Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Greyhound shipped plane, LOST! , HELP!

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Greyhound shipped plane, LOST! , HELP!

Old 07-07-2011, 09:57 AM
tenacious101010
My Feedback: (97)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Greyhound shipped plane, LOST! , HELP!

LOL, I know, I have shipped maybe a dozen planes with them and never an issue at all, this is the first. I will continue to ship with them but,...
To distant destinations, they will only insure up to $300 so next time, it its over $300 value I will ship the wing separate from the fuselage and insure each package for the max of $300. If you are a buyer, dont be silly, get insurance on an item this big and expensive. I have no idea why a buyer would turn down insurance offered to them, its usually very cheap.
Denny
Old 07-07-2011, 09:59 AM
tenacious101010

I just made another call to Tampa Greyhound, Ron the guy there that mailed the package and sent the letter to corperate is pissed now. He is calling corperate, maybe he can expedite things.
Denny
Old 07-07-2011, 10:17 AM
futura127
My Feedback: (57)

I had something similar happen this this year. I bought a plane from a guy in TX and it took Greyhound 3 weeks to get it to me so don't give up yet. It was probably taken off a bus and it is sitting somewhere in those wire cages. They are not very good at keeping track of their shipments.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:50 AM
reo
My Feedback: (130)

Greyhound can be a pain to deal with. No tracking system with tracking numbers and a corporate attitude that just doesn't care. Even with insurance making a claim is a royal PITA.....good luck with your issue with them.

On another note, when I sell something online I gurantee that the pkg will arrive on the other end, if not I refund, but I do ask that the whole thing has a chance to run its' course before I refund the money.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:13 AM
warks62
My Feedback: (140)

This may of been said already I only skimmed the content. I have shipped many packages with them and never had a problem all of them basically at the max size. You said that the package is 86" long I didn't think they would ship anything over 82". When I have shipped a package they have always told me where the stops are and if it is going to change buses. See if you can get this list and give each station a call and see if it is there. Because of the size of the box it will stand out and notice it. I have only heard of a box getting lost once from them and that was do to the fact the bus was in an fatal accident and the PD messed that up. Keep us informed I use them regularly and still feel they are the best for large package NO DAMAGE but would like to see how the operation works. Note no other shipper is any better on these matters I have been run around with other shippers when a package is lost at work many times always taking well more than a month to get straightened out.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:22 AM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

Yeah the quality of people and service greyhound offers is less than, but equal to spam.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:54 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

The buyer should not have tied up your funds without trying to reach a resolution.

The least he should do is repay you for the insurance, as I'm sure GH will find it and get it on its way.

If he's not aware of this thread, you should send it to him.

[X(]
Old 07-07-2011, 11:55 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 212 Likes on 171 Posts

Eventually you will talk to someone at GH that cares, thats when you will get action.

As for the buyer, sounds like he should be taking a little initiative.

As for Paypal, I dont keep any money in there, I put purchases on a card so I get protection from them AND Visa (who can be very agressive in persuing money) and funds received are immediately transfered out. That said, I've never had an issue with them.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Mustang1971
My Feedback: (30)

Hey Denny-

We do not ship Greyhound any longer for this reason exactly. There tracking capabilities are not up to speed. We had one bad experience in which a kit took over a month to get to us. I am pretty confident that your package will get delivered at some point but who knows when. I have had buyers insist we use Greyhound to save themselves $$ and I have asked them send me an email releasing me from any responsibility once the item leaves my hands at which point they have always backed out.

Sorry for your luck but again, I am pretty confident that the plane did not vanish and will indeed show up at some point!

Sean Curry

PS - The BT got some good press at TG. Congrats!
Old 07-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Well, here are the facts as I have knowledge of them with Greyhound. 1- They have a length limit of 82 inches, this is due to the width of the storage space on their biggest bus. They stick to this religiously. 2. They don't go to Providence RI, They go to Newport which is the closest terminal to Providence. I know this first hand because I have shipped there twice! Both times the planes got there within 7 days and that was space "A". I don't doubt your issues but find it highly unlikely that they have lost a plane, they are the best and cheapest way to ship. Even "Wildhare RC" uses them for shipping their planes from "Flower Mound,TX". JM2C!

