Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Sport, 3-D, Fun Flyer, Park Flyer

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Sport, 3-D, Fun Flyer, Park Flyer

Old 08-17-2003, 06:49 PM
AbuAnas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport, 3-D, Fun Flyer, Park Flyer

Hi

As a newbie in this hoppy I am seeing alot of terminlogies over here .. I am coping good so far but still I am confused of the planes and each type charachterstics..

I know what trainers are, and how they look and why they should look this way since I am flying one

And I know that scales planes called coz the are scaled-down versions of their sisters planes ..

And Jets coz they are simply flying using jet engings ..

But I still don't know what are the others (i.e. Sport. 3-D, Fun .. etc) and what are their distinguished charachterstics ??

AbuAnas
Old 08-18-2003, 02:02 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some jets fly with ducted fan power too. (Glow engine capable of very high RPM, coupled with a fan in a duct.)

Sport is almost any plane that looks like a real plane, but there never really was a full size version. (Kaos, Super Sportster, Ultra Sport, to name a few.) However, sometimes a model of a "real" plane can be called a "sport" plane. It's a bit confusing, but if you fly a Cub or an Extra as an every day plane, and don't fly it in a "scale" like manner, it can be considered a "sport" plane. Sometimes planes modelled after full size planes are called "sport scale" because they aren't very accurate.

Sorry if I confused the issue.

3D is a plane that can fly "beyond" a stall. In other words, it is extremely overpowered so that it will hang on the prop, pointing straight up, and will climb straight up if given more throttle (called "hovering"). They also have very extreme control throws so they are capable of doing manuevers that would kill a pilot.

3D planes usually, but not always, are modelled after full size aerobatic planes; Extras, Caps, etc.

Fun Fly planes are somewhat similar to 3D planes, except they usually don't have quite the same power, and usually look nothing like a real plane. They have extremely wide wing chords, and very large control surfaces, and are meant to do rolls and loops very, very quickly. (Some funfly planes can roll 3 times per second, and can loop within their own length.)

The difference between fun Fly and 3D seems to be getting smaller.

Pattern planes usually have a very long tail moment. (ie. the length of the fuse between the wing and the tail is much longer than usual.) Pattern is a type of extremely precise aerobatics, that has to be flown very smoothly.
Dennis-
Old 08-18-2003, 04:57 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, there's a new breed of 3D planes that are sort of a 3D Funflyer.

Such as the Laser 3D. Diablotin (typo?), Razzle, and so on.

The Laser has a pretty long tail moment for its class of airplane and mine flies nearly as smooth as my Kaos. The main difference is the rolls aren't quite axial.