Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Tower Hobbies

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 12:14 PM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower Hobbies

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this question so here goes. I have not purchased anything from Tower Hobbies for long time and today I wanted to purchase an OS FF-320 engine for my new project and when I attempted to order it I was told a signature would be require before the shipper could deliver the package. I explained that due to my work situation and their is no one available to sign for the item that I needed the signature requirement waived. She stated that orders over $500.00 require a signature. I told her that I do large value shipping in access of $500.00 all the time using the same carriers Tower uses and all you do is ask the carrier to waive the signature and they mark the package "NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED" and it is delivered, simple as that. Tower wouldn't budge so I have decide they are to picky for me and I want to cancel my account with them however I can not find any way to contact them by email to have them remove my account information. Does anyone know how to contact Tower by email? If there is no other way I will FAX them the information but I would rather do it by email.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:26 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Tower Hobbies

Have it shipped to your work site !!! They are an OK company and only looking out for our good. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 12-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing new about that. It can be shipped to a neighbor or it can be picked up at the shippers office. Tower isn't the only one that requires a signature on some orders. A simple phone call and you can cancel your account with them. As Red points out though, shipping to your work or office is the best bet. They have that rule in effect for not only your protection but there own. Just pick up the phone, it only takes a minute or two
Old 12-28-2011, 02:31 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Maybe the clubhouse or even the off-topic of vendor forum would be best for this question. Here's Towers contact page. http://towerhobbies.com/contact.html

Phone is probably best for CS , but here is the e-mail. [email protected]

Even though Tower makes it easy to contact them compared to many vendors I wish they had a forum here or otherwise.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:09 PM
CESSNA 421

Thanks for the good information. As I attempted to explain to the lady taking my order that I have no place to send the item except my home. I don't have any neighbors I would trust with a package and I work long hours at a very secure gov't facility that does not allow personal items to be deliverd to work. I always ask that no sender requires a signature to deliver a package. In the past when some one mistakenly requires a signature I have to let it set at the post office or UPS until the time limit is reached and it is sent back to the sender. They have to then resend it at their expense without a signature requirement.

Since I was going to pay in full with a credit card, it is my decision as to whether or not I want to have the package delivered without a signature and it should be meaningless to Tower since they have received their payment in full.

I just think Tower has grown too large and instead of trying to accomodate the customer they just dicitate petty policys and I also think their attitude is if you don't like it don't buy from them and that is what I am going to do-not buy from them. They are not the only game in town.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:55 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The policy is in place for your protection there are folks who follow around the UPS/Fedex trucks and steal what they leave on customers door steps and around
the holidays its even worse. If it was me I would pick it up from the shipping companies local office.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:06 PM
CESSNA 421

Thanks for the good input. I have checked with other hobby shops and Tower has the best price so I plan on ordering the engine from Tower on Dec 31 to get the $120.00 rebate however I really don't appreciate anyone "protecting me" that went out when I was 8 years old!! As soon as the engine arrives and I determine it is what I need it is goodby to Tower and they can protect someone else that likes to be protected. If they ever change that useless policy I might consider buying from them again.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:37 PM
ira d

Good luck with your new engine FWIW Tower has about the best customer serviceout there and I think you find that most if not all reputable companies wont
ship over a certaint dollar amount without a signature especially if you pay by credit card. Bottom line they dont want a charge back from the cc co if a cust calls
and says they didn't get their merchdise.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:53 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: CESSNA 421

I don't have any neighbors I would trust
there is one of the reasons right there that they ask for a signature.

You can have things shipped to a UPS store... but the signature required requirement is very common nowadays for higher value items... even with smaller companies...
Old 12-29-2011, 01:07 PM
huck1199

Do you have relatives in town? have it shipped to them.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:46 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

This is also protection for them. Without a signature they have no proof you received it. All a person has to do is tell his CC that he didn't get it. He gets his money back and the seller takes the loss.
I own a LHS and do the same with high end orders. Dennis
Old 12-30-2011, 07:30 PM
SCOTT42
My Feedback: (1)

What i have done in the past is leave a note on the door instrcting them to leave it there and sign the note, that works the same as they still get there signature.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:28 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I talked to the UPS local office. They told me to have it shipped to "My Name, My Phone Number" at the UPS office address. When it comes in, they call My Phone Number and ask for me by My Name.

Talk to your UPS folks, have it shipped UPS, and if Tower will do that, it will work.

Or, talk to another local shipper. Or a local business place, like your insurance agent.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 01-01-2012, 05:22 AM
ira d

ORIGINAL: Scar

I talked to the UPS local office. They told me to have it shipped to "My Name, My Phone Number" at the UPS office address. When it comes in, they call My Phone Number and ask for me by My Name.

Talk to your UPS folks, have it shipped UPS, and if Tower will do that, it will work.

Or, talk to another local shipper. Or a local business place, like your insurance agent.

Good luck,
Dave Olson

Most companies will only ship to the addressyour creditcardis registered to.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:30 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: ira d

ORIGINAL: Scar

Good luck,
Dave Olson

Most companies will only ship to the addressyour creditcardis registered to.
Actually,.many companies will ship to other addresses. For example, I've sent flowers and holiday gift baskets to other people. Sometimes when this is done the credit card company will contact the cardholder to confirm the charge is legit, but not always.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:16 PM
ira d

Flowers and gift baskets yes but other types of purchases no. I know this from first hand experience. Also the higher the purchase amount the less leway the
credit card company will be willing to give.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:35 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

assuming the BILLING address is correct and verified.. there are many companies that will ship to a different shipping address.....