Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Rookie (former flyer) need the experts help to get back into flying

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Rookie (former flyer) need the experts help to get back into flying

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 02:48 AM
Lonewolf9757
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rookie (former flyer) need the experts help to get back into flying

Hello,

I just bought a set of plans off ebay for the Fouriner RF-4 with a 74" wing.

Plan #557 from...

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/000...ml?command=env

I have been out of aircraft for about 10 years now and would like to ease back into it. This plane is basicly a low wing glider with an engine. I think this plane may be a good slow flyer to learn on again. I have a fue question on the plane.

1. What engine would you suggest ? I was thinking a .15 or .20

2. If i go to kinkos and make it say 100", .20 or .25 ?

3. I'd like to change the landing gear from the belly wheel and wing tip wheels to a standard 3 point tail dragger. Ideas ?recomindation ?

4. I have a Hitec Focus III, 3 channel, single stick radio. can the third channel on the back be used for the throttle ?

Any helpful suggestions/ tips/ comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim
[email protected]
Old 08-24-2003, 11:10 PM
Azcat59

I made one of these many moons ago, and can't remember if it was from a kit (think it was) or from plans. I don't believe it was quite that large, and I had an Enya .09 RC in it. Was kinda cute and pretty docile....let my college daughter and her roommate fly it and both girls had a ball with it. I do remember that in spite of substantial differential in the ailerons (more up than down throw) it still had a lot of adverse yaw in the turns. Modern radios could add some rudder mixing anc cure this.

Good luck with it if you build it.

Clair
Old 08-25-2003, 01:07 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome back Tim,

Can't really give you much help with the glider, but I think you're on the mark with your engine estimates.

The Focus III's third channel (on the back) IS the throttle channel.

Best of luck with the project.
Dennis-
Old 08-26-2003, 04:56 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Those plans are the old Astro flight plans who kitted the airplane for awhile and was intended for the Astro flight 10 motor. I also built one around 74 and it flew well but slowly with the Astro 10. If you really want to change it how about instead of conventional gear instead making the single main retract as per full scale particularly in a scaled up version from the astro flight. By the way no RF-4D of the 16 that reached this country ever had wingtip wheels. They all had balance wheels mounted just six feet out under the wings mounted on hoops and the wing could not droop more than about one foot which made for easy taxi around airports and could improve the model for the same reason. The main gear retracted forward literally between the pilots legs. I believe there are around eight of those 16 that were imported in 1966 left now and I still own Sportavia Putzer Fournier RF-4D N7725 They are magnificient little airplanes.

John
Old 08-26-2003, 06:26 AM
Lonewolf9757
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks for the help guys. Hey John, i'd love to see some pics of you plane if you have any. Detail shots would be great.

Thanks
Tim
Old 08-26-2003, 01:58 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Tim yes I have hundreds but what I don,t have is the smarts to be able to post them. I will try to get my daughter to do some in a few days here on this thread, if you like.

Bob Bankas Scale Model Research has a documentation package on my airplane listed in Powered Sailplanes and by tail number N7725. I did not even know this existed until a few years ago when ordering documentation for a warbird racer project. It must have been done at one the the hundreds of fly-in's or a few of the airshows I was performing my little aerobatic act at in the seventies or eighty's.

John