Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

battery charger

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

battery charger

Old 06-03-2012, 12:17 PM
EAD78
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery charger

Just wondering if anyone knew of a battery charger for Nicad batterys that could be hooked up 24/7. I have a charger for my truck called Battery Tender that I leave hooked up when not in use. It would be nice to go at a moment notice with charged batteries.
Thanks,
EAD78
Old 06-03-2012, 12:26 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: battery charger

why not just hook up a timer to your wall chargers,, you know the kind you use for xmas lights, you could set it to come on for a couple hours a day, that should work without overheating the packs or chargers

good luck
Old 06-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Stick 40

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

why not just hook up a timer to your wall chargers,, you know the kind you use for xmas lights, you could set it to come on for a couple hours a day, that should work without overheating the packs or chargers

good luck
This is not a bad idea, but how much time to set it for and have the batterys fully charged.

some of the newer chargers are cheap and will peek charge a battery in no time. I have one that costs $39 from hobby king and does everything
Old 06-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much any charger that goes into trickle mode after charging.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:55 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could also get a fast charger which will have you ready to go in 30 minutes or less. Just a thought and Good Luck, Dave
Old 06-03-2012, 08:06 PM
jester_s1

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The wall warts on a timer work nicely to keep a fully charged battery ready to go. So you'd charge it normally, then have it turn on for about an hour a day.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:24 AM
Kaos Rulz

Ditto!
Old 06-04-2012, 03:46 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I thought that was the question,, how to trickle for long periods of time

ORIGINAL: DavidAgar

You could also get a fast charger which will have you ready to go in 30 minutes or less. Just a thought and Good Luck, Dave
That is the nice thing about the modern chargers and batteries,, you really don't have to worry about charging over night any more,, I have three portable chargers,, my oldest is a hitec 335 I bought almost 20 years ago,, still great for the nicd and nimh packs,, it lives in my flight box and a lipo/a123 charger lives in my TX case
Old 06-05-2012, 08:12 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

I use the timer method and have had good results. I use the wall wart charger that came with my transmitter set the timer for one hour on per day. Arguably, this should be kinder to your packs than using a peak detect charger.

This is discussed in detail here: http://www.hangtimes.com/keeping_your_packs_ready.html
Old 06-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Stick 40

ORIGINAL: JPMacG

I use the timer method and have had good results. I use the wall wart charger that came with my transmitter set the timer for one hour on per day. Arguably, this should be kinder to your packs than using a peak detect charger.

This is discussed in detail here: http://www.hangtimes.com/keeping_your_packs_ready.html
Glad you said "Arguably", putting in unwanted voltage to any battery is questionable. No matter how you set the timer, there is ether a under charge or over charge condition . Any over charging is producing heat and its not good for the battery.

A peek charger is going to stop charging at a small level below full charge.

at least that is the way I understand the peek chargers.

sticks