Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

super sportster 90-120

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

super sportster 90-120

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 12:08 AM
zbo2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default super sportster 90-120

was given this plane minus all the components........i'm kinda rebuilding it cause some stuff just isn't right....and making it a tail dragger to. i'm putting a OS 1.2 Surpass on it and it looks like the all up weight is gonna be around 13 lbs. since i don't have any info on this plane does that sound about right? not much i can do to lighten it up anyway but i want to make sure it's not a piece of lead either...thanks i looked on the great planes site and found the cg and throws but no weight.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:00 AM
ES CONTROL

Default RE: super sportster 90-120

I dont know of a 90 size. SuperSportster.
 But if its a 60 size . Than u have to much power.  
A 60 size Only needs a OS LA 65 . The same HP as a OS 46AX.
On the other hand.
This plane wants to come out tail heavy. so maybe to much engine would be OK.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:58 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That would be in the ball park for the 120, it isn't a small plane. The ARF they have now is advertised at 13 to 14.5 pounds and is calling for a 1.20 to a 2 glow engine and a 32cc gasser.When the kit was still with us you could lighten it up during the build but it is an 80+ inch plane.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:08 AM
zbo2

thanks.....the 90-120 is the 72 inch version i think the giant ARF is at 80 inches. while this plane was built just a little heavy it's gotta be close and this 1.2 Surpass is a 20cc 4 stroke and it"ain't" light so it may only be a pound "over weight". i'd still like to know the what GP said the finished weight was supposed to be.....thanks again
Old 01-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Sorry, I can't remember the weight and the big kit was the first one that went out of production. Several years later the 82 inch ARF came out.I have a couple of the OS 1.20s and I even used one in a 16 pound scratch built Bipe. It flew the plane OK but it was lacking in power if you wanted to do any stunt flying. I had to dive to do a loop and I would have to dive then go vertical to do a stall turn. As for scale flight the 1.20 was just fine but the SS is a stunt plane. I would use the 1.20 without any thought but if it didn't fly the plane the way I wanted it to fly then I would go bigger.
I never buy a new engine unless I have to. I use what I have first and see how things go. You know already the 1.20 will work, you just don't know how well. My building buddy has the 82 inch ARF and he installed a converted Royobi {spelling} 26cc I think. He likes the combo and is very happy with how well the plane flies.
In my case I would try the OS 1.20 first thing. If I wasn't happy with it I would give the DLE 30cc a try if I was going to buy a new engine. On the other hand I have a small RCS 1.40 gasser that is a very high performance 22cc engine. I have used it in a couple of planes, a 13 pound 1/4 scale Extra and the 80 inch Kaos. The Kaos was very heavy but to my surprise the RCS flew the plane beyond my wildest dreams. It flew so well I managed to fold the wing.
I'm betting your 1.20 will fly your SS very well too. There is more to how a plane will fly besides weight and I have flown the SS with a number of engines and was pleased.
I used the SS 60 as a teaching kit for people that wanted to learn to build. I even built the 40 size a few times. I bought the 120 size sort of like yours, it was a kit that had been started and I just finished it. I used a YS 1.20 and it flew very well!! The YS did put out a lot more power then my OS 1.20s though, not great globs but more. That's why I'm betting your 1.20 will work well for you.
It's an outstanding plane, your going to be very happy. All of the sizes of SS flew about the same, I loved mine!
Old 01-22-2012, 10:54 AM
Ed Smith

I have just finished building one of these. Why now you might ask? Well the kit has been "Stored" under my bench for twenty years and I needed a winter project.

The finished weight is not stated in the instruction book or on the plans. Mine weighs 10lb-11ozs ready to fly with an OS 120 4stroke.

I did make some changes. I did not use the great big chunks of maple for the motor mount or the LG mounts. I installed an aluminum gear mounted to the fuselage and a composite motor mount. I did not glue all of the balsa blocks to the nose. I made a glass cowl.

Good Luck,

Ed S
Old 01-22-2012, 01:32 PM
zbo2

thanks guys......... this one had a homemade gasser in it before i got it so the firewall area was built up pretty well and due to cutting some of the front out from the job they did i ended up having to add another 1" of plywood to that. i have a glass cowl from fiberglass specialities on it and it fits great. the tail feathers were also put on cocked so i cut them off and rebuilt and strengthened the back because of problems that i had heard of so that put a little weight on. i'm gonna use 2 servos mounted on the rear sides for the elveator and i put 2 in tthe wings for the alerions......also converted it to a tail dragger and put the heavy blocks in the wings.....a little more weight..lol i guess when its all done i'll post the all up weight.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:59 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I still have mine but have not flown it in years. Keep in mind when this plane was put out. It's a great plane but is going to be heavy compared to modern designs. It's also tougher than most modern planes. Mine flys with a ST 90 up front. It has plenty of power but verticle is not unlimited. A 1.20 should be a good match for it. The 90-1.20 did have a week point in the tail. Too much throw and too much speed will sheer the stab. If you fly hard, some flying wires on the tail would be a good idea.

David
Old 01-24-2012, 07:10 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

"The 90-1.20 did have a week point in the tail. "

Yep, they even came out with a 'kit' to resolve that problem - in my case that was too late but it sure did a nice flat spin (inverted) to the ground and didn't even break my prop! Set the plane on the workbench at the field and only damage (other than losing the tailfeathers) and wind came along and the dumb thing fell and snapped the prop in half! Used an OS 1.08 on mine - in fact I built two of those planes...nice flying to say the least.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:26 PM
SRQFlyer
My Feedback: (17)

I had a "rebuilt" SS 90-120 back about 12 years ago. The original had a Maloney 100 in it (arrrgh). I remade the cheeks and had an ASP .91 2/s (OK) and then an old Saito 1.20 4/s (much better) in it. I don't know what it weighed.

I currently have one that I built in 2003, sold in 2004 and bought back from the same guy in 2011. It has a Thunder Tiger 1.20 2/s and weighs exactly 10 lbs. dry. I think 12 or 13 lbs. seems a bit heavy, as that would be approaching 2 lb/ sq. ft. I still have the instructions and will check tomorrow on what is stated as the anticipated weight.

No matter what, you will love this plane!

Hah! I checked the original instruction manual and NO weight! The weight psoted above is for tail-dragger and no wheel pants.

Regards,
Jim
Old 01-25-2012, 07:13 PM
zbo2

well this is gonna be a tail dragger but i've got glass pants and cowl from fiberglass specialities. no doubt i've added a little weight to the wings going to a tail dragger. and using extra ply on the front for the engine...and beefing up the tail...i'll post some pic's as soon as im able......had a hernia repaired yesterday and i'm a hurtin pupply right now!