Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fuel shelf life

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fuel shelf life

Old 12-30-2011, 04:52 PM
  #1  
SCOTT42
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 535
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel shelf life

Ive heard that most fuels have a shelf life, is that true? Ive got a never been open bottle of 10% castoroil omega thats about 10 years old give or take a year or so. Im tired of moveing it around and scared to try it and dont know how or where to get rid of it. Ive just thought about trying a tank full on one of my older engines and see what happens.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:55 PM
  #2  
TFF
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 4,183
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fuel shelf life

If you dont see any separations or anything at the bottom of the jug its fine. I have flown some old Omega that the color turned orange form the pink; it was fuel.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:09 PM
  #3  
cutaway
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lake Worth, FL
Posts: 1,009
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel shelf life

Sunlight will degrade nitromethans. If kept reasonably cool and out of the sun, the shelf life should be many many years. I recently used up about a quart of pure nitromethane mixing up fuel that was sitting tightly capped in a cool dark basement for over 30 years. It was still fine when I opened it up.

The methanol and oil components are pretty durable.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:15 AM
  #4  
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)
 
JohnBuckner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Kingman, AZ
Posts: 10,441
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Fuel shelf life

Use it.

I to have used unopened fuel acquired in buyouts that is indeed very old and used with no problem. If it presents no runing problems for your engine then there is no reason not to use it. I have also used opened half empty jugs of fuel that was at least some years old and with success.

If you still prefer not to use it then use it in another way, do not discard it can be so useful. There is no better (or safer) engine soak than old fuel to clean up or free up old engines. Also for those times when your airplane may have A noseover/ flopover and the engine gets filthy. Spray old fuel to clean off the inside of a cowling and the engine, works wonders to keep you flying.

John
Old 12-31-2011, 08:56 AM
  #5  
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hemderson, NV
Posts: 14,395
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Fuel shelf life


ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Use it.

I to have used unopened fuel acquired in buyouts that is indeed very old and used with no problem. If it presents no runing problems for your engine then there is no reason not to use it. I have also used opened half empty jugs of fuel that was at least some years old and with success.

If you still prefer not to use it then use it in another way, do not discard it can be so useful. There is no better (or safer) engine soak than old fuel to clean up or free up old engines. Also for those times when your airplane may have A noseover/ flopover and the engine gets filthy. Spray old fuel to clean off the inside of a cowling and the engine, works wonders to keep you flying.

John
All of what John said. I have used fuel that was over 20 years old and it was fine. It was never opened and in a can, stored in a case out in a garage so it went through a lot of temp changes over the years. I have used 10 year old fuel that was in clear bottles and it had no problems at all. If it works then fine, if it doesn't work then drain it and run some fresh fuel. As John states, it's a great engine cleaner/soaker. It's also one of the best weed killers I have ever used!!!
Old 12-31-2011, 07:36 PM
  #6  
red head
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Zephyrhills, FL
Posts: 2,102
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Fuel shelf life

I like it when folks think they have old fuel and just want to get rid of it . At 20 + bucks a gallon now , I'll take all the old fuel you want to GIVE me. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 12-31-2011, 07:43 PM
  #7  
SCOTT42
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 535
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel shelf life

I ran it today, burned half a gallon of it today, not a problem at all.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:55 PM
  #8  
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Over da rainbow, KS
Posts: 5,087
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Fuel shelf life

About the only thing that will change in fuel over a very long time is that you may see what looks like cracker flakes floating in the top of the fuel. This was due to the caster oil, but when you filter them out, the fuel was just fine.
Old 01-06-2021, 02:42 AM
  #9  
Stephenlord23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
All of what John said. I have used fuel that was over 20 years old and it was fine. It was never opened and in a can, stored in a case out in a garage so it went through a lot of temp changes over the years. I have used 10 year old fuel that was in clear bottles and it had no problems at all. If it works then fine, if it doesn't work then drain it and run some fresh fuel. As John states, it's a great engine cleaner/soaker. It's also one of the best weed killers I have ever used!!!
Are you sure about your claim, Can I also use it as weed killer?
Asking because I have not found any claim like that on any other webpage. I don't wanna mess up with my garden, you better show any proof or something. Otherwise, it seems like a misleading information.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:11 AM
  #10  
init4fun
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,336
Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Stephenlord23
Are you sure about your claim, Can I also use it as weed killer?
Asking because I have not found any claim like that on any other webpage. I don't wanna mess up with my garden, you better show any proof or something. Otherwise, it seems like a misleading information.
Hmm , brand new to the forum and demanding "proof" for something a guy was joking about in a post 10 YEARS ago ????

Perhaps you'd best stick with "Roundup" , , and while your at it go find yourself a nice gardening forum to haunt with your demands

Last edited by init4fun; 01-16-2021 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:10 AM
  #11  
Stephenlord23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Lol!

Originally Posted by init4fun
Hmm , brand new to the forum and demanding "proof" for something a guy was joking about in a post 10 YEARS ago ????

Perhaps you'd best stick with "Roundup" , , and while your at it go find yourself a nice gardening forum to haunt with your demands
ol!

My friend forwarded it to me, I have not checked anything even dates as I was in hurry!
Lol!
Old 01-18-2021, 12:31 PM
  #12  
init4fun
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,336
Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Stephenlord23
ol!

My friend forwarded it to me, I have not checked anything even dates as I was in hurry!
Lol!
, Ok, cool .... Just know that the gent who posted the wisecrack about using model engine fuel as weed killer was joking, because the alcohol in the fuel pretty much kills all plants it comes in contact with.

Old 02-03-2021, 02:33 PM
  #13  
billinpa
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 105
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

I burn S&W 15% in all my glows, 2 cyc and 4cyc, some is easily 3 yrs old, the engines all run great! Stan from S&W has the best fuel going! Great stuff!
Old 03-30-2021, 04:50 PM
  #14  
tbone4343
My Feedback: (4)
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: arnold, PA
Posts: 185
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

i opened a jug of 10% fuel and went to the field i have a falcon 56 with a kb 35 in it it started right up and idled a ok but as soon as i remove power to glo plug it dies . i tried mixture screws and same thing . as i know the nitro is what keeps the plug hot i am wondering if this is my problem .
Old 03-30-2021, 08:55 PM
  #15  
tedsander
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: White Bear lake, MN
Posts: 750
Likes: 0
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tbone4343
i opened a jug of 10% fuel and went to the field i have a falcon 56 with a kb 35 in it it started right up and idled a ok but as soon as i remove power to glo plug it dies . i tried mixture screws and same thing . as i know the nitro is what keeps the plug hot i am wondering if this is my problem .
Nitro doesn't keep the plug hot. It is the catalytic action of the alcohol with the element of the glow plug. Many places in the world run glow engines with no nitro. Nitro can help with idle, and a bit more top end power. Having it quit as soon as you remove power is a classic sign of a bad glow plug. Replace it.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.