Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Local pickup on a national selling venue

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Local pickup on a national selling venue

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 05:01 PM
cowmags

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Local pickup on a national selling venue

It sure would be nice if I didn't have to sift through boatloads of local pickup ads to find something I can actually buy and have shipped to me. I'd love to see an uncorrupted classified ad venue with nothing but items for sale by individuals who are willing to discuss shipping. They all start out that way (even E-bay) but get infiltrated quickly. P.S. If I wanted to go to your "E-Store" I'd look up your website and do so!
Old 01-16-2012, 06:59 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Local pickup on a national selling venue

Most sellers will discuss shipping terms with you if you make an offer that's worth their while. Don't expect them to build a shipping container for an airframe for free though. That's why most don't offer shipping on big items, because they'd have to charge you at least $50 shipping and another $50-$100 to spend half a day building a box.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I sell anything I always add Plus shipping. Then I can speak with anyone interested in buying from me. At the moment I am talking shipping one big kit out of state. It's up to the buyer how they want it sent, it's there money, I don't mind driving to UPS or the post office or even the Greyhound terminal for a buyer but how much they want to spend on shipping and by whom is up to them, not me. It's little things like do you want it insured and for how much too.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:40 PM
cowmags

Sorry guys, I'm just a little miffed right now. I just found another "just gotta have" and the guy says "I will not ship so don't ask". I run into that alot and I'm just frustrated. I don't mind paying for something that I want but too many ads say no way to shipping. If only it were possible to filter "LPU" I'd be able to chill out.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: cowmags
Sorry guys, I'm just a little miffed right now. I just found another ''just gotta have'' and the guy says ''I will not ship so don't ask''. I run into that alot and I'm just frustrated. I don't mind paying for something that I want but too many ads say no way to shipping. If only it were possible to filter ''LPU'' I'd be able to chill out.

I'd be willing to bet the seller would reconsider were you to offer to pay the packing and shipping costs. Unfortunately those costs usually drive the price to the point where it's not a "just gotta have" any longer. However, if it's an item you just can't live without then it never hurts to make the offer.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:44 PM
Tarasdad

I just wish those who refuse to ship would have the courtesy to put "LPO" or "no shipping" in the post title. It sure would make it easier to skim through the ads. You refuse to ship, I refuse to buy, even if you're only across town.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:51 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing strange about that either. It just limits the area to sell for the seller. I won't ship a gun when I sell one. Shipping guns can be a big problem these days and not worth my time or trouble. I only sell to those within driving range. That way the buyer can also see what he is buying and we cn go out and test fire it before any money is placed on the table.
If someone isn't willing to ship then just forget about it. The seller may have there own reasons why they don't want to bother. For modeling items I'm not one of those, I will ship. I'm close enough to UPS, FedEx and the US post office. The Bus station is a bit farther away but if an item is going out by bus it's something big and worth the effort on my part.
I have had people come here to pick up more then once. A trip to Vegas can calm a wife that thinks her husband is spending too much on his hobby. You would be surprised at how much more you can spen on a toy after your wife has had an evening out and a good show!!