Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Switch setup?????

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Switch setup?????

Old 10-15-2011, 03:13 PM
djmp69

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Switch setup?????

Putting together an arf, setting the bird up gas. Now Iknow that most arfs are not made perfect, and most times you're going to end up modifying them anyway to be built correctly or suit your needs. However, I noticed that the slots built in for the RX and ignition switches are on the same side of the fuse, about 17" away OC. Including two manuf websites and manuals, ignition and rx switches should "always be mounted on opposite sides of the fuselage". Now it's easy enough to just build a slot on the other side of the fuse and move on, but as I like learning, I don't just want the answer, I'd like to know why they're supposed to be mounted opposite sides each other. Almost every gasser I've seen have the ignit and rx switches on the same side, and most fly with no problems. The few problems I've seen are due usually to improper tuning, wrong fuel tubing, dirty carbs, etc. Also, I'd like to know if the manuf of this plane screwed up, or if there is a method in the madness to why they put the switches on the same side.

Anyone got anything on this?
Old 10-15-2011, 05:25 PM
andizzle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Switch setup?????

most people put them on oppisite sides for safety, so if your working on your servos, or tinkering with the engine and u spin the prop the ignition isnt actidentlly on and your spending the rest of the evening in the ER. atleast thats what i have picked up lol
Old 10-15-2011, 05:49 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

put them where they are convenient for you... very very normal to have them on the same side....

mine are the RX switches (2) are one on each side.....
and the Ignition is towards the front on whichever side I choose.... so obviously there is one RX and the ignition switch on the same side...

even it using one RX switch... there is no reason that the RX switch and the Ignition switch can't be on the same side.....
Old 10-16-2011, 07:20 AM
djmp69

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to know!  The only other thing is that I noticed that the built in slot for the ignition switch is only 9 inches away from the throttle servo, and if I build one in on the other side, it's even closer, about 6.5 inches away.  On the opposite side, to get the switch at least 12 inches away, I'd have to put the switch in the cowling.  Weird.  The specs of the arf say it can be ep, glow or gas, so I'm wondering if there's something that they or I missed?
Old 10-16-2011, 07:58 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

The only rule concerning switch location is possibly with glow powered models. The switches should e opposite the side with the exhaust so they don't get repeatedly slimed.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:17 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

The only rule concerning switch location is possibly with glow powered models. The switches should e opposite the side with the exhaust so they don't get repeatedly slimed.
This is the reason for switch loction. Over time with a glow engine if the exhaust gets into the switch it can short it out. Gas is no problem, it doesn't slime the plane or switch. The rule of thumb is to keep the ignition switch and battery as far away form your on board electronics as you can because of RF. It's a good rule but nothing is etched in stone. With 2.4 it isn't as bad as RF once was. It can still hit your plane but you just have to try it to see. That's what all the ground checks with engine running are about.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:37 PM
jetmech05

I have been flying a 50CC gasser with the system switch mounted right next to the ignition switch for about 3 years now.....It's not the issue with 2.4 as it was with 72...but then again this airplane starrted out 72......
Since then I've mounted my switches opposite of each other and with dual battery switches apart from each other....
I also mount my switches so that forward is on...this goes against the conventional wisdom...that if something were to hit the switch it would turn the switch off.....but I am a full scale Avionics/Mech guy so everything to the windshield is on..so that only makes sense to me to have forward on....besides if you have something big enough and close enough to turn off a switch then you have other major issues.....so I doubt at that moment switch position is an issue.....
My point here is there isn't a hard fast rule....I know what works for me...and I wouldn't mount a switch in the glow engine exhaust either...good luck
Old 10-17-2011, 09:01 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

I have been flying a 50CC gasser with the system switch mounted right next to the ignition switch for about 3 years now.....It's not the issue with 2.4 as it was with 72...but then again this airplane starrted out 72......
Since then I've mounted my switches opposite of each other and with dual battery switches apart from each other....
I also mount my switches so that forward is on...this goes against the conventional wisdom...that if something were to hit the switch it would turn the switch off.....but I am a full scale Avionics/Mech guy so everything to the windshield is on..so that only makes sense to me to have forward on....besides if you have something big enough and close enough to turn off a switch then you have other major issues.....so I doubt at that moment switch position is an issue.....
My point here is there isn't a hard fast rule....I know what works for me...and I wouldn't mount a switch in the glow engine exhaust either...good luck
I have always had my switches set so forward is on. A quick slap to the rear by a holder has just always made sense to me. I have gotten away with a lot of things that everyone would tell you won't work. Then on another plane if I try the same set up it doesn't work. Go figure?? It's a mater of just setting up the plane and trying things to see what is going to happen. The 2.4 is much more forgiving but it's not 100% fool proof. The old rule of thumb is a very old rule but I still try to set up my planes as close to it as I can. Most of the time anyway. Jet points out how the old rule doesn't always bite you in the butt.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:19 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

If we followed all the so called recomendations by some, the switches would be in the wing tips and the battery mounted to a box on the bottom of the plane.

The switches a few inches from your throttle servo won't hurt anything.