Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

My new DLE 20

Old 01-13-2012, 07:41 PM
kitfox man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new DLE 20

Hey guys i just bought a new dle 20 .... im going to use klotz model lube for two clcles. Dle said run a 30:1 MIX that is 1 gallon of gas to 4.26fl oz i dont have any thing to mix the .26fl oz.
Could i just mix 4.1/2 ? That would be just a little over. Also can i use a 17x6 prop for brake in? Thanks
Old 01-13-2012, 09:43 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My new DLE 20

ORIGINAL: kitfox man

Hey guys i just bought a new dle 20 .... im going to use klotz model lube for two clcles. Dle said run a 30:1 MIX that is 1 gallon of gas to 4.26fl oz i dont have any thing to mix the .26fl oz.
Could i just mix 4.1/2 ? That would be just a little over. Also can i use a 17x6 prop for brake in? Thanks
yeah that will work... 17x6 is the ideal prop fro 3d IMO, or a prop that doesnt go over 8500 or so.... i peak at 8400 on a xoar 17x6 ...

.24 oz i equivalent to 7cc..... you can use a small syringe if you have one handy

for example on my DLE 20 i mix 60cc i have a big syringe and convert cc to ounces , which is 2.029 ounces, then make some calculations... i then pump 0.469 gallons of gas at the pump

i like to mix small batches at a time, since the 20 and 30 are the only engines i run 30:1
Old 01-13-2012, 09:52 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

ORIGINAL: kitfox man

Don't use the Klotz. It is sythetic and will not allow the rings to seat. Use Penzoil 2 stroke oil for the first 2 gallons

Old 01-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

How about using the Klotz as you intended but also add in some Metalon C2 metal conditioner.. It WILL allow the rings to seat despite the excellent slippery nature of the synth oil.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:25 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my last 3 engines DLE 20 , 30 and 55 were broken in on synthetic Stihl Ultra HP sythnth 30:1... i took a couple of engine gurus advice.....

but you cant go wrong with Penz aircooled either,,,, just stay away from lawn fag, and Amsoil

the only engine i trust amsoil is in my truck
Old 01-13-2012, 11:21 PM
Mk23socom

Weird...I love the Amsoil, and Metallica..
Old 01-14-2012, 12:06 AM
LonnieMcc

same here. I run Saber Professional (Amsoil) mix of 2oz per gallon. Makes it roughly 64:1
Old 01-14-2012, 01:48 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Bottom line is oil is oil as long as there is enough in the mix. The only real exception to that is beaking in with synthetic is a no no. Reminds me of a 3D fly-in I went to in 2006. It was 115 degrees that day and about 1/2 hour after I got there I noticed a 30% Yak 54 hovering about 10 ft over the runway. Soon the engine started to sag and eventually quit. The airplane fell to the ground tail first and broke in half just behind the canopy. I went over to the table that it's owner had put it on to offer condolences. I told the owner what a shame as it looked practically new. His reply was " it is, I just switched to Amsoil 100-1 on that flight " Nuff said LOL
Old 01-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I break in with a mix of 32:1 using any good two stroke oil, Lawn Boy Ash less is a good one. Once an engine is broken in then I like the Klotz Super 2 blend. It's synthetic with 20% Castor oil in the mix. I can't say it's the best on the market but it works very well for me. When I find a glow fuel on sale but I feel it needs More oil I just put a couple ounces of this Klotz in the can. It mixes very well with alcohol too.
Oil make can be debated all week long but everyone agrees a full synthetic requires way too much break in time. I know that when used in a brand new car the rings never do seat. A two stroke gas engine will seat but takes forever.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:10 PM
cutaway

Whenever I've rebuilt a car engine from the ground up, I'd run it about 5-10 minutes then drain the oil. It always came out looking like amber colored metallic paint from all the metal that gets removed in the first few minutes running.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:24 PM
Mk23socom

" it is, I just switched to Amsoil 100-1 on that flight " Nuff said LOL
This sort of reminds me of a guy that once told me that I was going to regret buying a Magnum .46 engine because he never had his run right.I started mine up with just a bump from the electric starter, ran it up on the bench, took it out to the runway and proceeded to wring that aircraft out for 14 minutes without so much as a hiccup. It always comes down to one bad experience or seeing someone have that bad experience to turn a fella away from this, that, or the other thing. Point is, nothing works for everyone, and what you find to work for you ends up being your favorite things, even if a hundred guys have had nightmares from it.

It makes me curious about what the guy did that made that engine perform that way.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:59 AM
jetmech05

I just read an article that sums up oil mixture ratios....why run a leaner oil mix when more oil has always been better?....32:1 for break in then no leaner than 50:1.....makes sense to me....I run Red Line at 40:1......
You can break in with synthetic oil but it'll take alot longer.....
100:1 on a new engine...cost him an airplane
Old 01-15-2012, 04:30 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Don't worry about the difference between 30:1 and 32:1. 4 oz of oil to 1 gallon of gas, run it forever on that mix. You'll find arguments for dino oil, synthetic oil, castor, you name it. Bottom line is you'll have to make your own decision based on your type of flying. If you do a lot of 3D that creates lots of heat, you'll want an oil that stands up to the heat without fouling the plug. IMAC style aerobatics keep lots of air moving and the engine will stay cooler. Sunday flyer tooling around the pattern at 1/2 throttle even more so.

Personally, I've been using Red-Line racing oil at 32:1 for the last 16 gallons of fuel that I've used in a DLE-55 (including intial break-in). I don't do 3D (although trying to learn) and spend most of my flying time working on the IMAC Sportsman routine. Prior to the Red-line, I was using Pennzoil (different engine, died after the plane was filtered through a tree line). To be honest, I don't see any performance difference between the two oils yet, but I've been willing to spend a few extra $ to see if the engine lives longer. I also haven't inspected the cylinder head for carbon yet, but will before the season starts in May. The engine with the Pennzoil did have a lot of carbon on the cylinder head, but it never seemed to affect performance, never had to replace a sparkplug (two years running), never had difficulty starting due to an engine issue.

Brad