Happy Flying!

Loopman [:-]
Old 07-07-2011, 12:17 PM
jmpups
My Feedback: (1)

I have not had too much luck with Greyhound. I have had for sale several built airplanes with wingspans of 80" Each time I have recieved offers to purchase the plane ,there was always A request to ship it Greyhound, due to the lesser cost compared to UPS, or truck freight. Each time I have checked with the local Greyhound terminal, Winter Haven, Fla, I was told they do not accept any freight exceeding 76". Their reason, wether right or wrong is that their buses that travel into central Florida, can't handle anything larger. If this is true, your plane can be sitting at some terminal waiting for A larger bus. I have lost many sales because I can't and won't use Greyhound for these reasons. My feeling is I don't want to ship or recieve A $500.00 or more aircraft broken , damaged or lost. When potential buyers hear that the average cost to build a crate, and safely ship A built airplane via UPS or truck is $200.00-$250.00, they think your crazy and back out of the deal. Your plane might still show up somewhere, Good Luck, jmpups
Old 07-07-2011, 12:26 PM
tenacious101010

Thanks for the inputs guys. I have heard so many different maximum length for boxes quoted. The Tampa Greyhound did accept the 86inch box. I had called them in advance and they confirmed this would be the largest they would ship. I believe they said the newer busses were bigger and could carry the larger packages. This could be part of the issue as far as how long it takes to get a package to the destination.
Thanks Sean, we had a great time at Top Gun. Next year we will have the plane done and Sean will have time to fly it before the event, I look forward to it, I hope we are invited back again.

Denny
Old 07-07-2011, 01:41 PM
dejudy
My Feedback: (4)

I have received two planes via Greyhound, no problem. The only one I shipped never arrived. I had fax my claim to Greyhound three times and call them weekly before they finally paid the insured amount. That was two years ago, and I have heard nothing about the plane.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:45 PM
do335a

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

It just so happens that with any shipper you sometimes run into delays and actual losses. Other times, there is damage which equates to a loss. I've experienced all of those occurances, either as the shipper, the receiver or both.

A cowl sent to England never arrived. A plane shipped from Lanier went all around the USA and Canada and arrived totally destroyed. An engine shipped to Australia took almost 6 months to get there. A magazine from the USA took about 2 months to get to me.

When an insurance claim had to be made, it was always necessary that both I and the other party submitted info, whether I was the seller or the purchaser. There were never any payouts made until the shipper and insurance companies finished their investigations. While they do take time, it would not be reasonable for anyone to expect you to refund anything until the matter is settled. That is not your responsibility. You are not the insurer.

If you really want to get to the heart of it, you owe this guy nothing since he declined insurance. End of story.

Personally, I insure all shipments as a matter of course, even if it's on my tab. I have needed it several times. Since the claim amounts were minor, in my estimation, I simply refunded the purchase immediately and took the claim proceeds. When I was the purchaser and it was not minor, I just had to wait until the insurer coughed up. That's how it works.

As for PayPal, their policies are very punitive for vendors. People have been aware of this for years. Not only is the money which this guy sent frozen as soon as he complains, everything in your PayPal account is locked down. So the rule is, as soon as something shows up, you take it out. Only once that has been accomplished, do you ship the goods. If there is any dispute, you then are in control. You decide what is to be refunded, if anything and when, if ever. In this case you can see how that would be preferable to what you've got.

