Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Magnum XL 91

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 06:36 AM
LDMorrow
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum XL 91

why does fuel drips out of my Magnum XL 91 carb when running?
Old 07-22-2011, 09:20 AM
TEBerg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Magnum XL 91

My Magnum 91 is not a very "clean" running engine either There always seems to be plenty of oil/fuel inside the cowl after a couple of flights.

How is your engine running? New or broken in? What prop and RPM are you getting? How is the throttle response (slow to reach full power or crisp)?

I run an APC 14X6 on my magnum and get around 10,000 RPM peak and back it down to 9,4 or 9,500 for flying. Good throttle response with just a bit of extra exhaust/smoke going from idle to full throttle.

I do see a little bit of spray out of the carb, but not really big drops of fuel.

And, if it is running well with good power - you may just neet to plan a few extra minutes for cleaning
Old 07-23-2011, 06:18 AM
LDMorrow

Hi Tom
Thanks for your reply.
I've just about tried every thing to stop it from leaking fuel, So I guess I will just have to live with it. I also run a 14/6 prop and the engine sounds great, it pull my Lancair through the air like it was on fire, but I always have a big mess to clean up after I'm done.
Larry
Old 07-26-2011, 06:22 PM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

I have 2 Magnum 91's.  The first 1 is on the shelf now due to a crash (aileron problem).  I do not ever remember it leaking fuel and I flew it for around 2 years.  The 1 I am flying now has been running just this season and it has flooded  the carb while sitting on the bench.  I will have to turn the prop over many times to clear the carb b4 starting.  But then it just runs like a top, just like my first Magnum did.  We have been wondering at the club field whats up with the carb flooding.  No one has any answers yet.  The "problem" has only come up twice so I am not convinced yet that I have an actual problem. 
Old 07-27-2011, 01:53 PM
LDMorrow

I just spoke to Global Services who overhauled my engine last year and here is there responce.

Global Services
I would remove the needle valve assembly and inspect the individual parts, as well as the spray bar in the carb throat. It may have some residue or debris in the needle valve seat, a bent or worn tip, or a bad O-ring.