Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Foamys ? What is a good model to start out with?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Foamys ? What is a good model to start out with?

Old 08-03-2011, 08:43 AM
gregoryshock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foamys ? What is a good model to start out with?

I feel awful that I don't know much about foamy's.

I've been looking for a model or models that I could fly in an Elementary School's gym. Ihave 15 years of flight experience with normal 40 size to 60 size models. Eagle 2, Super Chipmunk, Stinger 60, Hog Bipe, U Can Do 3D, And the Zlin 526. My problem is, Iwant a plane that flies kinda slow, and yet is aerobatic enough to practice maneuvers over the winter..

I was at the Hobby shop, and explained to manager, what I'm looking for. He felt that Icould handle Ultra Micro F4U Corsair RTF by ParkZone. So Ibought it. However with no experience, Ihave no idea what the plane will feel like. Today I went outside and crashed it. (too windy Iguess) It only seemed to have torn the one wing. Iused foam safe thin CA to glue that back together. After viewing some videos on youtube, I'm not convinced this is the right model for what I need to do.

I was looking at models like:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LW4750&P=E

But I don't know enough about electric motors, and radio setups for these small birds.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:27 PM
GREG DOE

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Foamys ? What is a good model to start out with?

Greg, Let's start off by talking all "ultra-micro" airplanes. The Ember and the Vapor are probably
the slowest, and not very aerobatic. You are probably past these, but they are still fun to fly.
Next is the Champ, and the Cub. Both are a little faster, and still rudder-elevator airplanes so
they too are not very aerobatic. I think the Corsair might not have been the best choice. From the war bird choices, I like the T-28. All the war birds are faster, and not particularly
3D performers. If 3D is what you want, think about the 4-Site, or the Beast. We fly all of these
indoor in the winter, and at dusk, when it's almost dead calm in the summer.

Next is the larger profile foamy's. Most of them are designed for 3D type flying, so if that is
what you are looking for, go for it. Many are sold as bind-and-fly, or receiver-ready. Kits are
also available, and if they don't include motors, and speed controls, they will make suitable
recommendations. What you are looking at from Tower is good equipment, but ParkZone and
E-Flight also have some nice profile 3D airplanes in that size. Good luck, Greg
Old 08-03-2011, 04:49 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPmeh043MTM
Old 08-03-2011, 07:41 PM
jester_s1

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I think a 4 Site is exactly what you're looking for. It doesn't have enough power to really do 3D (contrary to the marketing hype) but it is a nice little precision aerobat and can hold a knife edge at a slow jogging pace. It is strictly an indoor flier though. I flew mine outside and the smallest wind movement would toss it.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:25 PM
trab1925

Yeah those aren't great planes for aerobatics. They will do loops and rolls but nothing like a nice Katana or similar aerobatic plane.

I suggest you try to find a Katana. They will fly as slow as you want and can do most all the aerobatics a U Can Do 3D will do.