Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Noisy Pitts Muffler

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Noisy Pitts Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Mad Mad Max

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy Pitts Muffler

Is there anyway to reduce the loudness of a Pitts style muffler (or is it just redundant, Pitts = noise)?

I have a 90 size 2-cycle on a Goldberg Chipmunk with a Pitts muffler and it is just too loud. I could mount the engine in the conventional, upright, way and use the stock muffler, but it would take away from the plane's appearance. I could go with a 4-cycle engine but would prefer to stay with the 2-cycle engine.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:54 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Noisy Pitts Muffler

You might try putting a short piece of silicon tube on each pipe. I think you can get some at home depot or maybe your local hardware store . It might take some of the bark out of the sound. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 09-14-2011, 08:36 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If it is a dual outlet type pitts you can also close off one of the outlets, Many have an excessive outlet area which can cause insufficient muffler pressure and fuel delivery anyway.

John
Old 09-15-2011, 04:41 AM
Hewey19

I wondered if filling the muffler with steel wool would help any.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:23 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It might, but would probably kill your horsepower. I would expect the steel wool to clog up eventually too with burned castor oil.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:50 AM
jetmech05

You sure it's muffler noise and not prop noise.....go one sized bigger diameter prop and see if that quiets you down
Old 09-15-2011, 01:08 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not all Pitts mufflers are created equal. Some are small volume without baffles and are little more then a header with straight pipes. Some are large volume with baffles and actually work as a muffler. Bisson and Slimline make good, baffled Pitts mufflers.

Dave
Old 09-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: dbacque

Not all Pitts mufflers are created equal. Some are small volume without baffles and are little more then a header with straight pipes. Some are large volume with baffles and actually work as a muffler. Bisson and Slimline make good, baffled Pitts mufflers.

Dave
Both you and jet beat me to it. Props of the same size and pitch but different brands can make a big difference in noise.The Bisson muffler is very quiet. I have a couple off brand Pitts that will wake the dead, not a baffle in them at all, just a box with two pipes. People with Pitts that are having fuel tank pressure problems have also just used JB Weld to close off one of the pipes to correct that problem.