Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

HOB Extra 300L

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 03:31 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOB Extra 300L

For those of you familiar with the House of Balsa Extra 300L,, has anyone installed a .91 four stroke on it? I have the plane built and have two engines available to put on it, an OS .46SF and an OS .91 Surpass. Is the .91 too much engine for it? Or too heavy? Any opinions appreciated. If neither of those engines is right, what do you suggest?
Old 02-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Redback

Default RE: HOB Extra 300L

Mine needed weight at the tail with a Saito 65 in it. As this is not a lght plane to begin with the 2 cycle might be a better strategy.

Terry
Old 02-05-2012, 09:21 PM
JollyPopper

Terry, do you remember how much yours weighed with the .65 in it? And how did it perform with that engine? I have not weighed mine yet but I will try to remember to do so tomorrow. I have the .46 mounted temporarily in it and am just finishing the fuel tank plumbing. Everything else is in it but the battery is not secured so I can move it around a bit. I will weigh it and balance it and see where I stand then.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Redback

Still got the model but not the engine! I'll try and weight it without tonight (I'm at work now).

It flew pretty well with the Saito 65, no 3D-er but plenty for a reasonable aerobatic performance. One advantage with the 4c is that it was easy to fit the muffler into the balsa cowl.

I used Sig Coverall on the wings and painted the whole thing.

Terry
Old 02-08-2012, 12:25 AM
Redback

Power was out last night due to a storm!

Mine is currently without engine and Rx but has servos. In this condition it weighs just about 4 lbs.

Hope this helps

Terry
Old 02-09-2012, 11:28 AM
JollyPopper

I finally got around to weighing mine and with everything in it the weight is 5.65 lbs. This is with the OS Max .46SF in it and an empty tank. The .46 should fly it but it sure won't be a stump puller. I was looking around and found a good OS .61FSR not currently in a plane. If this thing is a dud, I may try that. I really think the .91 Surpass is just too much engine for this plane. I haven't tried balancing it yet but just picking it up with my fingertips under the main spar, it hangs really tail down. A lot tail down. Maybe the .91 isn't too big.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62061.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1725071