Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

zenoah g38

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 09:45 PM
orthobird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default zenoah g38

hello
i have a GP giant stick with 80" WP
with a Zenoah G38

today was the official maiden flight, due to the first 2 flights having a crash soon after takeoff.

today was a great day in that, for the first time (3rd times a charm), i was able to land plane in one piece.

here is what happened:

went to airfield, gassed her up, started the engine, 18 x 10 zinger prop.

it was throtthling well,

then taxi on run way, and i did one final check, by now, engine was warm, and outside temp was 83 degrees F.

as i did check with throttle, i noticed the engine, upon applying full throtlle, sounded like it was without enough gas, i spent about 10 minutes trying to tune it, and i found i had to turn high speed needle out about 4 1/2 turns total, which is a lot, it should be about 2 1/4 to 2 and 1/2.

i was finally able to fully gas it, but still did not sound right, however, engine was not shutting off,

so i took plane off, and flew it for 5 minutes, i was high up in sky, and got a dead stick.

i was able to deploy flaps, and glided plane in no problems at all.

once on the ground, i regassed her, and turned engine on, i removed in line filter, thinking maybe this was not wroking well, and it appeared to be doing well.

turned on engine and before i tool off, my friend was trying to raise tail of plane to turn it 180 degrees, to face plane into wind, and when he did so, he elevated tail and prop hit ground and was destroyed.

i then found a 18 x 8 scimitar wood prop in my car, and installed it,
turned on engine, and it seemed to rev higher.

so i was able to take plane off and fly for 10 minutes with a beautiful landing.

i was able to do loops, rolls, immelmans.

for some reason, i believe, the 18 x 10 zinger prop was over loading the engine,

any thoughts???
Old 04-08-2012, 03:23 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: zenoah g38

I would go into the gas engine forum and look around and see what others with the old 38 are using and doing. I love the Zinoahs but haven't had a 38 in a few years. I do have a Brison 40 and it likes the Xoar 20 inch in 6 and 8 pitch when installed in most planes. Props do make a big difference and I spend a day testing props then give the engine/plane combo what it likes. Trouble is the price of the props limits a person when we get into the bigger props. If you go to swap meets it's a good idea to keep your eyes open for props in your engine sizes. Different brands make a big difference too. I found my Zinoah G-62 also likes the Xoar props better then the zingers.