Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

new plane ideas?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

new plane ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:28 AM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new plane ideas?

I was a little silly and spent a nice tip on buying a Webra 91, now I need some type of plane to put it in. I am looking for either a kit or plans, I am not a great builder, but confident that I can build just about anything. I am thinking either a biplane or a sport or pattern type plane. I am mostly a sport type of pilot. I am on a tighter budget, so most arf's are out of the question. A few planes that I am thinking about, but looking for any other ideas.

Balsa USA Phaeton 90 http://shop.balsausa.com/product_p/450.htm

Plans for a Bucker Jungmeister http://www.airagestore.com/bucker-jungmeister.html or the 1/4 scale one????

Some type of Extra? I really don't have much info on Extra's as far as a good plan for one.

or some other type of pattern plane.

Thanks for any ideas.

Jon
Old 09-06-2011, 07:30 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: new plane ideas?

How about the GP Super Skybolt?
Old 09-06-2011, 07:38 AM
Minnreefer

I would love that, but right now, it is out of my budget, unless I can find a good deal on one (which may happen). If I am going to spend that money, I would rather spend a little more and get some type of Top Flight war bird.

Thanks Mike
Old 09-06-2011, 07:46 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Balsa USA Phaeton 90. Mine can be flown with wheels or floats. With wheels it's a wonderful flying plane that does nice relaxed aerobatics, on floats you couldn't ask for an easier plane to fly. Take offs and landings are incredibly easy and look great. A 90 two stroke will fly it well. Mine weighs almost 16 lbs with floats and an old Enya 1.20 four stroke (not a powerful engine) pulls it around fine.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12885.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	1658926  
Old 09-06-2011, 07:51 AM
Minnreefer

I am leaning towards the Phaeton, your looks very pretty. I am craving building something right now (not that I have time to build)
Old 09-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If money is that tight then building a kit may also be out of the question. Look at the price of the kit then try to figure in the cost of building it. Just the covering can start running into money.
For a plans build you have to figure in the cost of the plans, wood and supplies like controls, canopy, LG, covering, on and on and on. I build from plans but have most everything I require on hand. Whenever I go into a hobby shop I at least buy a few supplies and put them into my building box for the future build so I have no big cash outlays.
For plans go look at the Model Airplane News plans section. They have lowered the prices of there plans this year. If you go into the kit building forum you will find a few of the guys are going to start building the Cobra from plans, MAN plans.
Because of how I do things my building doesn't cost much but I do everything over time, a little hear and there. The engine you bought is too small for the Cobra but you may get some ideas about what you will need to build from plans.
The plane I'm finishing up right now is an 80 inch Sukhoi and it's costing me right about $200.00 from start to finish but I had the canopy and LG on hand plus everything required to build it. It's also from MAN plans.
Look at the Nitroplanes.com ARFs, they are about as cheap as you can go.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:13 AM
Minnreefer

Thanks Gene, I have a lot of little things laying around, and building from a kit or from plans I can spread some of the cost out over a little while. Do you personally know of any good plans for an Extra or Sukhoi or Yak or are any of the birdi planes big enough?

Thanks
Old 09-06-2011, 09:05 AM
TFF

A Jungmiester is one of the best flying planes you can have. 1/4 scale from MAN(Gary Allen) or RCM(Dave Platt) are great planes designed for .91s but now most would put something bigger in them now.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Minnreefer

Thanks Gene, I have a lot of little things laying around, and building from a kit or from plans I can spread some of the cost out over a little while. Do you personally know of any good plans for an Extra or Sukhoi or Yak or are any of the birdi planes big enough?

Thanks
Just so many choices in the MAN plans I couldn't be of any help unless I knew a bit more about the type of plane you were really after. A lot of them I haven't built or seen so I tend to go by the designer. Plans # FSP05901 is a Jungmister that your engine would do well in. it's a 53 inch plane and calls for a 60 two stroke. Floyd Manly's design. CAP 21 68 inch by Jack Stafford FSP11832 and his Chipmunk 59 inch FSP06671. How about a Ryan ST #FSP11991, 66 inch span by Henry Haffke, this is one I have always wanted to build but just haven't gotten around to it. Kits are running out fast but if you go into the MAN plans you have so many choices in the size you are looking for it boggles the mind. The Sukhoi 29 I just built is one I feel is too big for your engine and Joe Demarco who inked the plans may have been drinking that day?? Nothing fits correctly so it's not one I would tell anyone to build unless they have built from plans a bunch. Great flying plane but not the easiest one I have ever built.
Go through the plans and see what you like. For parts or supplies just ask and I can probably steer you to a good place to get them. Wood, I have nothing but good things to say about the wood I bought from National Balsa!! Good luck picking Mike.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Minnreefer

Thanks, I had that Jungmister in my shopping cart this morning, as well as the Ryan, I also threw in an albatross (I would love to build, but that will have to wait )) ) I think I will get those 2 plans since they are on sale and think about the Phaeton. I have a few other projects that I need to finish up anyways.

Jon
Old 09-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Another for Phaeton 90. Mine was a favorite plane for a long time. If you put ailerons on both wings you have great slow speed aerobatics. There is an old thread about modifications to make it perfect.
Edwin
Old 09-06-2011, 06:12 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The Phaeton 90 is a fantastic flying airplane, you cant go wrong with that choice.

Bob
Old 09-06-2011, 06:29 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: Edwin

Another for Phaeton 90. Mine was a favorite plane for a long time. If you put ailerons on both wings you have great slow speed aerobatics. There is an old thread about modifications to make it perfect.
Edwin

I agree, put ailerons in both wings. Great model. If you can read, you can build a Balsa USA model. Besides, if memory serves me well, the kit was much cheaper than purchasing the wood, and bending the wires, etc. go with the kit, it will save you a lot of time.

Gerry
Old 09-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Edwin

Definately a great value. I set my wing up with minus 1.5 to 2 deg incedence on the top wing and it turned into a real nice lazy flying plane that would land at a near walk. You could get really slow and still maintain control. Stalls were straight forward, sort of a mush forward. I would also suggest about 1.5 deg plus incedence on the stab.
Edwin
Old 09-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Minnreefer

Thanks guys, I have read a couple of the threads about building a Phaeton or at least the changes to it. I know for sure that I would do the ailerons in both the top and bottom.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:17 AM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One word, Flybaby!
Old 09-07-2011, 04:10 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: mike31

One word, Flybaby!

Pheaton 90 $150.00, Fly Baby (great plane, big compared to the Phaeton 90, neegs G38 or more), $350.00...

If you are interested (or like models that look like real airplanes), Balsa USA has a lot to offer, but for the money, nothing beats the Phaeton. Mine had a fiberglass cowling that allowed you to mount the engine with the cylinder sideways and be cowled in. I had a Webra 1.20 on it. Way overpowered (if such thing exists)...

Gerry

Old 09-07-2011, 04:18 AM
Edwin

A guy was known to put a 70cc in his. I have a hard time accepting that but with a enough mods and ingenuity, I suppose it could be done. I ran a saito 120 in mine.
Edwin