Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How much gap to accomodate covering?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How much gap to accomodate covering?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 08:59 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much gap to accomodate covering?

When you're building a hatch where film covering the fuse is going to wrap over the fuse opening for the hatch as well the film that covers the hatch that wraps around the ends, how much of a gap do you leave on each end during construction? Will 1/64" work?Maybe 1/32" or 1/16"?

TIA,

Em - would a piece of wax paper be enough?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68481.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	1672061  
Old 10-10-2011, 01:54 AM
yel914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How much gap to accomodate covering?

Seamus-Now it's pretty early and maybe I'm a little fuzzy about what you're after here, but when I do a hatch with film covering, I wrap the film inside the hatch area by about 1/4". If you're asking about the gap around the hatch(the reveal line), I shoot for about 1/64". If you plan on using hinges on the hatch, the reveal line will need to accomodate the particular hinges to allow opening. Hope that helps. I'm off to bed
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20863.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	1672088  
Old 10-10-2011, 03:45 AM
Oberst
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: yel914

Seamus-Now it's pretty early and maybe I'm a little fuzzy about what you're after here, but when I do a hatch with film covering, I wrap the film inside the hatch area by about 1/4''. If you're asking about the gap around the hatch(the reveal line), I shoot for about 1/64''. If you plan on using hinges on the hatch, the reveal line will need to accomodate the particular hinges to allow opening. Hope that helps. I'm off to bed

I second that.

Pete
Old 10-10-2011, 07:45 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use thick cardboard (like from a cereal box) as a spacer between what will be the mating surfaces; this usually give just enough clearance to accommodate the thickness of the covering material.