011, 08:20 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
And must I fly it myself too...?
Old 06-02-2011, 05:41 PM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Steve Percifield

OMG.....install hinges!!!!!!!!! WWWWWHHHHHAAATTTTTT.... and a canopy?????? I hope you are being sarcastic

sp
Yeah. Just kidding. I've built kits and assembled ARFs and enjoyed both. I see know reason to bust anyones chops over how they choose to spend their time. I try to never make the mistake of thinking that I enhance my worth by denegrating anothers worth. It just makes one appear sad and bitter.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:48 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I once had an ARF that I had to mount the decals even!!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

ORIGINAL: Steve Percifield

sp
Yeah. Just kidding. I've built kits and assembled ARFs and enjoyed both. I see know reason to bust anyones chops over how they choose to spend their time. I try to never make the mistake of thinking that I enhance my worth by denegrating anothers worth. It just makes one appear sad and bitter.
Thanks, my attitude as well
steve
Old 06-02-2011, 07:47 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

THERE ALL KITS IN THE END IT JUST TAKES ONE BAD FLIGHT [X(][:@][]
Old 06-03-2011, 04:26 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: rye

THERE ALL KITS IN THE END IT JUST TAKES ONE BAD FLIGHT [X(][:@][]

Good one!

Hey I got a ARF that's now a kit! I won't name the company but one got through the quality control check point and it landed right on my work table. I had to strip the covering, repair, sand and fill spots on the frame. As the quality has gone down on some of these ARF aircraft, it takes a true builder to fix it and make it right. I remember the day when a ARF was a ARF and was more builder friendly.

But that's Ok, just because I too can build kits and build from scratch it doesn't make me better than anyone. Just when I think I know it all I have people like Minnflyer, CGR or Greybeard or LDM slapping me with new tricks and always telling me of a better way to do things. I have 10 years in this hobby and I don't know as much as I did when I had 2 years in this hobby. Something must be wrong with me!

When I show up at any event or club, I'm there to have a good time, talk planes and fly. I don't care what plane you bring as long as I have someone to fly with. I have yet to see anyone bash anyones plane because it wasn't a kit or scratch built. Only in RCU and RCG I see that kind of thing and it's just another form of Trolling. JMHO

Pete
Old 06-03-2011, 09:04 AM
rye

arf are good if you dont want to build i enjoy building thats my winter thing i usally build a big one a kit as for arfs i did two gaint rv-4's because i like the plane and theres no kit yet change the colors and beef it up where it need it ,thanks rye
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	nl30803.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	3.95 MB
ID:	1618484  
Old 06-03-2011, 09:07 AM
rye

here last winters build
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sp45136.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	4.53 MB
ID:	1618485  
Old 06-03-2011, 10:36 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: rye

arf are good if you dont want to build i enjoy building thats my winter thing i usally build a big one a kit as for arfs i did two gaint rv-4's because i like the plane and theres no kit yet change the colors and beef it up where it need it ,thanks rye
GreatPlanes make an RV-4 kit. Very good kit too!!!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAEY0&P=ML

Ken

Old 06-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

ORIGINAL: CottcoRC

What are the flight charateristics of that Sr Telemaster? What power plant? Does it float like a feather or drop like a rock?
I think the Telemaster flies like a rock and floats like a feather[&:]...IMHO.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love you ARF bashers and stick builders!

You are the same guys who build your automobiles from scratch, right? And your TV's, and your .......
Old 06-04-2011, 08:54 PM
RoyR

ORIGINAL: Kmot

You are the same guys who build your automobiles from scratch, right? And your TV's, and your .......
Some of us build ARFs AND Kits.

I personally haven't found a sensible reason to put down anyone's preference. My Gosh guys, it's a fun hobby. People should be able to enjoy all aspects of it. Or if you don't there is no reason to resort to name calling just because someone else has a different preference.

I don't do RC cars or boats, but I'm glad some people enjoy that sport. Some people fly airplanes and do cars and boats also, or fly helicopters and airplanes. There are opportunities for everyone to do what they like.

No One is better than someone else just because they have a certain interest. Everyone get off your High Horse here.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:55 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: Kmot

Not me. Just my model airplanes.

jess
Old 06-05-2011, 07:30 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just don't get why people argue over kits, arfs, plans or scratch building, etc. for it seems just silly. I build kits b/c that's where I get enjoyment and it's what I choose. Love opening a box and taking a whiff of all that wood . I have a small electric ARF but that's an anomoly and I'm looking into plans building beccause even kits now are the same old thing. I'm all for the ARF movement, it's lowered prices in many areas and allowed the hobby to grow in ways no one could imagine years ago.

What gets me is the ARF flyers trying to get me to convert, telling me it takes so long to build and to just buy and fly. When they crash they buy again rather than fix. Again nothing wrong with this in my eyes for at times they don't even get the basic hardware off the plane before 86-ing it but I will sure raid it! I guess I'm more frugal than that. But I grew up in a time of building. If you wanted to enter the hobby you built and it was a good thing I enjoyed that part of it.

It really doesn't matter what you call the process used to make what you bring out of your trunk. Everyone knows the difference between an ARF and a Kit for it's right there in front of your eyes. The point is to have fun, share ideas and meet interesting people. There aren't many places you will see a 15 yr old kid in an engaging conversation with a 70 yr old over something they have in common. It's something we could sure use more of on this big rock we live on.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

When the arf thing picked up speed about 12 or so years ago, I carried a chip on my shoulder for about a day or so over the 'supremacy' of the build it yourself mentality. I then realized that many of my friends that I enjoyed flying with were arf guys and they probably wouldn't be in it were it not for the prebuilt stuff. My two cents worth.