Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

charger,cycler

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 05:43 PM
andrew wisc.
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default charger,cycler

Hello all. looking for recomendations for a charger, cycler. use mostly nimh and ni-cads and am slowly getting into electric,although still mostly glow right now.my accucycle (not elite) finally gave up after many years of service. there are way to many on the market to decide. any help greatly appriciated. thanks andrew wisc.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:57 PM
GRandolph

Default RE: charger,cycler

Hello Andrew, I am also just getting into electric. In the past I have purchased 4 and 5 cell nicads and NiMH receiver packs (for my glow planes) and charged them using a Hobbico Accucycle charger this charger costs $100). But, I am disappointed in both of these battery types since they have high internal resistance that seems to get worse after one year of use making them almost unusable.

I bought my first electric plane in November along with a LiPo battery and Turnigy Accucell 6 charger (charger cost just $50). The LiPo battery and charger were all new to me. LiPo's must be balanced when charged and therefore you need a balancing charger such as the Accucell 6. This charger is also capable of charging the new LiFe batteries which must also be balanced during charging. A two cell Life battery pack has 6V, which makes it perfect for replacing my NiCd and NiMH receiver packs. I will be purchasing a couple of these LiFe batteries for this flying season. Do a Google search for NoBSbatteries, they have lots of info on the benefits/drawbacks of the different types of batteries.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:01 PM
andrew wisc.
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks G Randolf. will check them out.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:42 AM
jknox

I too recently found I needed to educate myself in battery chemistries and chargers.After a lot of research I narrowed my choices down to either Cellpro or iCharger.Progressive RC has a handy comparison chart here.I think the iCharger 106B+ is hard to beat for $90.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:57 AM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one of the 4 bank chargers from nitro planes, and it is really handy.

I can set it up for a charge/discharge cycle for Nmh reciever while charging the nicad glow starter and the lead acid in my flight box, and still have a slot to balance charge a lipo.

There is a similar one on the market (hitec?) that has a 110 ac power supply built in, in addition to 12v rc, where mine has 12v input and is used with a power supply when at home.