Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Thinning out epoxy with isopopryl alcohol

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Thinning out epoxy with isopopryl alcohol

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 10:45 AM
FlyingGatsby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinning out epoxy with isopopryl alcohol

I need to fuel proof a piece of bass wood, can I think out the epoxy with 70% isopopryl alcohol?
Old 05-28-2012, 10:51 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Thinning out epoxy with isopopryl alcohol

higher percentage is better....but yes you can
Old 05-28-2012, 10:54 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

No, go get some denatured alcohol. Its mostly alcohol. Rubbing alcohol has water in it that will cause you problems.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:49 AM
FlyingGatsby

What kind of problems? I'm just fuel proofing.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:13 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sometimes, not always but sometimes the epoxy will stay tacky if you use 70% alcohol, that is 30% water. Most of us use 91%. Same alcohol, just less water. Usually the 70% works just fine but it's that one time it doesn't that will make you start stocking 90% in your shop. Try it, if it is tacky clean it up with acetone and do it over, not the end of the world.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:34 PM
fledermaus

You can also thin epoxy with acetone, which is usually available with much less water. It evaporates more quickly however, so if you are taking a long time to get coverage the viscosity of the epoxy will change during application.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:30 PM
FlyingGatsby

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

Sometimes, not always but sometimes the epoxy will stay tacky if you use 70% alcohol, that is 30% water. Most of us use 91%. Same alcohol, just less water. Usually the 70% works just fine but it's that one time it doesn't that will make you start stocking 90% in your shop. Try it, if it is tacky clean it up with acetone and do it over, not the end of the world.
Okay, I see. How much alcohol should I mix in?

Old 05-28-2012, 05:31 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you build regularly, you might want to just buy some 20 minute Finish Cure epoxy. It's already thinned out and works great full strength for what you're trying to do. Also works for applying fiberglass cloth. Just be sure that you don't try to use it as epoxy glue!

Dave
Old 05-28-2012, 06:41 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

heat works to thin the epoxy also, and doesn't affect the curing aside from making it faster. I'd suggest 1 hr because of that.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: FlyingGatsby

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

About this much. TLAR. How thin do you want it. Jester just brought up heat, just mix some 30 min. epoxy up and heat it with your covering gun until it is runny enough to use.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:23 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Old habits perhaps die hard, I use plain old rubbin alcohol (so cheap) and it has never failed me for, well a really long time.

Heat does work also but my preferance is to not have to pull out and put away the heat gun when I can just drip a little 'Rubbin' with an old acid brush.

To answer your question drip one drop at a time in to the just mixed epoxie bubble untill the mix turns milky white and the mixture will freely drip off your raised brush.

The working time for brushing is short so more rubbin drips may be added to extend a little. For this reason keep the batchs small.

John
Old 05-29-2012, 06:08 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you already have rubbing alcohol around, yes you can use it if the epoxy is to fuel proof.

Water does weaken the epoxy mix so it's not perfect for everything however. Acetone is epoxy thinner. It usually says that on the can. It's also quite useful for wiping excess CA off iron-on film, or cleaning off a surface that needs an iron-on patch. It does not weaken the epoxy, so it's best to use thinning epoxy you want full strength from.

It's cheap.
It's better when strength matters.
It does other things for you.
It is epoxy thinner.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:17 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Why not use 24 hour epoxy (that you use to cover wings/fuselages with ) instead! Flows like thick milk!
Old 05-29-2012, 07:17 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Epoxy isnt 100% fuel proof. use a thin layer of epoxy the spray with acrylic clear coat to fuel proof.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:24 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You shouldn't dilute more than 30%by volume.

Whatever you add to epoxy -thinning agents, c. silica, flocked fiberglass, wood dust, etc - ALWAYSmix the epoxy well first and let it set a half-minute (longer for the30minute &longer hardeners)to link before adding your adulterations. You will get much better results.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:10 AM
jmpups

The best product I could find to fuel proof aiplane engine areas and firwalls is Zap Finishing Resin. It has a much looser consistancy that brushes on like paint, fills in all the voids and goes alot farther than thinned exopy. Jmpups
Old 05-29-2012, 08:21 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I prefer thinning 30 minute epoxy, especially for larger firewalls. But it will stay tacky for about 4 or 5 hours. It flows out and looks amazing. Best to do it just before bedtime rather than waste a day waiting for it to dry.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:38 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to fuel proof a piece of bass wood, can I think out the epoxy with 70% isopopryl alcohol?
As you can see, there are as many opinions on this subject as there are modelers responding.

Short answer, for fuel proofing yes you can use it. Are 91% isopropyl (WallMart), acetone and/or denatured alcohol (Home Depot and Lowes) better for this? Yes they are because they leave a minimum of water behind, except they aren't really necessary for a simple fuel proofing application. Water will dry fine if the coating is thin enough.

How thin? I have used 1 part resin 1 part hardener and 1 part thinner (any of the above, I've used them all at one time or other). I mix the epoxy firts and let it sit for 10 minutes, then thin it

Some one mentioned heat and that's fine, but it could build up weight if not careful. Same for finishing resin, either epoxy or polyester.

I use epoxy paint, clear or colored depending on whether I have to match the plane's color. BTW, if you thin epoxy with any of the above, you may need two coats to fully seal the wood
Old 05-29-2012, 09:58 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Gatsby in my climate and the climate that I have lived in most of my life (of course I cannot speak for your climate) you do not even need to use the 91% rubbing alcohol, Yes the the 70% works just fine.

In my climate it is ridiculous to spend five times the money on the alcohol (denatured) when uneeded. Rubbing stuff is only a couple of bucks good grief give it a try, you likely may even already have some in your medicine cabinet.

This is not about strength, is about fuel proofing and that is the original question. It works great and can be done rapidly without much effort.

John
Old 05-29-2012, 10:03 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ask an expert. http://www.seqair.com/skunkworks/Glu.../Thinning.html
Old 05-29-2012, 11:17 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

I use dope to fuelproof fuel tank areas, firewalls, and sometimes use clear to seal monokote edges and seams. Penetrates great. I have some 'Poly-U' also that is very good.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Gatsby in my climate and the climate that I have lived in most of my life (of course I cannot speak for your climate) you do not even need to use the 91% rubbing alcohol, Yes the the 70% works just fine.

In my climate it is ridiculous to spend five times the money on the alcohol (denatured) when uneeded. Rubbing stuff is only a couple of bucks good grief give it a try, you likely may even already have some in your medicine cabinet.

This is not about strength, is about fuel proofing and that is the original question. It works great and can be done rapidly without much effort.

John
John, when the Walgreen's around the corner has it on sale all three percentages are the same price, 89 cents a quart. May as well buy the alcohol instead of the water. I agree, over thinking fuel proofing, something that simple. I just saw dope mentioned too, used that to do complete planes more then once. The complete Rascal when it was a solid balsa FF, the Dakota too. 101 ways to do something simple.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:38 PM
wally3185
My Feedback: (26)

I use Rustoleum oil based enamel , work's well, but takes overnight to dry (24 hrs).
Old 05-29-2012, 05:08 PM
fred985

why not just use old fashion DOPE,,,it drys in minutes and is totally fuelprof.??,,,
Old 05-29-2012, 05:19 PM
Yucholian
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

Ask an expert. http://www.seqair.com/skunkworks/Glu.../Thinning.html

Why? I thought everyone on the internet (especially forums like this) are experts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.