Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Hangar9 Piper J-3 Cub engine mount too small...

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hangar9 Piper J-3 Cub engine mount too small...

Old 08-10-2011, 08:02 PM
trab1925

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar9 Piper J-3 Cub engine mount too small...

Since I am at a higher elevation I need a larger engine for the Hangar 9 Piper J-3 Cub (.40 size). I need to use a .61 size engine and it's too large for the provided metal mount... Does anyone know of any engine mounts with the same hole configuration for a larger size engine??

Thanks.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:13 PM
cutaway

Default RE: Hangar9 Piper J-3 Cub engine mount too small...

What prop were you using on it? The .40 may in actuality be OK if proped differently (i.e. bigger diameter and a little less pitch than sea level). Using a little more nitromethane than at sea level will typically boost the max torque some for most engines.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:26 PM
trab1925

I haven't actually tried using a .40 size engine because I tried that in different .40 size plane the other week and it didn't do real well so I'm not going to take the chance with this brand new ARF.

It's possible a .52 would work and fit in the mount but that's not what I have so I have to make this work.

Tomorrow I'm going to take a masonry grinder to the engine mount to try to widen the inside a little bit to fit the engine. If that doesn't work I really don't know what I'm going to do. I emailed Horizon Hobbies but who knows how long that will take for them to get back to me.

I'm hoping they have a different size mount with the same hole configuration that will work.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:19 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are so many mounts on the market you have tons of choices. Look at hanger 9 metal mounts or just use a Tower fiber adjustable. The Cub has lots of clearance for a bigger engine and prop. I just used an OS .91 in a GP Cub, used a H-( mount but had to grind it a little to clear the fire wall.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:17 AM
trab1925

The problem was that it's an ARF and the blind nuts are already in place for this specific mount. I understand I can use any mount I just wanted to refrain from having to take the firewall off and re do the blind nuts, you know?

Anyways thanks for your response. I used a masonry grinder and got it to fit nicely. However one of the nuts they included for the engine mounting brackets was the wrong size which kind of pissed me off. I know it's a really small, cheap thing, but now I'm going to go stir up a **** storm for fun to give me a refund for it cause it pisses me off I have to go to the hardware store and buy one now.[>:]
Old 08-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Gray Beard

It's the little things in life!!
Old 08-11-2011, 06:12 PM
trab1925

Yeah I ended up calling them and they told me they could only send me one so I said thanks and hung up and went and bought one. I'm a *****.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: trab1925

Yeah I ended up calling them and they told me they could only send me one so I said thanks and hung up and went and bought one. I'm a *****.
H-9 is usually pretty good about taking care of even the little things. Maybe they thought this was a too little of a thing? As a builder I have boxes of screws and bolts, boxes of mounts and pretty much everything needed to put a plane together. When problems like this come up with my ARF friends they usually end up here. I have taken them shopping with me to hobby shops and hardware stores and made sure they started stock piling items for there own shop. It saves a lot of running around when little problems come up and they always will.