Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Air cooling flow help

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Air cooling flow help

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 08:09 PM
hyflyer9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air cooling flow help

Hello
I am scratch building a DC3 C47 and it is going to be electric powered with twin Turnigy SK3548-1100kv motors with twin 80amp speed controllers and one Turnigy 4 cell 20-30c 5000mah lipo .
the problem is I have to mount the battery in the nose of the plane and it needs cooling air .
Question is if I cut out all the windows in the cock pit and sides and use black screen for the windows would the air flow threw the plane effect the planes performance in flight .
thank you.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:52 AM
jetmech05

Default RE: Air cooling flow help

I doubt it...the drag from blocked out windows.....wouldn't be any different than windows cut out
Old 10-21-2011, 05:13 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just from a purely visual point of veiw that would seem to be a really ugly way to do it. Doing a cheat with Duvateen screen would just be so obvious and look awful since the cockpit area is one of the areas of that airplane that the eyes are first draw to when looking at it.

Would seem much better to do an underside chin NASA type inlet. My preferrance would to also compartmentalize the battery airflow so the airflow is isolated from the rest of the airplane interior. Providing the Nasa inlet and an appropriate outlet a little further aft underneath.

John
Old 10-21-2011, 11:46 AM
hyflyer9

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Just from a purely visual point of veiw that would seem to be a really ugly way to do it. Doing a cheat with Duvateen screen would just be so obvious and look awful since the cockpit area is one of the areas of that airplane that the eyes are first draw to when looking at it.

Would seem much better to do an underside chin NASA type inlet. My preferrance would to also compartmentalize the battery airflow so the airflow is isolated from the rest of the airplane interior. Providing the Nasa inlet and an appropriate outlet a little further aft underneath.

John
yes I was thinking of that as well but i am not sure it will effective enough for cooling the battery .There is a cabin floor that runs the whole length of the fuse and my battery will be on the top of that cabin floor up in the nose but there is some empty space on both sides of the floor for the air to flow up and around . The battery will be in a box so that it will not move during flight and the box has about 200 holes drilled into it for cooling this way i can just open the hatch and slide the battery out for charging. I am not sure if this will work good enough for you all to see but i will upload a photo of the plans for you to look at. it is a very simple plane to build the cabin floor glues to the inside bottom half of the bulkheads and then two side panels glue to the outside and then the rest gets planked and that's mainly it .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86707.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	1677207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11439.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	1677208  
Old 10-21-2011, 12:53 PM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replacing the windows with a screen won't help any airflow, even leaving the windows out completely will not influence any airflow. It will look slightly better than the screen idea, but to get air to flow, you need to think much more about the OUTLET, not the inlet. Your battery needs to be in the direct flow, so some sort of duct will need to built, to encourage the air to actually flow around the pack. As you expect the the air to cool the pack, then the air will be warmed, so the outlet of the duct must be bigger, at least 2x the inlet, so that the warm air will not prevent the cool air entering the duct. Perhaps mounting the pack in the cabin is not such a good idea, a removeable 'pan' under the wing centre section containing the battery and the cooling duct with entry and exit might be both easier, less obtrusive, and more accessable. Just FWIW.
Evan, WB #12.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:02 PM
hyflyer9

ORIGINAL: pimmnz

Replacing the windows with a screen won't help any airflow, even leaving the windows out completely will not influence any airflow. It will look slightly better than the screen idea, but to get air to flow, you need to think much more about the OUTLET, not the inlet. Your battery needs to be in the direct flow, so some sort of duct will need to built, to encourage the air to actually flow around the pack. As you expect the the air to cool the pack, then the air will be warmed, so the outlet of the duct must be bigger, at least 2x the inlet, so that the warm air will not prevent the cool air entering the duct. Perhaps mounting the pack in the cabin is not such a good idea, a removeable 'pan' under the wing centre section containing the battery and the cooling duct with entry and exit might be both easier, less obtrusive, and more accessable. Just FWIW.
Evan, WB #12.
For the Balance the battery needs to be in the nose . Also i have no idea about how to go about building a removable pan in the nose or other .