Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Radio choice

Old 05-13-2012, 08:49 PM
trike_flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio choice

Hello All

I was at my LHS and tried a sim. My luck I fly horible. So before trying to fly my champ for the first time Iwant some sim time. Of course you cannot use the provided controller with a sim. I also know that I want a futaba radio because most of the info for max range on the differant types of radios say they have the longest range. My opinion is if I get a radio that I can fly my plane farther than I can see it then it will be safer when I go behind an object while flying. More wave= less chance of signal loss.

So here is my problem.Do I get another spektrum type radio, one thathas buddy port,knowing that I will be getting a futaba in the future? I could get a FMradio from futaba and put in the spektrum module and get the fasst one so I can use the same radio for both my park flyers and the longer range ones. I could also forget about the spektrum radio and buy the new futaba 7 or 8 chanel I want, using it with the sim. IfI go this route I use the provided controller for my BNF aircraft I have now.

Any advice is what I need so I can make up my mind on this.

Thanks all

TF
Old 05-13-2012, 10:59 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Radio choice

ORIGINAL: trike_flyer

Hello All

I also know that I want a futaba radio because most of the info for max range on the differant types of radios say they have the longest range. My opinion is if I get a radio that I can fly my plane farther than I can see it then it will be safer when I go behind an object while flying. More wave= less chance of signal loss.

Hi TF, I beleve you are basing your choice entirely on your flawed assumptions above and making your choice of systems entirely on that assumption is not in your best interest. First and most important All five of the major's will be very similar in max range if you compare apples to apples. In other words you cannot compare a limited range park flyer Receiver to a full performance receiver and all the majors have and do produce limited range park Receivers.

Actually maximum usable range at best is almost imposible to ascertain anyway. Also line of sight blockage of a signal by an object is not a function of range as you suggest. One example of object blocking of a signal is when we do cross country flying either 72 or 2.4, we fly from the back of a moving open pickup. We have to be very carefull sitting low in the bed that we do not lower the transmitter to low in our laps or the sides of the pickup blocks the signal and we lose control every time untill raising the Tx. This has nothing to do with range of the individual brand of radio system.

I am not even gonna say what brand I fly and train the fellows with because these types of threads always kinda turn into typing contests and thats pointless for me.

I just wanted to say you need to base your choices more on system capabilitys and help you may require in hands on use of those systems from your mentors.

John[8D]
Old 05-14-2012, 04:22 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I agree with John,,usable range if fine for all the top brands, and not something to base your choice on

You can get a Sim that comes with a mock controller,, those work fine,, also I wouldn't base my choice on it being compatible with a Sim.

But,,, If you want to use it with your BNF airplanes then that's a good reason to get the JR/Spec.

I've run Futaba and I've been happy with my equipment for over 30 years, but those BNF planes are not on the radar for me.. If they were I'm pick up a Cheap 6 channel JR Tx for just them, or a module for one of my older TXs

good luck
Old 05-14-2012, 07:12 AM
trike_flyer

Thanks for the reply.

I see what you mean about the range thing as I just found a test that proved they are about the same.  I picked the futaba because I have used them for about 20 yrs in my rc cars with no problems. 

I found a tread that may have made up my mind.  It lets you plug a spektrum module into your futaba to fly the BNF planes.  The fact that most radios have buddy ports is a benafit and I know I will be buying a better TX anyway, it is just a matter of what is the better way to go.

TF

Old 05-14-2012, 01:24 PM
jetmech05

I agree with what has been said.
But if it were me, knowing what I know now...I'd buy a radio that all the channels and features I want now....I would not buy cheap now and better later. There is nothing a cheap radio can do that a bigger radio can't.
I would not buy a 72 MHz even with a module.
I don't fly the brand that has bind in fly.....But if that is what you're intrested in get that brand
Old 05-14-2012, 07:51 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

All good info to this point but I would also like to add that actual range has more to do with the aircraft then it does with the radio. Example, a sailplane has less internal noise then a Jet or a large scale airplane equipped with an ignition system. Regardless of what brand of radio used, reduced range is usually user induced.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:08 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't think of any brand of radio that can't fly a plane a lot farther then I can see it. Radio's are a personal choice and over the years I have seen some pretty strange reasons why people choose what they do. I have been using the same radio for a couple of decades, I have changed it over to 2.4 with a new module but that just says how much I like my radio!! I'm also not brand loyal, If I was to buy a new radio tomorrow it would be what John is using!!! It's the brand I started with by the way. I still have that radio too!!
Old 05-15-2012, 05:39 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A radio that allows you to fly further than you can see is going to make it awful hard to find the pieces of the model.  Better it drops within sight so you can collect the salvagable bits.  ;-)

I'm a fan of Futaba - but the main reason I got started there was that was what most of the instructors at our club used and it make it easy to get on a buddy box.  Sucks to show up with an odbball radio set that no one can help you with.