Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

power hd ds-8312 any good?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

power hd ds-8312 any good?

Old 06-09-2011, 09:02 PM
rotccapt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power hd ds-8312 any good?

hi all i have a question for you. i bought a couple of these servos planning on using them for my elevators on my 100cc plane (one per half). i was curious if anyone has used this servo and what your opinion is of it? the specs are very nice, it is a coreless digital servo, metal gear, double ball bearing, 180oz-in at 6 volts and .10 sec/60 degrees at 6 volts.

my only thing is that i had one of the servos fail on the bench and i am trying to figure out if it was a fluke or not. i did solder a 3 foot extension to the servo before it failed but i do not feel that this is what caused the malfunction because A) the servo worked after the mod and B) when i power on the RX i hear the servo energize but i get nothing from it after words and the servo arm can be moved with power applied to the servo. also on a side note the other servo also received the same mod and is working perfectly.

so has anyone used this servo? and if so what are your opinions of it? as of right now i dont think i can trust the other servo since i have a 50% fail rate as i sit right now.

thanks for your time and help i will be sending the servo back to the company that i bought it from to have it analyzed
Old 06-10-2011, 04:58 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: power hd ds-8312 any good?

Stop and think for a moment. You are considering using a cheap servo from a company with, at best a fair track record, on the elevators of a 100cc Airplane. You have had a 50% failure rate with them so far.

I think you know the answer.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:20 AM
pdm52956

OK, to answer the original question.......no, I haven't used that particular HD servo. I have on the other hand used the 9150 servo.

I had a brand new 50cc Edge that I tried them in at the recommendation of the manufacturer of the plane. The guy is a respected dealer not a fly by night. So anyway, I found the 9150 centered badly from input to input and in fact on the 3rd flight, one of the elevator servos quit on me and I almost lost that plane. Needless to say, they are now sitting on my bench at home because no one will take them off my hands!

Don't get me wrong, all manufacturers have rotten apples regardless of what they make, but I had 5 of the 9150 servos and 1 took a dump. That's a 20% failure rate and you're looking at a 50% failure rate with the ones you have bought. That's just too high for my blood.

On the other hand, I've read of plenty of people out there that say they have had good success with the HD servos. Your mileage may vary.....................
Old 06-10-2011, 06:05 AM
rotccapt

yes that is why i started this thread to help me make up my mind. i hate dumping money into somting but i would rather take a hit on the servos than loose a plane. they just looked to good to be true i guess they were
Old 06-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Extending the leads isn't going to harm a servo. Most all of mine have been spliced for added length. I have only had one servo fail and it was on the bench getting tested, it was just bad out of the box. I only use the top three brands, Hitec, JR and Futaba. I have friends that also use a lot of Airtronics without any problems. I go to the Servo City web site and look for there sales and grab them up when I find the super deals. I will not risk all the time and money I put into building one of my planes on an off brand servo.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:22 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Servo city sales or Cheif Aircraft sells Hitec's in 4 packs for a good price.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:02 PM
pdm52956

ORIGINAL: rotccapt

yes that is why i started this thread to help me make up my mind. i hate dumping money into somting but i would rather take a hit on the servos than loose a plane. they just looked to good to be true i guess they were
Don't get me wrong, like I said there are others out there that have had great luck with them. Since you asked, I just felt compelled to tell "the other side of the story".

I pretty much have had great luck with Hitecs but on my most recent 50cc, an EF Extra, I'm flying some Spektrum A6030 servos on the elevators. I really like them so far but I've only put 12 flights on them. They center nicely, rated at 278 oz-in @ 6V, .15 sec/60*, titanium gears, digital and don't put too bad a pinch on my wallet. A little less torque than say a 7955 but again, I'm flying a 50cc.

I've got 5645s on the ailerons right now and may end up changing them to the A6030 too.

Just another choice to consider.