Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Need help on the right size brushless motor.

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Need help on the right size brushless motor.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:12 AM
clawhorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on the right size brushless motor.

Hey guys Ineed some help here. I am building my own rc electric plane from scratch. It is a foam plane that is designed after a Carl Goldberg Eagle 2. Same size and specs. It weighs about 2-3 lbs. I need a powerful Brushless motor that wont weigh the plane down but will give it plenty of power. I had a Air Field "I think" Cessna 182 foam plane at one time that had a powerful brushless motor and that plane was similar to the size and weight as the plane Ihave built now. I need a brushless motor, ESC, and Lipo set up. I would love to pick up some used parts too if anyone has something that will work. The Plane isa 55" wing span. Idont want to have to fly anything more than 10"prop. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2011, 09:23 AM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Need help on the right size brushless motor.

If you try the "electric plane" section of RCU, you will get more responses.

But for a suggestion, I would say a Scorpion 3020-1110 with a 10x5-E on 4 cells.

Link to the prop data below...

http://www.scorpionsystem.com/files/...data_chart.htm
Old 05-30-2011, 02:09 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Need help on the right size brushless motor.

ORIGINAL: clawhorn

Hey guys I need some help here. I am building my own rc electric plane from scratch. It is a foam plane that is designed after a Carl Goldberg Eagle 2. Same size and specs. It weighs about 2-3 lbs. I need a powerful Brushless motor that wont weigh the plane down but will give it plenty of power. I had a Air Field ''I think'' Cessna 182 foam plane at one time that had a powerful brushless motor and that plane was similar to the size and weight as the plane I have built now. I need a brushless motor, ESC, and Lipo set up. I would love to pick up some used parts too if anyone has something that will work. The Plane is a 55'' wing span. I dont want to have to fly anything more than 10'' prop. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

What you aare looking for is a motor that will put out 100 - 125 watts PER POUND OF FLYING WEIGHT. Weigh the plane, then add the weight of the motor, the battery and the esc.
You will now have a flying weight.

Hobbycity lists quite a few of their motors with the number of watts they put out.

100 - 125 watts per pound will provide ample power for normal flying and some MILD aerobatics (loops, rolls, hammerheads) for that type of plane.