Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Mono-Kote Questions

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Mono-Kote Questions

Old 02-29-2012, 02:35 AM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mono-Kote Questions

I am getting ready to re-cover my TF Corsair with Mono-kote and was wondering what are some of the methods to avoid (or minimize) the proverbial bubbles and creases that get between the covering and the balsa sheeting? I have heard that spraying a preliminary layer of hairspray works, picking the balsa surface with a "woodpecker" tool, using SIG "STIX-IT" will prevent bubbling and give a good secure long lasting taut finish. I've also heard that the flat finish versions of Mono-Kote do not adhere as well as the regular finish. What's the best iron temps and is a heat gun with a glove a good way to go? All ideas and recommendations are greatly appreciated! Note - I am not interested in glassing as it is too time consuming for me. Please post pics if available.

Happy Flying!

Loopman
Old 02-29-2012, 03:19 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Mono-Kote Questions

For me the simplest most effective way to avoid bubbles in the finished job is to avoid using the covering iron as much as possible. Only use the covering iron at the edge of a piece of covering to adhere the edges. Don't slide the iron. Put it down on the covering and roll the iron over the edge, particularly at wingtips, leading edges, and any corners. Once the edges are all adhered, use the covering heat gun and shrink the covering to fit. Always blow the heat away from the nearest edges. When its all shrunk smooth, use a soft cloth while its still hot to press down and adhere the middle.

Make sure everything is clean before you start. Watch Minnflyers videos on covering. He shows you how to pull and heat the covering over compound curves (seeing this video changed my life )

Work with the largest piece of covering you can, work back to front, bottom to top so your edges are less likely to peel.

Did I mention watching the videos?

Brad
Old 02-29-2012, 05:39 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

That method works really well on wings but not very well on the fuse. Two things that I see all the time. One get the wood as clean as possible. I dust airplanes just prior to covering with an old black T shirt. It usually takes going over it 10-12 times while shaking the dust out of the shirt after each time to stop pulling balsa dust off the wood. With the black shirt, you can see what is actually coming up off the wood. Second, don't use too much heat and while applying, don't count on much shrinkage, pull it as tightly on the surface as you can. Ok that was more then 2 things but you get the idea.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:56 AM
mikegordon10

Or you avoid all these problems by using Ultracoat instead. Gawd I just love stirring the pot.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:16 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

Yes Ultracote is easier to apply but all the info I stated in my last post would still apply. Myself, I have gone to using Ultracote for the base covering and use Monokote for trim.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:16 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Most bubbling is caused by using too much heat. Every heat gun is different, so start low and work up to the absolute minimum temperature that will make the covering stick.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:38 AM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bubbles between sheeting and film - when covering give the hot air somewhere to escape. If the entire surface is sheeted, seal the film to the perimeter leaving some gap(s) in the seal - maybe 1/2" gap. Then, when applying heat to shrink the film use a soft cloth (or glove) to smooth the film and work your way towards the gap. Don't seal the gap until all of the sheeted area served by this gap have been shrunk-n-smoothed. Some use a sock on a standard iron for this purpose.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:03 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Double post.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:04 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

How about not overheating it. Turn the temp of your iron down until it just barely sticks the MonoKote down. Then gently rub in circles until it firmly locks the covering into the sheeting. The usual problem is too much heat. Overheat it and you'll bubble for sure. Warm it slowly and to the right temp, it'll stick and bubbles will be minimalized.

Check out my Skybolt, post 1057 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_60...43/key_/tm.htm. Nothing but MonoKote over MonoKote. All with as low a temp as possible and lots of rubbing, it takes time. Then let it cool down and rub some more.

Dave