Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Airtronics Transmitter

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Airtronics Transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 10:34 AM
pipermedic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airtronics Transmitter

I have an old Airtronics transmitter radio system that is out dated. From what I understand, I need to update the frequency. The 2 numbers on the transmitter are 54 and the crystal is 72.870. This transmitter is from the early 90's and I only used it once to run the engine. I am looking to get my plane up and flying. My biggest question is would it make more sense to buy a new sysytem or are there crystals I can get to update this. Thank you in advance.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:54 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Airtronics Transmitter

http://rcsource.hobbypeople.net/faqs/freqlist.htm

That is the correct freq for chan 54. I see no reason you could not use the transmitter if you have a compatible receiver. Someone else can chime in with what brands are compatible with 1990s Airtronics transmitters. I know Hitec and Futaba were compatible with each other. Do you have a receiver? If so, what is it? 72 mhz receivers are reasonably cheap now as more flyers transition to 2.4ghz.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:56 AM
huck1199

If it is a wide band 72mhz you will have to have it converted to narrow band.  You will be best served by buying a new 2.4 ghz system.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:30 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have an Airtronics receiver ( or can get one ) you should be able to use what you have. If I remember right any thing sold after about 1987 was narrow band. As far as it being a little old, it's still a good radio and if you don't want to spend money on a new system why waste it. I still fly all the old systems, but then most of my planes are older and not real expensive. I would suggest that you do a real good check of the batteries and maybe just replace them.
I hate seeing people buy the new stuff if they don't really need to, and it sounds like it will be used in a trainer which will give you time to really check out what you need. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 09-21-2011, 12:35 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It is almost certainly a Vanguard and which is it an FM or AM? If it is FM it will say so on the front plate in large letters. The actual cutoff date for wideband units was in 1991. If it is an am unit its very likely wideband.

What that means is if its wideband it is illegal to use. To attempt to narrowband the unit is impractical and far beyond the value of the radio. Which is not much more than ten bucks if it is a legal narrowband.

Matching receivers that may be wideband were never practical for narrowbanding.

So if it is a narrow band unit and you have the matching receiver, That receiver has the 'Old style Airtronics plugs. These all had non compatble plugs mechanically and reversed polarity of all modern servos.

As a new flyer it is a big mistake to not start out with modern electronic equipment and cobbling together old obsolete electronic is always a mistake. New system are cheap far more capable and in the long run far less expensive in terms of frustrations and yes even money in the long run.

Always start out with the most capable modern equipment you can afford and this includes starting now with 2.4 equipment also.

John
Old 09-21-2011, 12:49 PM
stevenmax50

You can get 6 channel 2.4 Airtronics (a good radio) for only around 150 bucks.  I agree that making the older stuff fit newer servos or recievers can be a real PITA.  Have you looked at the online or LHS for a new radio?  I think it was Hobby People where I bought my Airtronics 8 ch 2.4 radio.  That was only 200 bucks.   
Old 09-22-2011, 06:08 AM
pipermedic

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions.  I do have the matched receiver and it is AM.  That being said, I think I will be looking to replace the set with new.  I know that once I get this plane patched up and in the air I will be building and flying more.  It will be much better in the long run.
Thank you again.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:43 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Good decision, and will be cheaper in the long run in saved planes. I have the Airtronics RDS8000 radio, and can definitely recommend it for beginners. It's easy to learn the programming and it has enough channels for the vast majority of planes out there.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:56 PM
stevenmax50

I agree about the RDS8000.  I have 3 planes on mine and it is very easy to set things like the dual rate.  Or servo reverse.  It is very reliable and has IMHO, all the features a beginner could ask for.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:50 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can not go wrong with an RDS8000, I have two of them.

In respect to the radios, you have gone from the dark ages to Buck Rogers. the RDS8000 does so much more then the old Vanguards.

Buzz.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:19 AM
rogue0349

But do you HAVEto use Airtronic servos or will other brands fit onto the Airtronics receivers?
Old 09-24-2011, 08:32 AM
rogue0349

Will any servo fit into the airtronics receiver?
Old 09-24-2011, 10:15 AM
JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: rogue0349

Will any servo fit into the airtronics receiver?

Rogue the answer to that can only be answered by iit depends on The age of the Reciever' Modern compatable servo plugs will not work in the the old style Airtronics receiver. If it is a later Receiver using what they call the 'Z' then yes any of the modern servos will work.

In the case of the Futaba 'J' plug that single flange will need to be cut off with a knife.

The old style Airtronics plug (including the Receiver and switch harness recepticals) use reversed power polarity from all others and this is why you cannot use a modern servo including Airtronic 'Z' plugs in the old receivers.

The plugs can be modified and the wires cut and reversed also some not all old style plugs can be reversed by a using a release pin. There are also adapters that can be purchased for a price.

I have done hundreds of plug changes on old the airtronic servos however the Receiver cannot be changed. I normally suggest to folks when don,t know, avoid plug changes since it is so very easy to let the smoke out of the receiver in an instant, when you get it wrong.

John
Old 09-24-2011, 10:16 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If you're asking about the RDS8000, you can use any servo. The connectors have been standardized for a long time. With a little rewiring of the connectors old servos can be used, assuming the motors and pots are still good.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:01 PM
rogue0349

thanks all for that info...I'm thinking about getting the 8 channel 2.4 g tx and a few rx'sto replace a few RTF set ups.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:10 AM
JohnBuckner

The problem posting pictures seems to have been corrected this morning. Any way Rogue all the Airtronics current stuff including all the 2.4 uses their compatable 'Z' servo/switch harness plugs.

Just for the record in case any others may want to know what the old style non compatable Airtronics plugs looked like here are some pictures. Note the red positive lead goes to the #3 three pin and not the center pin like all modern servo plugs. I think Airtronics changed from this plug to the modern 'Z' about 1996.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63685.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1666239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg98388.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	1666240  
Old 09-27-2011, 03:11 PM
stevenmax50

I wanted to buy a 5 channel radio to use for a buddy box.  After emailing Airtronics directly I found out that the RDS series transmitters are not compatible to any of the other radios Airtronics currently have in production.  They told me my best bet was to find a used radio on ebay to mate with my RDS8000.  And the 5 ch radio is only 99 bucks.  Too bad it will not work for a buddy box with my radio.