Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Need ideas for next airplane!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Need ideas for next airplane!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 05:04 PM
jetblast96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need ideas for next airplane!

Hey everyone,
Just totalled a new kit build :'(, Sig Somethin' Extra .40. Only the third flight. Aileron failure (you learn from the crashes I suppose).
So I believe every part is salvagable and I need some ideas for an airplane to throw it into. Here are the parts:

Saito .62
(4) DS821 servos

Those are pretty much all the deciding factors when it comes to what plane to choose. Looks to me like it will have to be a .40 nitro. I'm looking for either:

Sport
Aerobatic
Scale

Let me know what ideas you guys have! I can do kits, ARF's, or ARC's. With kits, I need a simple build (only built one before).

Thanks a lot,
Mike
Old 03-11-2012, 05:14 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Need ideas for next airplane!

This is a honey!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1370
Old 03-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

This is a honey!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1370
I haven't gotten to fly anything in a few months but I have read several reviews on this new little Stinger and it seems to be a winner. I loved flying the giant stinger. The only Lanier kit I hated to see go.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:00 AM
yel914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going out on a limb here to suggest you build another Somethin" Extra. With only 3 flights on it, you never really got to appreciate the joy of that plane. Besides, you already know how to build one so it should go pretty quickly. I lost mine to the similar problem, servo arm over-rotated and stuck. Corkscrewed it in at high speed up the windscreen. Sigh...I miss that plane. I should build another one!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:36 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

I'll ditto that. I love my SSE. If you want a little quicker and simpler build that flies very similar, Tower Hobbies uproar, or a Dazzler if you can find a kit. Both of these also come in ARF. If you want to go ARF and a little more docile, you might look at the Escapade.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:23 AM
jetblast96

Hmm the escapade looks pretty cool.
The SSE idea is hard for me... it's been so soon and that was my first ever kit build. The build would go faster but I'm afraid that it's too much work doing 2 kit builds back to back. I need to put in some thinking... it was a ton of fun for the 2 1/2 flights I had it for...
Actually I have an idea. Maybe I can find the ARF version. It isn't cheating if I built it already and man that plane was fun...
Also there seems to be another interesting plane: what's your take on the Sig Mayhem .40?
Mike
Old 03-12-2012, 12:15 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
One of the best sport planes on the market today is the Kyosho Calmato Sports! It's a low winged airplane capable of most manuevers and it's very easy to handle!
Old 03-12-2012, 12:18 PM
dignlivn

There's also the Kaos (kit) or small Revolver (arf).

Bob
Old 03-12-2012, 05:43 PM
JollyPopper

Another really fun airplane that handles like it's on rails and from the same company as the SSE is Sig's Four Star series. With that .62, you'd probably want a .40 size, but those little puppies handle the wind very well and are a blast to fly.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:35 AM
hugger-4641

ORIGINAL: jetblast96

Hmm the escapade looks pretty cool.
The SSE idea is hard for me... it's been so soon and that was my first ever kit build. The build would go faster but I'm afraid that it's too much work doing 2 kit builds back to back. I need to put in some thinking... it was a ton of fun for the 2 1/2 flights I had it for...
Actually I have an idea. Maybe I can find the ARF version. It isn't cheating if I built it already and man that plane was fun...
Also there seems to be another interesting plane: what's your take on the Sig Mayhem .40?
Mike

I hadn't heard of the Mayhem until now, looks like a mid-wing SSE, should fly pretty good, I may have to get one myself.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:28 AM
jetblast96

I seem to be really back-and-forth on deciding another plane.
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll get a nice scale, easy going airplane. The Hangar 9 cub .40 looks really nice to me, I remember really wanting one about 7 years ago when I started flying. I think I may go ahead with that.
My decision isn't totally made just yet, though

Mike