One last point. You would be entirly justified in letting us know who this unreasnable person is so that none of use has any dealings with him. Personally, I would steer clear of anyone like that.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Clavin01
My Feedback: (193)

I Feel for you. The Last Plane I recieved from greyhound was Damaged, Not their fault, Shipper packed it poorly , But the problem
nowdays is the Buyers. I sold a boat rtr with the buyers Rx and Radio, sent the boat when it arrived it was damaged Minor but damaged
He Stripped everything off of and out of the boat. Packed the Hull up and filed a claim with the shipping Co. They returned the Package
to me and I had to file a Claim with the buyer as the reciever of funds, Filed the paperwork and he got his refund plus all of the running gear
which is what he wanted. He played the system and came out ahead. Sounds like this is what the Guy is doing. He wants a refund after he gets
his Money Back then he will go pick-up the package. = 1 Free airplane and you will be out the money and Plane. Contact GH and see if you can
Retrieve the Package and have it returned to you. After you drop off the package they Print out the route sheet where it goes from terminal
to terminal all the way to destination. Try to get a copy of that. When I have recieved packages from GH it was in a Clear Sealed Slip
When I opened it, It had the exact route from shipper to me printed it was 4 or 5 sheets long. Hope this works out for you.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:50 PM
sledge_78
My Feedback: (24)

Tenacious,

I purchased a model from a fellow in Maryland and it was to come to AArizona. Well after a week passed the expected delivery date I started to get nervous and contacted Greyhound. They too were unable to locate the model due to their system not tracking the package for some reason. I contacted the seller and he worked the problem from his end also. I believed the seller actually sent the plane but Gryhound still had it somewhere between Phoenix and Maryland. Two weeks after the due date it arrived at the Phoenix terminal and I received a call. The Gryhound folks were very gracious and helpful. They even helped me unpak the model and get it into the car. I found out later that since the package was large they often have to wait for a buss with room to take it at various tranfer point along the route. I would say it may still arrive at the buyers destination/ these boxes are too large to lose easily, so it will turn up. Good luck.

Sledge_78
Old 07-07-2011, 05:23 PM
SkidMan
My Feedback: (17)

Tenacious, I'm glad that you're trying to work with Greyhound and the buyer. It clearly demonstrates a good faith effort.

I don't know the answer to this for sure, but technically, if the buyer designated Greyhound as the carrier of their choice and paid for the cost to ship it, the contents might be considered FOB your Greyhound station. In other words, you may have met your obligations to the buyer once Greyhound received the package. However, if you sold the buyer a package deal including shipping to their Greyhound station it might be considered FOB their station.

FOB is supposed to be a term from the old sailing ship days for designating when a shipment is Free On Board. If it was FOB at the shipping port it would become the buyer's responsibility once the shipment was received at a specified location (like a warehouse) or has crossed the rail on to the ship.

You sound like a good seller. I hope it works out for everyone!

Paul
Old 07-07-2011, 06:05 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Sounds like you need a bloodhound instead of a greyhound. All joking aside, shipping a built plane is always a chance we take weather buyer or seller.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:17 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Start looking into truck freight companies. A google search will show a dozen of them in just about every city (or close-by) and with some research, you can find ones that will go to where you need. I have shipped 40% Aerobat models in 1/4" walled ply-wood crates with the only the stab and wings removes (airplane sitting on its gear w/ a prop installed) for under $200 w/ it insured for its actual amount. And the best part of it all, unless their is some un-foreseen circumstance, it typically arrives with 1-2 days of the expected delivery date, and since all they do is freight, you dont have to worry about it getting "left at the station".

Grey-hound works great for things that are on the least expensive side ($300 or less) but if it costs more than $300 and a shipping crate needs to be built for it, I sent it truck freight. less hassle's and they are always a pleasure to deal with.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:47 PM
Dblex
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greyhound has a tendecy to take a LONG time with oversized packages. I have shipped over 20 airplanes via greyhound and have never had a problem. Oversized packages get stuck at terminals when it transfers buses. Oversize packages can only fit on certain buses. if the larger bay bus doesnt make the route, it will sit until the right size bus comes by. Whenever that may be. And if it didnt get on a bus, its sitting safely in a terminal somewhere.

