Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Norvel .074 Problems

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Norvel .074 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 06:50 AM
ocelot31454

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Norvel .074 Problems

I don't know if this is the proper forum for this question. Some time back I was given an older Norvell engine .074. I recently got around to trying to start it, but when I spin the prop it acts like it has no compression. I did notice that when I primed the carburetor by squirting fuel into it, that when the prop was spun rapidly with a starter, fuel bubbles out around the globe plug. I remove the plug retainer and plug and found one washer underneath the glow plug.

The base of the glow plug just barely sits on the inside edge of the washer. The washer does sits snugly in the Boer of the cylinder head. I found and IPB of a .061 online. The diagram shows three washers under the glow plug or being used with the glow plug, I'm not sure by looking at the picture. The glow plug itself does not fit tightly into the retainer and I also noticed that the bottom of the retainer where the lip of the glow plug seats is chamfered, but the lip of the glow plug is square cut.

When I receive this engine it was my understanding that it did run. So,(I hate to assume anything) I assume that I am missing something. I have not been modeling for several years and have never seen a glow plug configuration of this type, having dealt primarily with Cox and McCoy engines on controlling models. Is this a normal plug set up? Am I missing washers or do I have the incorrect washer under the glow plug? Or is there something else that I am actually missing?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
ocelot []