Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Power Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Rob590

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Power Problems

Yes, parallel pack is superb thing and I use it along additional battery for retracts. Using separate retracts battery eliminates the retract failure (stalled servo) which could lead to flat rx battery (even in parallel). When something like this happens and retract battery goes flat you still have enough control to land your plane safely.  
Old 10-18-2011, 12:56 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: carrellh

I would not run a separate power supply for the retracts. You can do it (post 23) without hacking up your electrical system or voiding warranties, but, using the ''parallel pack'' info from http://www.hangtimes.com/parallel_packs.html (copied from post 19) should be all you need.
This was a very informative bit of information. It'll come in very handy. Thanks!

It does raise a couple of questions though:

1) Someone in an earlier post in this thread stated that you must use two packs of equal voltage and equal amperage. The article clearly states that the packs must have the same number of cells (voltage) but that the amperage may differ. I can see why you'd want to have identical capacity (mah) packs just to avoid confusion when charging and cycling but I just wanted to point out the discrepancy.

2) The article only talks about NICD chemistry. I presume that this system also can be used with NIMH batteries. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

3) Assuming it will work with NIMH batts, what about having one battery be NIMH and one NICD? I don't think I'd ever do this, but just want to bring it up.

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2011, 01:58 PM
gregoryshock

I finally read the article about Parallel packs.  Everything js3 pointed out is true!  And I hope someone has an answer for him.  But I have another question.  The article states "Whether you are using 4 or 5 cells is your option, remembering that a 5 cell pack will provide more power to the servos but at the same time discharge faster giving you less flight time. "  Why does a 5 cell discharge faster?
Old 10-23-2011, 05:28 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are drawing enough current to need two batteries, do not use a Y to parallel them even if you use two switches. Most Y's have to small a gage wire to adequately handle a high surge current without causing a serious negative voltage spike (momentary drop out or low voltage ) at the receiver. Post #23 above is the preferred way to do it but use two switches instead of one double pole switch for maximum reliability.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:14 PM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the old 'V=IR' thing Greg, if you increase the voltage of the supply, and the resistance of the circuit remains the same, then the current flow (Amps) will also increase. So, if you are using the same size (capacity) pack, but a 5 cell (6V) version, then you will use it slightly quicker.
Evan, WB #12.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:26 AM
gregoryshock

Can you use a nicd charger with nimh battery pack? If not, what charger do I need? Also I don't need anything fancy. The way I fly I only need charge the battery over night, and I'm fine!

Old 10-24-2011, 07:50 AM
jetmech05

You can use a nicad charger to charge nickle metal...or ...is it the other way around...I never can remember that one...so I've got a couple of turnigy chargers...I can select lead acid, nicad, nickle metal, or li-ion and life packs...fancy? kind of, expensive? no...but you need a 12V power supply to power it...takes care of all your needs for a long time to come
Old 10-24-2011, 08:26 AM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: gregoryshock

Can you use a nicd charger with nimh battery pack? If not, what charger do I need? Also I don't need anything fancy. The way I fly I only need charge the battery over night, and I'm fine!

I use all of my chargers on both NICD and NIMH batteries. No problems there.