Did you put all your contact information on all sides of the package? I usually print an 8x11 sheet in big font with all my info and tape to all sides. Works for me

Good luck with your hunt have faith...
Old 07-08-2011, 04:51 AM
tenacious101010

No response from the buyer or Greyhound. I tried calling the Tampa Greyhound again this morning, noone answering yet, I will keep trying them and corporate today. Even though the buyer has not responded to any of the last three emails, I sent him another this morning giving him the latest in updates. Heres a copy of the email to the buyer:

Hello Buyer,
Did you check with your local Greyhound in case its there and they didn't notify you it was there? Each time I called the local Tampa Greyhound terminal ( 813-229-8588) I was told to call them back in one more week. I had asked for the corporate number each time, but was told that I should contact the local Greyhound, that I couldn't call corporate. Yesterday morning, I finally called Tampa Greyhound and demanded the corporate phone number and it was given to me finally. I called it. I was on the phone yesterday with the local Greyhound several times and with Greyhound corporate twice when I could get someone to answer. I gave corporate the same information from the forms that I scanned and sent to you. The first time a guy named Brent answered (1-800-739-5020) and he promised to get this to the correct person to have them get back to me. After waiting 4 hours or so with no response from them, I called back ( 214-849-8620) and was able to speak to Sonya Steele ( [email protected]) she searched and found no record of the GLI 3062210833 being assigned to anyone as being lost. She stated she would get this information to the correct person and have it acted upon and they would get back with me. I got her email address and emailed her the scan of the shipping ticket and the express tracer form. never heard anything from them. I then called back to the Tampa Greyhound and when the guy there heard what I had dealt with, he was not happy and took the names and numbers of the people I had spoken to and emailed. He never got back with me. I will call them back again today and do what I can. I dont know if you're getting my emails or ignoring them, either way as I have from the beginning of this transaction, I have done everything I know to do. Please let me know what you have found out on your end. I would like to resolve this as soon as possible. I have done all I can, yet now through no fault of mine, my Paypal funds have been frozen. I have been in contact with Paypal to resolve this and provided them with the original transaction agreement from RCUniverse, the shipping ticket and the form that I submitted for greyhound to track down the package. I am not sure just what you expect from me, please let me know what else I can do and any action you have taken to help resolve this issue.
Thanks, Denny

Greyhound PackageXpress
350 N. St. Paul
Dallas, TX 75201

General Customer Service Inquiries: 1-800-739-5020 1-800-739-5020
Billing Inquiries: Refer to your GPX invoice
Passenger Baggage Inquiries: 214-849-6246 214-849-6246
Express Claims Department: 214-849-8620 214-849-8620
Fax: 214-849-6006
Old 07-08-2011, 05:25 AM
tenacious101010

I checked the Paypal website and checked on the status of this issue. He already had in his posession the copy of the shipping reciept and the tracking form I filled out to find the package, this doesnt show honorable intent on his part. He could have stated: the seller says he sent the package out and sent me a copy of the shipping ticket and the tracking sheet he completed to locate the missing package.
His exact words to them are: Buyer: The model was shipped via Greyhound in late May according to the Seller.
I think its obvious what the buyers attitude towards this is, legal, I suppose its time for me to be in that mode too. The buyer hasnt responded to any of my emails.
Denny
Old 07-08-2011, 05:30 AM
at101

Call him on a pay phone or a friend's phone so the caller ID does not show up as you.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:35 AM
tenacious101010

Why would I do that? If he doesnt want to answer, he doesnt have to, thas OK. There is no paper trail in phone calls, there is in emails. Like I said, game on. I am doing all I can to help him and to locate the plane, and doing it in a way to have a paper trail of my extensive efforts. I will send Paypal copies of my documented efforts and the emails to him and let them know the lack of responses in resolving the issue. I am pretty sure, they will see this for what it is.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:28 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I would call him on the phone. He may be having issues with his email, or limited/no internet service. Their are allot of other reasons that could be the reason for his lack of communication all of a sudden. A phone call could clear up ALLOT of this mess.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.