Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

If there was no ARF's, would you still be in the hobby?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, I would stay in the hobby.
89.63%
No, I would get out of the hobby.
10.37%
Voters: 482. You may not vote on this poll

If there was no ARF's, would you still be in the hobby?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: If there was no ARF's, would you still be in the hobby?

Actually I might not have dropped out if they didn't have ARF's.  But really it was that the kids are in college.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Aiden88
My Feedback: (5)

That's like your wife hiring another man to come over andfix your leaky faucet. If I can't build it (yet), I don't get to fly it. Gives me motivation to learn that way.

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

I do see the guys paying someone else to build there planes for them though.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:49 AM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

So long as I am able to build my airplanes, the arf only dudes can do whatever they want. Interestingly, I am finding more arf modifying than normal. I think there is a movement back to the originality kit/plans building offers. People are also finding a happy medium. I think the pendulum is starting to swing to a stable medium between the two.

So long as I can kit build and plans build to my own enjoyment, I'm happy for others having their way too. (but shove arfs down my throat and I will swing back hard!)

Brian
Old 05-27-2011, 12:13 PM
davidgeorge212

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: loser

I voted yes and saw the poll results but am reluctant to believe the numbers based upon what I see in my local clubs. 90% or more are esclusively ARF'ers and most/many of them do not have a CLUE how to do even simple repairs to a damaged plane. I have fixed some for guys and tried to explain to others how to make repairs. I really dont believe many guys younger than ~ age 25-30 or those who have only been in the hobby since ARF's have taken over would stick around if they had to build.

I'm not judging at all but i think its just a direct result of the younger generations growing up in a much different environment than I did (i'm 48). My buddies and I built plastic models, model rockets, control line, slot cars, etc, when we were kids....until a few of us eventually got into RC. I mean, how many young kids these days do any of that stuff on there own? They might do it in a scout program but doubt if it develops into a genuine interest.

It isn't hard to see when you visit almost any club field or event. The hobby is almost 100% about ARF's and flying these days. The actual builders/modelers are getting older and fewer....so sad. Again....not judging in any way....its just younger generations growing up in ''different times'' with different interests and ''skills''.

Im 22 and I absolutely love building. I started out in a wood shop when I was about 5 years old and couldnt stop sniffing saw dust ever since then. When I started into this hobby a while back I built all of my models from kits. Now I have moved to plan building due to the lack of kits available that I like. Lately I have been messing around with autocad and drawing up some of my own plans and I even built a little four star scaled way down. It does sort of amaze me that I might be one of the youngest flyers at my field and maybe one of very few that still exclusively "build" build. Even my own dad who started out 30 years ago in the hobby building planes has now gone to all arfs. My latest project I have been building is a Carl Goldberg Valkyrie. I dont think you could find one of those in an ARF. I guess maybe Im just an exception to the stereotypical "younger generation" [8D]
Old 05-27-2011, 01:21 PM
clpahodges
My Feedback: (3)

Most definitely!!! I love to build and the time I spend in my shop is the most relaxing time of my day. BTW, I have been building for 51 years.

Bill Hodges
Old 05-27-2011, 01:30 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

One off Home made, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10312214
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77921.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	1615351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20956.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	1615352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71822.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1615353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk21419.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1615354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj66208.jpg
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	1615355  
Old 05-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

I like to build, and the ARFs I do have are the ones that someone crashed and discarded. I like the challenge of restoring them and the look on the person's face when he sees them back in the air. The E-Stick 25 was actually from two trash barrel orphans. The Bird of Time was broken completely in half.

Name:	Tr49050.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	1615356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31082.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	1615357  
Old 05-27-2011, 02:17 PM
huck1199

I build kits and assemble ARFs. One of my favorite planes is the Nitroplanes Aquila AT70 ARF. It ia a fiberglass fuselage beauty with a Magnum .80 four stroke. I am currently building a Sig 1/3 Spacewalker. I love spending a few hours a day building; especially when the weather is bad. I have a dozen kits to be built but I will break down and buy an ARF once and a while, I am running out of room to houseall these planes.

Name:	qo39205.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	3.52 MB
ID:	1615361   Click image for larger version

Name:	wr54097.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	3.47 MB
ID:	1615362   Click image for larger version

Name:	uz68817.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	3.63 MB
ID:	1615363   Click image for larger version

Name:	oh13333.jpg
Size:	3.35 MB
ID:	1615364  
Old 05-27-2011, 03:11 PM
ocrcdude
My Feedback: (179)

I've built a lot of kits, and have put together a lot of ARF's. It's all good!! Just so long as they fly, that's what it's all about.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:23 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's an image of my first type of powered model. Yes, there were ARF's back then. I haven't used one since. I became addicted then and have not stopped building my own. Dan.

