Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Lager size biplane

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Lager size biplane

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 07:49 AM
tesla67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lager size biplane

Iv gotten a 63-65 inch biplane and i am trying to figger out what i should put on it for a power system i dont know if a 26cc gasoline engine is to large (but i am guessing it is) or maybe stick with 2/4 stroke engine or spend bit of money and get an electric system. any thoughts on the subject would be nice will post some pictures of this plane i have no clue who built the model but it was a kit and it has no marking to say who the manufacturer is.

thanks,
tesla
Old 06-23-2011, 08:03 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Lager size biplane

A lot depends on the type and weight of the plane, post that too when you post your photos.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:03 AM
jetmech05

It's not so much wing span as it is weight....The Areoworks Pitts Python is a 70 inch span and a 50cc works well...I'm gussing that it weighs in at 17 lbs.......If you can but a 50 on yours....both under the cowl and prop clearence...then get a 50cc.....remember that throttle is not an on/off switch......good luck
Old 06-23-2011, 10:55 AM
tesla67

there i hope these help. i have no clue what model this is so if ya know it would help. it weights about 8 lbs with nothing in it (no tank servos wheels linkages etc). 64 inch wing spand (top wing)

tesla

ps any more info you need i can get hopfully.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:44 PM
Gray Beard

I can't tell from the photos but it looks like a Waco that doesn't have a cowl??? Anyway, it was set up with a glow engine at some point. At that weight a good .91 or 1.20 four stroke or something like a DLE 20 or 30 cc gas engine. A 30 may be a bit much for it though??
Old 06-24-2011, 02:49 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A Pica WACO will fly well on a .60 two stroke, or a .91 four stroke. The 72" Pica WACO flies well on 26cc, gas.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:41 AM
tesla67

so if i picked up a 20 cc im guessing that would still be a bit much for the waco. might just have to stick with a nitro engine haha.

tesla
Old 06-24-2011, 07:10 AM
Gray Beard

A 1.20 four stroke is a 20cc. With the short coupled nose section you may need the extra weight to get a CG without adding lead. Any full scale Bipe that used a rotary engine then got modeled for RC use is going to require added nose weight, sometimes a lot. Because you don't have an engine on hand you can install all your gear into the plane then set it up to get the CG and see in advance how much weight you will need, then pick an engine that would help you achieve that goal. I attached a photo of one of mine. The plane is scratch built, 68 inch span and it came out at just over 12 pounds with a 1.20 four stroke. It ended up requiring about 3 pounds of lead in the nose to CG and was never a good flying plane. At almost 16 pounds the 1.20 flew the plane but not very well. I have used gas engines in it to lighten it up and it was better but not great. I gave the plans to a friend and told him about the weight problems so he went with a 40cc CRRC gas engine. The lighter plane with the heavy engine is a much better plane all around. You may need some weight in the nose so a bigger engine may be the best way to get it. It's up to you to figure out what is needed. A .60 may fly it but it could require a ton of lead up front? Better to use a bigger engine instead of lead. Dead weight is just that.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58582.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	1627132  
Old 06-24-2011, 07:16 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

Isn't that a Sterling Stearman? Other than the angle of the N struts it looks like one. They fly on a .60, better with a .90, great with a 1.20 fs.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:30 AM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: smithcreek

Isn't that a Sterling Stearman? Other than the angle of the N struts it looks like one. They fly on a .60, better with a .90, great with a 1.20 fs.
The OP doesn't know, I thought it looked like a vamped up 17 but from what I could see of the rudder it made me think Waco?? I couldn't tell 100%, could be a Stearman??
Old 06-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

I thought Stearman also. And this plane doesn't look that large too me. The motor mount looks small as well and doesn't really look like there is room for a gasser. Remeber you need room for the ignition module and battery up there some where.

My advise, take it to your local club so some one can see it up close and then they will be able to make a better determination of power needs.

steve p
Old 06-24-2011, 02:37 PM
tesla67

the local hobby shop sucks. it is compeatly horrible. i can garrentee that it is 64 inches just measured it. the motor mount if for a nitro engine so it is going to be small. Might just have to stick wiht geting a .60 cheap and see if that is enough
\

tesla
Old 06-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Gray Beard

Motor mounts can be removed and bigger ones installed. Other then one problem that was repaired really fast I have been having good luch with the SK .91 two strokeengines too. Low RPM and high torque.
Now I'm going to ask the big question: How much RC flying have you done?? Doesn't sound like you understand much about the airplanes or there set up and this Bipe is NOT a learning tool!!
Old 06-24-2011, 07:36 PM
tesla67

Well haha i have been flying for 6 years now i love 3d but when it comes anything other than 2 strokers i become lost. So that is why i come on here to see if i can get help. I may be new compared to some of you guys but i help train new bes at our local club how to fly and has gotten couple of my friends into the hobby. (only 16 just an fyi haha)

tesla
Old 06-24-2011, 10:16 PM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is indeed a Stearman, and at 65" not a big model. Scale flying, something like the .60 two stroke it was originally designed around, a .90 FS would be perfect. If you have the experience, and don't mind cutting up the cowl, then a .90 TS or 1.20 FS will give exuberant flying.
Evan, WB #12.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:18 AM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: pimmnz

It is indeed a Stearman, and at 65'' not a big model. Scale flying, something like the .60 two stroke it was originally designed around, a .90 FS would be perfect. If you have the experience, and don't mind cutting up the cowl, then a .90 TS or 1.20 FS will give exuberant flying.
Evan, WB #12.
I wouldn't bother going gas on the plane either unless you just want to, then I would just go with the DLE 20. Because I have a couple of four stroke .91s and 1.20s I would probaby just use one of them. I do have one small gas engine, an RCS 1.40 22cc that would work but the engine is very high performance and requires some mods to the fire wall and it may be a bit much for the air frame. The DLE 20 is a light weight but I would still assemble the plane and see what is needed to get the CG, look up some engine specks and check out the weight of the different engines.