Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

I got real lucky

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

I got real lucky

Old 08-02-2011, 08:03 AM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got real lucky

This post is a reminder to always do a good preflight....
Thrid flight of the day on my 50CC Python. Start up and control throw checks were normal...taxi out ok....take off roll required the same as always rudder input to track straight.
Take off took a little more than normal elevator input...Hmmmm....climb out was ok...but now at cruise I need some up trim...Hmmm....into a loop and I need a tad bit more elevator than normal to exit...Ok....inverted took more elevator than normal...something just aint right...set up to land now this is my second time around the pattern...was basically normal...flair was ok nice touch down...taxi in and my right elevator is drooping.....
The screw that holds the servo arm to the servo was still in the arm but had loosened up enough to allow the arm not to be on the spline of the servo....
My servo for the elevator is under the horizontal stab...so It was kinda easy to miss....but I didn't look either....had a stern talking with myself..and I'll be more careful....
Always do a good preflight
Old 08-02-2011, 08:11 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: I got real lucky

Good fortune. Do you have only one elevator servo on a 50CC model? Are you saying the engine vib's caused the arm to walk nearly off the splines? How would you preflight that issue? I'm not criticizing, just learning as much as possible to be safe too. Thanks
Old 08-02-2011, 02:17 PM
airbusdrvr

ORIGINAL: GarySS

Good fortune. Do you have only one elevator servo on a 50CC model? Are you saying the engine vib's caused the arm to walk nearly off the splines? How would you preflight that issue? I'm not criticizing, just learning as much as possible to be safe too. Thanks
As I read his description, the right elevator servo control arm was loose and only the left elevator/servo were properly contolling the plane.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:57 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Thread locker on all metal to metal connections,,, you got lucky this time,,

Something else I started doing is tossing the OEM Philips head servo horn screws for these http://www.servocity.com/html/socket...ews__meta.html

You can really crank them down

Good luck
Old 08-03-2011, 07:57 AM
jetmech05

I have dual elevator servos both of them sit under the horizontal stab..so it's kinda easy to miss.....but like I said I didn't look either...I would have had to see more tham normal servo spline to see the arm loose...but then again had good control checks after start and taxi out as I walk behind my airplane with full up elevator on high rates......
Old 08-03-2011, 10:19 PM
trab1925

For some reason I am finding it hard to believe that checking servo arm connections should be on everyone's pre-flight checklist. I could see this being something that could be easily overlooked no matter how much experience you have. I don't know about you guys but I don't inspect each servo before every flight other than going by sound/malfunction. It is interesting though that the screw managed to work itself out from the time you did the control surface check to getting it in the air while still managing to keep itself in the servo arm after landing. Is it possible you just didn't notice that it wasn't working correctly when you did your surface control check?
Old 08-04-2011, 02:51 AM
jetmech05

Nah I don't think so as I said I walk behind the aircraft while taxing out with the elevators full up on high rate...I would have seen at that time only one elevator working
Old 08-04-2011, 01:25 PM
airbusdrvr

ORIGINAL: trab1925

For some reason I am finding it hard to believe that checking servo arm connections should be on everyone's pre-flight checklist. I could see this being something that could be easily overlooked no matter how much experience you have. I don't know about you guys but I don't inspect each servo before every flight other than going by sound/malfunction. It is interesting though that the screw managed to work itself out from the time you did the control surface check to getting it in the air while still managing to keep itself in the servo arm after landing. Is it possible you just didn't notice that it wasn't working correctly when you did your surface control check?
It may not be every flight, but I visually check my servo control arm screws each time I assemble a plane. It is very rare, but I have had a couple back out and my preflight caught them. I have several planes that have aileron servos that are recessed(hidden) in the wing. On these I grasp the servo control arm and see if there is any wiggle or looseness.