Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

radio interferance!

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

radio interferance!

Old 05-23-2011, 04:29 AM
katman74
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio interferance!

Hi everyone,
Having a problem with my sig sundancer with DLE 50. Just started the problem of the elevators moving in different directions when engine is cranked.
works fine when off. Swithced to two different sets of hi-teck servos, New HD 24' leads. and still exist. On 2.4. Ignition is well foward and away from
everything. I did have one set of the new servos hooke right to the receiver and sitting an a small box under the plane and cranked it and know glitching.
Put them in the plane and it happens. This all started at once. Had many flights before with know problem. Any suggestions.
Thanks
Keith
Old 05-23-2011, 05:20 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: radio interferance!

A total Hail Mary
Are your pull pull cables crossed and rubbing bare metal?
Old 05-23-2011, 05:32 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Check the spark plug boot. Sometimes wear will loosen it or the wire enterring the boot. And try another receiver.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:49 AM
katman74

Thanks guys,
will check these items out and get back to you.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:19 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

My first suspicion would be a vibration problem with the reciever itself.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:30 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

The great and gloriuos 2.4 was supposed to eliminate reciever vibrations issues. But he might have a good idea. A cold or loose solder joint might exist. Try tapping on the receiver case and see the results. Also, wiggle the connections at the servo block and all connectors you might have in the system.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:17 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Like any other sensitive electronic component, they should be vibration isolated. I use double sided foam tape, velcro, or foam pads. Thats just common sense.

I agree though, sounds like a loose connection or something similar.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:31 PM
moe7404

all military locations that have radar / radio, can interfere with r/c. they can broadcast on ALL frequencies, and it WILL mess up your r/c.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Check all of your wires. It may be a bare wire or bad connection somewhere.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:30 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aside from what's been mentioned, it appears that it is vibration related. Check the throttle connection. If it's metal link connected to metal throttle arm that may be it.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:47 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

2.4 lessens the chance of the problem, it doesn't eliminate the problem, stuff can happen. Try another RX, it does sound like vibration. If another RX solves the problem send the problem RX back to the manufacture for replacement.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:25 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most probably a vibration problem although a slight possibility of ignition noise if a shield or ground connection has deteriorated. Check all your servo connections, especially if you have any extensions.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are any of your servos within 10" of the engine or ignition module? Choke ot throttle servos? That can pick up inductive interference.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:10 PM
invertmast

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

How are the elevator servo's connected? Separate channels on the receiver and then mixed together? Matchbox? Reversing Y harness? If its a reversing Y harness, I bet that is the problem.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:03 AM
katman74

Hi Everyone,
Appreciate all the feedback. Turned out to be the 2.4 receiver. It's over a year old
so I don't know if I should send it back to Futaba or not. Switched it to anothe and works
fine now.
Again thanks for the help.
Keith
Old 06-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Redback

Been watching this with interest as I have a similar problem with an as yet unflown ESM FW190. This is my second gas powered ESM 190 and is the same as its predecessor (dont ask!) except that the throttle servo on #2 is in the cowl. I did this to get rid of a clunky linkage on the first one. (I am also using 2.4GHz)

When I tested the plane at home all the servos started cycling togther, including the throttle servo. Suspecting inductive pick up from the ignition battery lead into the servo lead I rerouted the latter, and all seemed to be well. (The way that all the servos were going at the same time didn't really seem like rf interference).

After several weeks of **** weather I finally got to the field for a maiden flight, fired up the motor and the problem was back - all the servos flapping like crazy! So I'm back to square 1. Right now a new Rx seems like a good idea, I just bought a new 9 channel 2.4 so I can get rid of the matchbox on the flaps at the same time. Don't want to move the throttle servo unless I have too because I will need to replace the linkage.

If anyone has any more thoughts would be pleased to hear.

Terry
Old 06-01-2011, 07:09 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Have you replaced the DLE spark plug with an NGK CM6 plug? If not you may want to do so. The plugs are supposed to be a resistor type and I have heard bad things about the DLE plug. Unless your old RX had been involved in a crash do not think the the new RX has solved the problem. All electronic components have a stated value and come within a certain percentage of said value. The components used in our R/C equipment have a rather wide tollerance as dictated by cost. What this means is that some receivers can have these tollerances go the right direction or the wrong. A tech testing the unit in front of a scope will only see the RX meeting spec. IMO odds are the airplane still has an issue and with use the new RX will start showing signs of interference.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:39 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: the throttle servo on #2 is in the cowl. I did this to get rid of a clunky linkage on the first one. (I am also using 2.4GHz)

Don't want to move the throttle servo unless I have too because I will need to replace the linkage.
Unplug the throttle servo and pull the wire all the way up to the servo. Wrap it up so it cant get in the prop and fire the engine. If you do not have the servo problem anymore, you'll know what it is.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Redback

Scooter

good thought - I'll give it a try. My nightmare is that I fire it up again as it is and the problem has gone again[:@]

Terry
Old 06-02-2011, 03:32 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Are these the 7950 series servos? If so, there is plenty of documented problems with these servos on two other forums. does your surfaces look like this?

Bob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=sNAd8v4AHw4
Old 06-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Redback

Bob,

Servos are a mix of Hitec 645MGs and 425BBs, with a 225BB on the throttle. Surface movement is more of a regular cycling rather than that on the video. I'm sure this should be telling me something but I am not sure what. I need to find time to investigate carefully to make sure I nail the problem, especially as it seemed once that it had been fixed.

Will try Scooter's idea first, leaving the servo in place should hold the carb lever in place enough for a test run, if it speeds up too much I have the kill switch to stop the moter.

Terry
Old 06-03-2011, 06:10 PM
Redback

Set out to do more testing at home Saturday morning. Decided to fire the motor up in the same config as last time when I had the interference. Started up and no interference![:@]

Nothing different from last time, however I did take the wing off and deliberately route the aileron and flap leads as close to the ignition switch as possible. Still no interference! It's not related to location as I have had the problem at home before (and believed I had fixed it by rerouting wires).

Plan now is to change the receiver (will give me a chance to fit a 9 channel and use my new Tx) and to try and screen the throttle servo and lead.

Any other ideas welcome!

Terry