Name:	Fd93090.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1615387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96765.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1615388  
Old 05-27-2011, 04:25 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If there were no ARF's what would it be like at the flying field?
Old 05-27-2011, 04:54 PM
DeferredDefect

Would I stay in the hobby? Not a chance!
Old 05-27-2011, 05:57 PM
hairy46

I am a kit builder wanting to go scratch builder, for sure would stay in if they stopped ARF's! Matter of fact really would not effect me!
Old 05-27-2011, 06:40 PM
crash1ace

I like ARFs more. A few years ago, my first big kit was a 4*40. I started to work onit in early winter and it wasnt till the spring thay I finsished it. I wa so pissed that it took so damn long to build. Not for me! I dont have patience for this. These days I can barely stand the time it takes building an ARF. Now Id much rather look thru RCU and find a nice used plane to fly. And if I crash it, well unless its asmall fix needed then onto the next one.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: DAN REISS

Here's an image of my first type of powered model. Yes, there were ARF's back then. I haven't used one since. I became addicted then and have not stopped building my own. Dan.
What boy in the 50s didn't start with the FireBaby. Even in a small town the local hardware store carried all the parts. A wing was a dime, the stab was a nickle but the fuse was high dollar, a quarter. That was a lot of pop bottles. The fuse had the motor mount built on and it was drilled for a couple of the popular engines of the time. The fuel tank was a bubbles bladder that sat in the canopy. I think mine ended up being nothing but store bought parts four or five times. I was thrilled when one of the big guys crashed his Ring Master and gave me the rubble. It was back in the air a couple weeks later. Most of the guys at my local fields are all over 50, 60 to 80 seems to be the norm. A teenager is something we don't see much of. I'm the only one I know flying my own planes I have built, the other guys are ARF people these days and I can't say they are wrong at all. Getting out to the field and being with friends is the important thing, no one really cares what it is or what size, as long as your having fun. If it wasn't for ARFs most of these guys would drop out. I just enjoy the building as much as the flying but I do get building burn out. A couple more builds and I may join the crowd and just buy an ARF. It just isn't a big deal to me. My planes are stronger but they don't fly any better. I'll just have to get a shopping cart and start looking for those pop bottles and cans again. That alone could be another hobby!!
Old 05-27-2011, 06:47 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

I've been in the hobby since the early '70's. While I still enjoy building, some of my favorite and best-flying airplanes are ARF's. A point that is often missed is that if there were no ARF's, there wouldn't be nearly as many people coming into the hobby. The larger number of RC'ers due to the availability of ARF's makes for a much larger market and therefore lower prices than we would otherwise see. For that reason alone, I welcome ARF's. Don't like 'em? Don't buy 'em.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:01 PM
jessiej

To me model building is a hobby. Flying ARFs merely an activity. I enjoy many activities, but I have no interest in "ARFing". I do enjoy flying models I have built. In a similar vein I enjoy the activity of riding motorcycles. I consider restoration of vintage motorcycles OTOH, as a hobby.

jess
Old 05-27-2011, 08:01 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Yes......... i love this hobby too much to leave it. i would survive, as i have the skills to build from kit form, i just prefer ARFs TBH
Old 05-27-2011, 08:43 PM
hairy46

ORIGINAL: rcguy59

I've been in the hobby since the early '70's. While I still enjoy building, some of my favorite and best-flying airplanes are ARF's. A point that is often missed is that if there were no ARF's, there wouldn't be nearly as many people coming into the hobby. The larger number of RC'ers due to the availability of ARF's makes for a much larger market and therefore lower prices than we would otherwise see. For that reason alone, I welcome ARF's. Don't like 'em? Don't buy 'em.
I don't!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:47 PM
bouncebouncecrunch

I enjoy arf but I do wish there were more plank'n'plan lazer cut kits here in Aussie land. Researching the history of the type of plane you are building and discovering colour schemes and maybe the history of their pilots,inventers or squadrens adds to the enjoyment while teaching skills that enable good repairs (not that i crash, it was the reciever blackout or somethin) to your fleet
Old 05-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Darren40
My Feedback: (2)

I bought one ARF many years ago because it was a great deal in a hobby shop closing out sale. I later gave it away. I have no interest in flying something I didn't build, and assembling an ARF isn't 'building' in my books. I'm one of those who enjoy building at least as much as flying. ARF's certainly have their place in the hobby as the number of RC flyers would be few without them, so I have no problem with others flying ARF's. I'm just disappointed that the number of kits available to builders has declined so drastically in the past 10-15 years. Luckily I've collected enough to keep me going for many, many years. Almost all are scale and most are no longer available.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:00 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Yeah. I'd just buy a healthy used plane to get in instead of an ARF.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:40 AM
Steve Landron

Hell Yeah! That's what I started with!

Steve
[8D]
Old 05-28-2011, 07:08 AM
carrellh

Since the scenario in the poll will not happen, I'm not sure the answer matters.

I answered no, but I really do not know.

I know I wouldn't have gotten into the hobby if there were no ARFs.

I 'think' I could make a pretty good judgement call on a used model now but I would have been afraid to risk it eight to ten years ago.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:47 AM
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: carrellh

I 'think' I could make a pretty good judgement call on a used model now but I would have been afraid to risk it eight to ten years ago.

My logic on that one is that I don't want to put months of work into a plane only to re-kit it on the first flight. I'd rather buy one that's mostly pre-built, won't feel quite as bad if/when it goes in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.